• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Patrunkenphat7

Patrunkenphat7

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:09 AM

This is my attempt at making a gunline with some big guns and a big ol' horde of Hammerers holding up the middle of my army.  Everything in the list is pretty self-explanatory. The heroes get placed with the Hammerers in a 10x4 horde.  The Quarrelers are each in 10x2 gunlines.  The Thunders and Rangers help protect war machines from flanking chaff/scouts.  I am currently a Vampire Counts player with no experience playing with Dwarfs, so please give input.  Thanks!

Heroes: 246

Thane

-BSB

-Master Rune of Grungni

-Shield

Runesmith

-Rune of Spellbreaking

-Rune of Stone

-Shield

Core: 690

20 Quarrelers

-Standard

-Musician

-Shields

20 Quarrelers

-Standard

-Musician

-Shields

10 Thunderers

-Shields

Special: 1197

38 Hammerers

-Master Rune of Valaya

-Full Command

Cannon

-Rune of Forging

-Rune of Burning

Cannon

-Rune of Forging

Cannon

-Rune of Burning

Grudge Thrower

-Rune of Penetrating

-Rune of Accuracy

-Rune of Burning

Rare: 365

Organ Gun

-Rune of Accuracy

-Rune of Burning

Organ Gun

-Rune of Accuracy

5 Rangers

Total: 2498

ALTERNATIVE LIST:

There is no true anvil in the gunline list, so maybe including an anvil with less small firearms would be a better way of supplementing the war machines.  Enter Longbeards.  I'd place them in a 6x5 formation next to the Hammerers where they will receive the BSB Grungni buff.  I've also dropped the Rangers in favor of Runes of Slowness in both infantry blocks. A failed charge seems like it can really change the game when the opponent is staring down dual Organ Guns with Runes of Accuracy.  Please give any input you have on Rune of Slowness, but in theory it's sweet since the runes will subtract 3.5" on average from opponents' charges.  There is a 2nd unit of Thunderers to make up for dropping the Rangers.  These guys guard the war machine flanks.  I'm putting the Runesmith in the Longbeards for the AP buff.

Heroes: 281

Thane

-BSB

-Master Rune of Grungni

-Rune of Slowness

-Shield

Runesmith

-Rune of Spellbreaking

-Rune of Stone

-Shield

Core: 722

29 Longbeards

-Rune of Slowness

-Full Command

-Shields

10 Thunderers

-Veteran w/ Brace of Pistols

-Shields

10 Thunderers

-Veteran w/ Brace of Pistols

-Shields

Special: 1201

39 Hammerers

-Master Rune of Valaya

-Full Command

Cannon

-Rune of Forging

-Rune of Burning

Cannon

-Rune of Forging

Grudge Thrower

-Rune of Penetrating

-Rune of Accuracy

Grudge Thrower

-Rune of Penetrating

Rare: 295

Organ Gun

-Rune of Accuracy

-Rune of Burning

Organ Gun

-Rune of Accuracy

Total: 2499

A couple basic Dwarf rules questions:

-Please explain Brace of Pistols + stand and shoot in a unit of Thunderers.  I think this works like I think it does, but I will feel better about it if someone can explain and confirm.

-Does the Old Grumblers rule in the Longbeards stack with the BSB reroll?  Crossing my fingers for 'yes'...

Thanks!

Edited by Patrunkenphat7, 10 June 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#2 Gimlisonofgloin

Gimlisonofgloin

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

Im a big fan of that second list though I have not had very good luck personally with the grudge throwers unless you are fighting a squishy army that likes to clump on in tight masses.  Though with the runes of penetration if you do get the hit it will be far better then the regular shot.  Still though I think thats a lot of points for something that will be mostly effective on large squishy units so it really depends on who you are playing.   If you are going for more of the firing line theme then it seems like you have it a little stacked to the close combat side by way of the unit of 40 hammerers and the 30 LBs.  You have a very balanced force right now and it will do very well at forcing the enemy toward you with all the war machines plugging at them and then the close combat will be fierce with that horde of hammerers but if you're looking to ravage the enemy before they ever get near you maybe consider taking those units down a bit and throwing some rangers or gyros(which i would probably us in place of a grudge thrower or two anyways) to throw off the enemy and force them where you want them(or away from where you don't want them) and some quarrelers and iron drakes.  iron drakes can be devastating with the RoSlowness on them since they always get the stand and shoot with the quick to fire and are already a strong fighting unit with their base stats and the ward save in place of the parry.  either way you have a pretty neat list and with a few things moved around you could take on most armies pretty fairly.

to answer your questions the brace of pistols I believe gives them quick to fire so that they have something to shoot even when the enemy is too close for the handguns but to be totally honest i don't see much use for them.  and the old grumblers rule since it only apples to panic and fear and all probably does not stack but I can not say for certain and i would hope it would stack haha.  so Im going to pretend its a yes until i hear otherwise though thats probably wrong. Good luck with the lists!

#3 Patrunkenphat7

Patrunkenphat7

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Thanks so much for the response!  Very good advice.

#4 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:59 AM

They're probably equal in my book. I love shieldbeards, but the first is a marginally better gunline (by definition). The first probably wins out for me because it's got 3 cannons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gunline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users