Photo

3-Game Tournament "the Thunderers Grimm"!

vs. dwarfs high elves tzeentch daemons

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Great bet reps, love to see the thunderers really shine!

And with the HE turn6, I was a little hung up on when you said the BoTWD saved him from Miscast dmg... As far as I understand it, the str10 hits caused by miscasts aren't treated as magical? I know the FAQ on pg3 states it isn't treated as a spell, but I'm having a hard time finding anything more definite on the dmg type?

From what I understand, while the hits caused are not treated as being from a spell, they are still magical hits, which cause magical wounds, which are preventable by the BotWD.

@Stymie: I think you're right. Provided I preserve their points, I can afford to lose just about anything and everything else, and it's a lot easier to preserve their points than I make it look. Ha!

#22 cptfluffy

cptfluffy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

I understand. Also, with the wording on the miscast table on pg34 of the BRB (But not in the ref section) does make it sound like magic that's being released to deal the dmg as opposed to magic causing an explosion, and the concussive force causing the dmg. Still, win or loose it makes for a very edge of your seat T6 :-)

#23 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Rules Dork time!

Q: What are ‘magical attacks’? (p68)
A: All attacks made by spells and magic items are considered
to be magical attacks, as are all attacks that are specifically
noted as being magical attacks. Shots fired from magical items
are also considered to be magical attacks, unless their
description specifically states otherwise. Hits inflicted by rolls
on the Miscast table are treated as magical attacks.

Ergo, they can take BoTWD saves against miscasts (I don't know the exact text of the rule but I assume it states save vs magical attacks, not save vs magic spells). Note there's other FAQ entries that state miscast damage is NOT considered a spell, so you cannot use Magic Resistance against it, or other rules/items that are specific to saving against spells.

Edited by Stymie Jackson, 24 May 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#24 ATP485

ATP485

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

With hindsight, would you change any units in your list? Did you feel like you were missing something, like a few Gyros for example?

#25 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:21 AM

I did feel like a Gyrocopter or two would be nice. I really liked having the units I had, though. The Shieldbeards were very helpful, and the Quarrellers gave me a unit with some punch. All the war machines were necessary. I don't know that I would change much, but I do think my first additions moving up to 3000 points would be two Gyrocopters.

#26 Morlenn

Morlenn

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Congrats on that third game Sword. You won even with some really bad dice luck. That has got to be reassuring.

#27 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Thanks, Morlenn! Yeah, it is reassuring, indeed.

#28 Folkungen

Folkungen

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the batreps! Much appreciated the diagrams to go along with the usual turn-by-turn notions.

#29 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Glad they helped!

#30 landonelf

landonelf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

In Game 3, did you reroll a cannon's bounce with your Master Engineer? I'm pretty sure only Grim can reroll bounces. 

Anyway, again, great games and cool list. Makes me wanna go buy some Thunderers!

#31 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

No. I rerolled one of the dice for an Organ Gun but not for a Cannon. You're right about Grimm being the only one that can reroll the bounce for a Cannon. I'm glad you found the army fun and inspired you about Thunderers! Every Dwarf player should have at least a few Thunderers, I think.

Edited by Swordthain, 26 May 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#32 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Great stuff, and I found your army List intriguing. I usually dislike Missile Units as I love my Warrior Models but maybe I should try it out one Time.

Only Problem is that I will never get 40 individual thunderers together and for my Core Units I only use individual Models.

How do you think would a smaller Unit fare (20-30) and using the freed points for Gyros?

#33 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

I really think that would work fine. It won't be maximizing Grimm's potential quite as much, but I will tell you that unit of 40 Thunderers is horribly unweildy! So a smaller unit would have its advantages, to be sure. Gyrocopters would be helpful with this sort of list, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vs. dwarfs, high elves, tzeentch daemons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users