• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Stuntymike

Stuntymike

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Greetings fellow Dawi, I've just learned that a local tournament, taking place in July, will allow the Anvil to be taken for a mere 100 points.

I haven't worked out for myself if it's enough to tempt me yet but I'd love to hear what everyone else's thoughts are on the matter.

So worth taking at 100pts?

Thanks in advance folks.

#2 Gotrong Gudmundsson

Gotrong Gudmundsson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Not at all. Wastes the Runelords AP and MR2. Wastes a lot of points on spells you're gonna have to 6 dice to get through, and you're lacking the +4 to cast others have to dispel with.

#3 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

Yea, it is still not worth it at that I think. 50 or 75 points maybe and an upped toughness.

#4 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

you still have to pay full for a runeloerd, right? Not sure I'd even take it for 10 :)

#5 stuntyogre

stuntyogre

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

Runelords and smiths belong in combat units where their mere presence gives the unit two buffs, you get neither with the Anvil as Gotrong said and he's still twice the price of a smith for only a marginally better statline. It's not the just the price that kills this selection, it is that plus poor spell choices, plus no bonus to cast, plus not being resilient enough for the pts you pay. Just a big pail of fail

Stick with whatever magical defense you'd go with otherwise Stuntymike, it's nice they extended the helping hand but declining is fine

#6 Stuntymike

Stuntymike

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

To be honest I still don't think I'd go anywhere near it either as it's just of so little use. Just wondered if it would encourage anyone else to bite!

#7 Narnor

Narnor

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

If its 100 for the Anvil and Runelord You god a Deal ;-) the Runelord is better in a unit Than on an Anvil. The only good Thing about the Anvil is 25% chance for IF +1 AS and 2d6 Str 4 hits and +1 DD.

#8 datalink7

datalink7

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

I'm not sure I'd take an anvil at 0 points (free). To get it, you already have to waste points by getting a Runelord, and then waste further potential (magic resistance and armor piercing to a unit) by having him on the anvil not providing those bonuses.

#9 Hoffa

Hoffa

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

No, just no. The anvil would be a debatable choice at 0 points. It is really that bad.

#10 Gormadon

Gormadon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

I have an idea for an anvil list to take in a campaign mostly against O&G. I wouldn't be worried about their magic so much at least, because they don't have any of the auto-death spells. I have very little actual experience, so take that for what it's worth, but even if the Runelord isn't as good as 2 Runesmiths, a Runelord on an Anvil is easy to make as tough as nails so it might not do much for you offensively, but I at least imagine it would serve as points denial.

You would lose giving the Forgefire and MR to a unit, but he still benefits from the Magic Resistance, and I guess the idea is that hopefully you could make up for that by being able to offensively partake in the magic phase unlike usual Dwarf armies.

Edited by Gormadon, 27 May 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#11 baldbeachbum

baldbeachbum

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

The Anvil and Guards looks cool.  Very nice model.  Otherwise:   The rune Lord is too expensive.  The spells are not worth it.  Maybe get one off per game only to be easily dispelled next magic phase.

Unfortunately I painted my Anvil of Doom just before army book release.  Model had been primed for about 8 years..

edit: Actually happy I painted it before army book release.  Looks very nice painted. Also happy to have waited 8 years while my painting detail improved.  Model looks great!

Edited by baldbeachbum, 27 May 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#12 Grumpy Runelord

Grumpy Runelord

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

you still have to pay full for a runeloerd, right? Not sure I'd even take it for 10 :)

Really? One bonus DD for 10 points?
What if a rune gave you that. Master Rune of We're Sorry We Made the Anvil Useless or something?

#13 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

I have had one for years, only used it a handful of times. I have one in my list for a "Lett Granitebeard bring what he has and we will try to fight it" game (11k points of dwarfs and 4k Bret vs 15k of what ever my FLGS can muster), and feel off as it is wasting points.

#14 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

Really? One bonus DD for 10 points?
What if a rune gave you that. Master Rune of We're Sorry We Made the Anvil Useless or something?
The point there was that the runelord wouldn't be worth it. They aren't really worth it withouth an anvil, but suddenly making him an immobile (essentially) bucket of VP.... Meh :)

Edited by TaxiForBiggins, 27 May 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#15 baldbeachbum

baldbeachbum

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I am starting to think the Anvil is the "intended" dwarf monster.  Its 300 points. More than other army monsters, giants, big kill thingies.  Somehow I believe the intent was there but overlooked a few minor details.  

#16 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

I am starting to think the Anvil is the "intended" dwarf monster.  Its 300 points. More than other army monsters, giants, big kill thingies.  Somehow I believe the intent was there but overlooked a few minor details.  

Like M3 and T5 and it can't use that M3 and use its special powers?

If it was lower points it would be OK, Unless we rune out the RL to be a monster it is kind of tough to take it.

#17 The Main Thane

The Main Thane

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

It needs to be able to join a unit, that's it. That's all i want or even abit cheaper ;)

#18 Feargus

Feargus

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Actually, what it should have done is grant the AP and MR(2) abilities as an area of effect - then it would essentially be a buff for the Runelord's basic abilities and form part of a very effective battle line, without being at all OP.

You also need a way to improve its casting ability, or the potency of its spells. Personally I think each spell should have two casting levels and thus two effects.

#19 The Main Thane

The Main Thane

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Yeah that would work to :-o

#20 Feargus

Feargus

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

But that's the issue. If we are talking about what they should have done, we are necessarily saying they got it wrong and it's not what it should be.

The Anvil just feels like it's in the book because people felt it should be, but has no actual role.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anvil, runelord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users