6 replies to this topic

#1 Stubborn and Stunty

Stubborn and Stunty

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Would it be worth it? There's really not any difference in rune casting between the runelord and runesmith but i can see the advantage in extra survivability for your "mage" and the extra spells.

Not sure but it might be the only time ever that it's worth it. Not sure if it's legal to place our runic warmachine there but in friendly games it might be worth it.

#2 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

My buddy has the SoM book and keeps trying to get me to play. Apparently the rune-magic works quite well. I'll ask him how the new anvil will end up working with it.

#3 Stubborn and Stunty

Stubborn and Stunty

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

Well i've played quite a few games as well, although with the old book. The fact thet our anti-magic has been nerfed is bad.

The rune system does work pretty well, a little too well other players often say since it's very easy to get the runes through. The other players in my group think it silly that dwarfs are strong in a Storm of Magic but we don't get caster levels so we had to have another system to be viable. The fact that we miscast on a single 6 is a great enough downside already i think and the runes have a short range of 24". They're effective but far from overpowered if you ask me.

#4 St Hasselhoff

St Hasselhoff

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Interestingly, they had a great system for the anvil to use by just using the SoM system (with a few rune changes) and they chose to ignore it.  To make it even weirder they had an untapped market of profit by selling magic cards to all the dwarf players.

Even stranger, they basically ripped the rune system (or pretty close to it) to be the Psychic system for 40k. 

#5 Stubborn and Stunty

Stubborn and Stunty

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thinking about fielding an anvil on a Arcane Fulcrum in the Storm Of Magic Triumph and Treachery game we're gonna do soon. It's gonna be so chaotic, maybe i should do a battle report.

#6 stuntyogre

stuntyogre

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

I've played one game of SoM with Dwarfs and yes the runes they give you are fairly decent. I think its Valaya's that regrows D3+1 models from each affected unit, pretty nice, another gives fight in additional ranks, not sure which. I would advise against putting an Anvil in the fulcrums, although we don't have to roll on the normal miscast table we do have to roll on the fulcrum's table quite a lot. Many of those results can harm or imperil your Runelord quite easily and its just too many points to give away. I'd just field 2-3 Runesmiths with a spellbreaker or two each and have at it

#7 Grim Stoki

Grim Stoki

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

I agree with ogre. The miscast table for fulcrums is too nasty to invest and anvil.

However Runesmiths are
1) Cheap
2) Resilient
3) useful even of they're not casting spells

So I'd you're playing som I'd take a bunch!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: som, storm of magic, anvil of doom, runelord, runesmith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users