Photo

3-Game Tournament "the Thunderers Grimm"!

vs. dwarfs high elves tzeentch daemons

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

First of all, I want to convey my gratitude to those who helped me develop my list for this tournament! It really performed well, as you'll see, and I think I would have done much better with it had I been able to play a few practice games prior to the tourney. Most of all, it allowed me to accomplish my goal of beating the Daemons of Chaos (unfortunately I only fought one of the Daemon armies)!

"The Thunderers Grimm"

Grimm Burloksson
Thane: BSB, MRoGrungni, RoSlowness x2
Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking x2, RotFurnace
Runesmith: Shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking x2
Master Engineer: Great Weapon, RoStone
Thunderers: x40, Shields, Full Command
Longbeards: x32, Shields, Full Command, RoStoicism
Quarrellers: x20, Shields, Great Weapons, Full Command
Cannon: RoForging, RoBurning
Cannon: RoForging
Organ Gun: RoAccuracy, RoForging
Organ Gun, RoAccuracy
Rangers: x5, Shields

TOTAL: 2726/2727

GAME ONE

My first game was against another Dwarf opponent. I played this same guy a couple of months ago when we took VERY similar conventional Dwarf lists and faced off in a mirror match. This time, our Dwarf armies were almost as different as they get, apart from the fact that we both took Grimm Burloksson... It was Battleline with no mysterious terrain.

The Spencer Clan

Thane BSB: Shield, MRoGrungni
Grimm Burloksson
Thunderers: x15, FC, Shields
Longbeards: x30, FC, Great Weapons, and Strollaz' Rune +unknown
Hammerers: x40, FC, Strollaz' Rune +unknown
Ironbreakers: x30, FC, Strollaz' Rune +unknown
Irondrakes: x21, FC, Trollhammer Torpedoe
Gyrobomber

He had the usual banner Runes to satisfy the Rule of Pride, I just don't remember which was on which unit's banner. It ended up really not mattering. I did not realize my opponent was running a Strollaz' list. I should have known, since he didn't have any war machines, but I'm dumb sometimes. Anyway, I should have deployed my Rangers right out in front of his army, but since I wasn't thinking, I deployed them to hopefully redirect stuff away from my Organ Guns. When my opponent started doing his Vanguard moves, my heart sank, because I realized too late what I should have done with my Rangers! Oh, well. I'll know better next time... We rolled for Ancestral Grudge, and both of our entire armies hated one another! Even though I finished deploying first, my opponent won the roll-off for first turn.

2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx01

The Spencer Clan Turn One: My opponent moved his entire army up as aggressively as possible. I would have done the same. His Gyrobomber moved on my left flank to deal with my Cannon in the event it failed to one-shot it off the table. With no magic, no shooting, and no combat, it was a fast first turn.
2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx02

The Thunderers Grimm Turn One: My Dwarfs didn't flinch, but instead went to work systematically killing the enemy. The Thunderers got the reroll-misses bonus from Grimm and took out half of my opponent's Longbeards, despite the MRoGrungni banner giving them a 5+ ward save. My Quarrellers and Organ Guns succeeded in taking out half of the horde of Hammerers, while my Rangers plunked off a single Ironbreaker. My Cannon destroyed the Gyrobomber, and my turn was over. My Dwarfs braced for the furious charge of their brethren.
2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx03

TSC2: The Ironbreakers and Hammerers both charged my Shieldbeards, and the Longbeards charged my Quarrellers. I was glad I had positioned my Shieldbeards slightly forward of the Quarrellers and both of my Organ Guns, since it would mean the Hammerers would lose the majority of their attacks due to limited engaged frontage, leaving the Longbeards to fight it out with the Quarrellers on their own, and the Organ Guns would be able to shoot still. The Quarrellers killed a couple of Longbeards with their Stand-and-Shoot charge reaction. The Irondrakes moved up 3", and then they shot up my Rangers with the supporting fire from my opponent's Thunderers. They killed four of my five Rangers, but my Lone Ranger passed his panic check! We started with the Longbeards' combat against my Quarrellers. My Runesmith in that unit killed two Longbeards, and the Quarrellers killed a few more. Since three attacks (his champion and the Longbeard's supporting attack behind him) had to be allocated against my Runsemith, I was a bit nervous with the high-strength attacks, but I needn't have been. He passed his saves. The Quarrellers actually won combat, I think, but no one went running from the fight. The Shieldbeards did beautifully! Their 5+ parry save this turn saw only about half as many Shieldbeards fall as would otherwise have died! The entire point of having them in my list was to provide points-denial in the late part of the game. Even though this was the top of the second round, I was confident that they would be able to stick around long enough for me to bring my other units to help out the beleaguered Shieldbeards. I completely forgot that they had the RoStoicism, but being Steadfast this round meant essentially the same thing anyway.
2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx04

TTG2: With The Thunderers Grimm out of range of anything at which to shoot, I decided to charge them into the flank of the Longbeards. They didn't need it, but it would be something for the unit to do and be a chance to get a lot of free movement to put them in position to shoot on future turns. With the Organ Guns safe for the present, I targeted the Irondrakes. I knew their shooting would be inferior to the Organ Guns', and maybe they'd panic and I could save my Lone Ranger! The Cannon joined in, dealing three unsaved wounds, followed by decent volleys from the Organ Guns and the Lone Ranger's solitary--ultimately ineffective--Dwarf Crossbow bolt, killing another five after several 6s to save rolled by my opponent. Still, the Irondrakes were a lot less scary than they were, and I thought if my opponent kept moving up three inches at a time and trying to shoot at my stuff on that side of the board, I'd eventually win that shoot-out before they could reach my lines to engage in close combat. In combat, my Quarrellers and Thunderers finished off the Longbeards with ease, The Thunderers Grimm remaining put in order to shoot at stuff in the next round and my Quarrellers reforming to charge into the Hammerers' flank in the next round. The Shieldbeards lost combat again, and my Runesmith took a wound, but I remembered about their RoStoicism and passed the break test!
2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx05

TSC3: The Irondrakes moved up 3" again. Both the Irondrakes and the Thunderers attempted to pick off my remaining Ranger, but all their shots failed to hit, except for one which failed to wound! Then, the Hammerers and Ironbreakers killed another 5 Shieldbeards, with the Hammerers taking two unsaved wounds in return. My Shieldbeards were starting to really show the abuse the unit was taking, but they passed their Stubborn 9 break test.
2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx06

TTG3: The Quarrellers charged the Hammerers in their flank. I hoped that would be enough to turn the tide of battle in that fight. Meanwhile, my Dwarfs set about shooting the rest of my opponent's army. My Cannon on the left killed an Irondrake and two Thunderers. The Thunderers Grimm, with Grimm giving them rerolls to hit, killed another 8 Thunderers. My Organ Guns then targeted the Irondrakes, killing 7 more Irondrakes (I have the wrong number of skulls on the battlemap below, just FYI). Combat did not go my way! The Shieldbeards and Quarrellers together killed a mere 4 Hammerers, while the Hammerers and Ironbreakers succeeded in killing 3 Quarrellers and 5 more Shieldbeards. The Shieldbeards held their ground, but the Quarrellers turned tail and ran!
2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx07

TSC4: About halfway through this turn, time was called, so we didn't get to go on to my 4th round... My opponent shot everything at my left-most Organ Gun, trying to pick up some points, while in combat, he picked off my Runesmith finally. It turned out to be a solid win for me anyway.
2727 Dwarf Succession War mapEx08

I'm fairly certain in the next round, my Quarrellers would have rallied, my Organ Guns would have finished off at least the Irondrakes and Grimm, if not also the Thunderers, and my Thunderers would have charged into the flank of the Hammerers where Grimm and my BSB could easily swing that combat in my favor. Oh, well.

GAME TWO

My second game was against a High Elf player using a heavy shooting army which could very well be considered a "gunline". I pieced his list together as best as I can remember, but I don't remember everything exactly, especially since Spearmen and Lothern Sea Guard look so much alike. I have included two units of the latter and one of the former based on the function they played in the game. I am also almost completely ignorant of my opponent's characters. I know he had a Lv. 4 Archmage, a Lv. 1 or 2 Mage and a Noble BSB, but what exactly they were equipped with I don't know. I know the Archmage had the Book of Hoeth, and I'm assuming the Mage had a Dispel Scroll. I also know Alith Anar was my opponent's general, because for two rounds in a row my Thunderers had an additional -1 modifier to their to-hit rolls when shooting at his White Lions... Anyway, the scenario was Battle for the Pass with no other restrictions or modifications.

The High Elves

Archmage
Mage
Noble BSB
White Lions
Archers x2
Lothern Sea Guard x2
Spearmen
Great Eagle x2
Bolt Thrower x4
Sisters of Avelorn x2
Shadow Warriors x2

We deployed. I set up right on the board edge. I was hopeful that with any luck, the High Elves would be unable to outshoot my Dwarfs, while my Dwarfs would be able to do enough damage to force his units to attempt to close with mine so I could be sure to get plenty points out of the Elf army. My opponent started with nearly all of his units on the forward line of his deployment zone. My opponent won the roll-off to deploy the first unit of Scouts, deploying them on my far right flank. I placed my Rangers across from them to make sure they wouldn't get around my Shieldbeards and into my flank. He then deployed his other unit immediately across on my other flank, threatening my other Cannon. I won the roll-off for first turn.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx01

Dwarfs Turn One: The Thunderers, aided by Grimm's rerolls, massacred the Elven scouts on my left flank, while my Quarrellers and Rangers took out the ones on my right flank. My Cannons each targeted a Bolt Thrower to destroy, and while one rolled a 1 to wound, the other succeeded in obliterating one of my opponent's four machines. With nothing else in range, my turn was done.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx02

High Elves Turn One: The High Elves advanced. The Great Eagles came out fast, which surprised me. I would have anticipated my opponent trying to screen them from my Cannons until they were close enough to do some good. The rest of the High Elves began to form a line of advance. My shooting had done enough damage to force the High Elves my direction. The magic phase saw my Thunderers hit with Doom and Darkness. I let it go, because I could just dispel it during my turn. I was then able to stop the rest of the High Elf magic. Shooting saw a couple wounds dealt, but overall, it was looking grim (pun intended) for the High Elves.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx03

D2: The Dwarf shooting was able to take out one of the Great Eagles, while putting 2 wounds on the other. My rightmost Cannon again destroyed a Bolt Thrower, and the Dwarf turn proved short and sweet!
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx04

HE2: Everything moved forward. Some units moved farther than others as you can see below. Magic was weak, resolving with no successful spells cast, although I did have to expend a Spellbreaker to stop Walk Between Worlds, which I was unable to destroy. The shooting phase was mild with the Bolt Throwers killing a couple Thunderers, nothing more.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx05

D3: The Thunderers took out the last wound on the Great Eagle. I felt it a waste, but they had nothing else really at which to shoot. I tried to increase their range, but I only rolled 4 inches, meaning they were still out of range of anything else. My Cannon was then free to target a Bolt Thrower, but it only succeeded in putting a single wound on it. It took my other Cannon's shot to finish it off. After that, the Rangers and Quarrellers shot the Spearmen, killing a couple, while the Organ Guns shot the Lothern Sea Guard across from them, killing all but one! I was actually feeling somewhat badly for my opponent at this point, since I felt like all the luck was going my way this game.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx06

HE3: Once again everything moved up. The High Elves rolled double 1s for the Winds of Magic, and I channeled a dispel die, so my opponent was not able to cast any spells. My opponent had too little shooting to do even a single wound. I knew my opponent, though. He wouldn't rob me of a satisfying victory no matter how frustrating it might be for himself. No, he would play on to the end. There was really no point in me even offering to call the game. That's just the kind of guy he is. Respect. ;-)
Besides that, I knew his White Lions had the Banner of the World Dragon, and that would be a hard nut to crack.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx07

D4: My Shieldbeards attempted to charge the Spearelves, but failed, despite rolling a 6 on one of the charge dice. I should have thought my shooting phase out better than I did, but I was eager to move the game on towards its conclusion. I started with my rightmost Cannon and took out the lone remaining Lothern Sea Guard hiding in the woods. I then aimed my leftmost Cannon at the remaining Bolt Thrower, successfully destroying it. Everything else was just out of range!
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx08

HE4: The Spearelves moved straight by my Shieldbeards! They stopped right in front of my Rangers, and I felt the fool having let them by like that. Now my flank would be exposed and I would have to hope that I could counter before serious damage could be done. The rest of the High Elves continued their trudge towards the Dwarf lines. A second turn in a row, the High Elves rolled double 1s for the magic phase! The High Elves couldn't manage to muster enough power to cast a spell for me to dispel! Alith Anar then put two wounds on my leftmost Cannon, and with that, the High Elf turn was done.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx09

D5: The Dwarf Shieldbeards decided they should take the fight to the High Elves and leave the Spearelves to the Quarrellers. I figured I could have the Rangers redirect them, but I completely forgot that if they killed them off, the Spearelves would be able to simply reform and be in position to charge the flank of my army on the last turn. I then rolled for Grimm's bonus, only to roll a 1! I was a little disappointed, but I figured that was my one fail over the course of a game, so I should be able to at least get the White Lions down to a manageable level before impact. The Thunderers still killed several White Lions, despite their lack of Grimm-enabled rerolls and the -1 to hit penalty imposed by Alith Anar. My Organ Guns targeted other units, and when all was told, the High Elf lines were really starting to wear thin.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx10

HE5: The High Elves continued to advance. The Spearelves charged my Rangers. For a third round in a row, the High Elves rolled double 1s for the Winds of Magic! I couldn't believe it! Still, my opponent got Walk Between Worlds off, and I had to expend my second RoSpellbreaking. This time, it ate the spell, eliminating it for good. The Archers on the far left finally got a wound through on my Cannon on that side, destroying it.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx11

D6: My last turn. The White Lions were now close enough for a last-turn charge. The Dwarfs opened fire and killed nearly 30 High Elves across the board. Despite rolling a second 1 for Grimm's bonus, the White Lions were now diminished enough in number for me to rest a little easier.
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx12

HE6: The Spearelves charged my Cannon, while the White Lions charged my Thunderers. My Stand-and-Shoot killed some more White Lions, enough that the unit simply did not have enough attacks to inflict enough casualties to prevent my Thunderers from being Steadfast on a 10, rerollable--assuming they even made the charge. I had won the game.

Or so I thought. In the magic phase, my opponent cast Doom and Darkness with his Lv. 2 with Irresistible Force! The miscast sucked his Mage into the void, but it also inflicted 13 unsaved wounds on my Thunderers, while dealing no damage to the White Lions with the Banner of the World Dragon! I now would surely not be steadfast... and at -3 Leadership... Not good! In combat, the Cannon held on Stubborn 9 against the Spearelves, but the Thunderers lost combat by 3, meaning they needed to roll a 3 or less for their break test. They failed and went running off the board!
2727 High Elf Grudge mapEx13

When the dust cleared, I had lost the game by just a hair! I then realized--too late--that I had completely forgotten about my 2 Runes of Slowness on my BSB! I bet my opponent would have failed the charge! FRUSTRATION!

GAME THREE

My third game was against a Tzeentch themed Daemons of Chaos army. I had faced a very similar incarnation of this army recently with a more conventional Dwarf list. That battle did not go well, and my fear was that I wouldn't be able to shoot my opponent's army to shreds before my opponent magicked mine to shreds.

The Daemons

Tzeentch (Greater Daemon)
Blue Scribes
Herald on Disc
Herald on Disc
Pink Horrors
Pink Horrors
Pink Horrors
Pink Horrors
Chaos Furies
Chaos Furies
Screamers
Screamers
Screamers
Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
Soul Grinder

We played a Dawn Attack scenario and deployed as you can see below. I deployed first, and I rolled nothing higher than a 3 and no 2s for my units! I was able to have the first turn, and we got started.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx01

Dwarfs Turn One: I didn't want to move much of anything, and little I had was in range of my opponent's units, I simply used my Cannons to try to take down the Soul Grinder, which was screening his Lord of Change. The first shot was saved by my opponent's Ward, but the second shot deal 4 wounds. The Rangers fired into the monster, but their shots did nothing to the great beast. I was happy enough with the four wounds I had put on it, though.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx02

Tzeentch Daemons Turn One: The unit of Screamers directly across from my Rangers charged the 5-Dwarf unit. I opted to flee with them, which resulted in them being able to get away while causing the Screamers to fail their charge. They moved up just in front of the unit of Pink Horrors that had been in front of them who would now be blocked by the Screamers and unable to move. (The Rangers never rallied, running off the board soon thereafter.) Everything else moved forward. I was able to stop all my opponent's magic, though it did take a RoSpellbreaking to stop Infernal Gateway cast on my Shieldbeards by the unit of Pink Horrors straight across from them. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to eat the spell, though.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx03

D2: Dwarf shooting was mostly abysmal this round, even with Grimm to help out. My entire army killed 1 Screamer and 5 Furies... and my Cannons put down the Soulgrinder. Those Screamers are just nasty. You really need something fast and dangerous to counter them. Shooting just won't cut it. Plus, they can get on your flank or behind your lines and just fly over your units and land where they started, getting to deal damage to your units with impunity. It's super frustrating. Anyway...
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx04

TD2: The Screamers on my right flank charged my rightmost Cannon, the Furies on my right charged the other Cannon, and the Furies on the left charged my rightmost Organ Gun. I had deployed on the edge of the board, and my units were already in close combat on Turn 2! That's a little frustrating, too... All three charges were completed successfully, to my aggravation. So much for my war machines. The rest of the Daemons moved forward again. In the magic phase, the Pink Horrors cast Infernal Gateway against my Shieldbeards with Irresistible Force, killing 6 despite rolling 12 hits. I brushed it off, tossed my useless dispel dice into my tin, and tried to take that one on the chin. Miscasts really don't do anything actually bad to Pink Horrors, so it wasn't even like my opponent lost anything from it... In combat, the Screamers made mincemeat of my Cannon, while the Furies fared less well. The unit engaged with my other Cannon failed to do any damage, and my Dwarfs passed their break test on Stubborn 9. The Organ Gun crew slaughtered the Furies that had charged them, so they'd be freed up for at least one more round of shooting! I was surprised my opponent chose not to overrun with his Furies, but I think my opponent was hoping to use them to either take out another war machine or charge the flank of one of my units.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx05

D3: Not knowing what my Organ Guns would do, I rolled for Grimm and ended up just adding a few inches to the range of my Thunderers. My first Organ Gun opened up on the chariot threatening to kill one of my war machines. I rolled a 10 and a 2, rerolled the 2 thanks to my Master Engineer, rolled an 8, and the chariot disappeared in a cloud of smoke. The other Organ Gun shot at the Screamers across from them, hitting 12 times and inflicting 3 unsaved wounds... yeah. 3. My Thunderers shot at the Pink Horrors in hopes that they would do enough damage to eliminate future castings of Infernal Gateway. The Thunderers inflicted a disappointing number of hits and even fewer wounds... I guess, to be fair, several of them had to shoot through the Shieldbeards, counting as hard cover for the Pink Horrors. In combat, my Quarrellers demolished the Furies with ease, only to roll double 1s for their overrun! Double 1s! My Quarrellers were less than an inch away from connecting with the Screamers... I wanted to throw dice, but all I could do was to shake my head.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx06

TD3: One unit of Screamers charged my right Organ Gun, while a second unit of Screamers charged my remaining Cannon, and the third unit flew over my Quarrellers, dropping enough daemon guano on them to kill one. Everything else moved up a little more, but only slightly--just enough to get into range for spells. Smart. The Pink Horrors again cast Infernal Gateway on my Shieldbeards with Irresistible Force, again rolled 12 hits, and then rolled a 2 for Strength, ultimately spelling the doom of 2 Shieldbeards. My opponent went on to cast another spell with IF, which resulted in the detonation of a Herald. I don't remember the spell, but I do remember once again putting my unused dispel dice back into my tin... The Cannon was slaughtered, but the Screamers in the other unit totally whiffed their attacks, leaving my Organ Gun to pass its break test on Stubborn 9.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx07

D4: My Quarrellers charged a poorly placed Herald. My opponent assumed my Quarrellers wouldn't be able to see him, but he didn't measure the angle, something I often forget to do. They could easily see him, though they needed a realy long charge, which they fortunately made. The Master Engineer charged the Screamers in front of him. I had my Shieldbeards actually move back. Looking back on it, I think that was a mistake, but I was afraid of them getting caught in the flank by something. I needn't have been, since they had a RoStoicism--I just kept forgetting about that! I obviously need more experience using my army. ;-) Anyway, I rolled for Grimm... a 1. With nothing in line of sight and range, the Thunderers just sat there doing nothing! The unengaged Organ Gun shot at the Screamers, incurring a -2 penalty for shooting through my other Organ Gun. It produced a single unsaved wound on the unit. For a gunline, my army was really disappointing me with its capacity to do what it was supposed to be good at doing... The Quarrellers then trounced the Harald, while the Master Engineer died horribly to Screamers. The Organ Gun had been saved, but not by much and not for long.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx08

TD4: The Screamers, the Flamer thing, and the Burning Chariot all charged my Quarrellers. I didn't have a hope... Meanhile, the rest of the Daemon army shuffled about. For a fourth turn in a row, the Pink Horrors successfully cast Infernal Gateway on my Shieldbeards. This time, though, I dispelled it with a RoSpellbreaking, only to fail to eat it once more... The Screamers ate my Organ Gun, on the other hand, overrunning into my other Organ Gun. I didn't realize it at the time, because I was really feeling frustrated with the game. The Screamers hadn't charged that turn, so they shouldn't have been able to overrun. But it didn't really matter, and my opponent is an honest guy--he wouldn't do something like that on purpose. (I REALLY can't stress enough how lucky I am to have such a great group of guys to game with!!! I wish everyone could have such a great group to do WHFB with!) Anyway, my Quarrellers killed the flamer thing. I really can't remember exactly what it was, but it was basically the top portion of a Burning Chariot on a 40mm or 50mm base... They also did some wounds to both the chariot and the Screamers. But they ultimately lost combat and failed their modified Ld 8 test, run down by the Screamers. (The Screamers I have shown on the map as reforming, but that's a mistake.)
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx09

D5: The Thunderers charged the Screamers engaged with my last war machine in the flank. The Shieldbeards moved up aggressively. The Thunderers proceeded to do little to the Screamers, while I lost my Organ Gun. The Screamers reformed to face my Thunderers.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx10

TD5: Another unit of Screamers crashed into my Thunderers. The rest of the Daemon army moved in for the kill. For a fifth turn in a row, the Pink Horrors successfully cast Infernal Gateway on my Shieldbeards--for a third time with Irresistible Force! The Shieldbeards lost another 4 of their number while the Horrors seemed to just gain back models... Another unit of Pink Horrors cast another spell (can't remember which again), with IF (again), losing a bunch of models from the unit. Once again, I put my useless dispel dice back into my tin! Freaking frustrating. Frustrating. Yeah... Combat saw my Thunderers do a good number of wounds to the Screamers, but they were ultimately stuck with one left to pin them in place.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx11

D6: My last turn. All or nothing! My Shieldbeards charged the damn Pink Horrors! And made the very long charge! Both of my units finished off their respective opponents and reformed, bracing for the final daemonic onslaught.
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx12

TD6: Both the chariot and the Lord of Change (or greater daemon, I don't know) charged into my Thunderers. The unit of Screamers that had run down my Quarrellers flew over my Shieldbeards, failing to do any damage (the unit had a 5+ Regeneration save at that point which came in handy). Magic increased the LoC's Toughness to 8! but was otherwise less than impressive. The Thane took a wound from allocated attacks from the chariot--almost, very nearly died. In return, he cut down the chariot single-handedly, though not before it inflict a good number of kills on my unit. The Veteran died horribly to the Daemon general. The last, bone-chilling, tense, pensive die roll of the game was my Steadfast 10 break test... and the Thunderers passed!
2727 Dwarfs V Tzeentch mapEx13

We counted up points, and I won by a narrow margin! That was a big surprise to both of us, since i felt like the Daemons had controlled the game and had the upper hand most of the game--or the entire game, it felt like to me. I wondered if this was how my opponent in game two must have felt at the end of that battle?

Winning that last game put me up to 3rd place for the tournament, winning $20 which I used to purchase the new Grimm Burloksson model! (I had used a proxy for my games, 'cause I'm dirt poor.)

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the reports!

Edited by Swordthain, 24 May 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#2 Marilith

Marilith

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Very anxious to see what happens next!

#3 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Man the thunderGrimms worked out awesome that round. Hoping to see them turn their attention to some Elfin next.

#4 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

I find this battle report unsettling. Dwarf on dwarf action...ouch!

Perhaps both lords could have teamed up on an orc horde or somesuch, instead of fighting each other.

Edited by evanger, 20 May 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#5 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

That's very nearly what the French said about the Scots during large portions of the Middle Ages, yet I respect them nonetheless. ;-)

Edited by Swordthain, 21 May 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#6 cptfluffy

cptfluffy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

As always, well played Swordthain. I have yet to play a game with Grimm, and the idea of re-rolls on hit sounded great on paper. Nice to see it really making a big impact. I'm eager to read your results on the rest of the tournament (especially the DoC).

#7 Nihmwit

Nihmwit

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

hmmm, the only thing I can think of from the HE book that provides -1 to shooting is the special character Alith Anar; but he works like a mini-bolt thrower, and I'm sure you'd remember that.

#8 Double Misfire

Double Misfire

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

Eager to see what happens next, solid reports.

#9 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Ahh, that must have been it! Thanks!

#10 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Can`t wait for the Rest, allways such a Tease ;P.

#11 Nihmwit

Nihmwit

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

OUCH!  Bad luck there at the end of game two!

#12 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Wow...

That  one was bad. I bow my Head to your Self Control. I am just a Reader and I do already feel robbed, can`t even start to comprehend how you must have felt :(.

#13 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

Thanks, Theatralic! That's very kind of you to say! Yeah, I had to work hard to keep my cool for a moment, but then I thought (knowing my opponent the way I do), this guy kinda' deserves this. After such a rough game, as much as I might feel robbed, I bet he felt fulfilled, satisfied with his ultimate success! So, I was happy for him, and being happy for my opponent took the sting out of the loss for me.

#14 landonelf

landonelf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wow, great battle report. Cant wait for the conclusion. I can't beleive the Helfs beat you though. It appeared to be going so poorly for them.

Your first battle just serves as a reminder of how dumb the Ancestral Grudge rule can be in a mirror match. Imagine if you had gained Army-wide hatred and your opponent had not. Your gunline would have out-fought his combat army. O_o

#15 Morlenn

Morlenn

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

For the future I think it might be useful to downgrade to just one rune of slowness on your BSB and snag a stoicism banner. That is the biggest weakness with a huge block of thunderers like this... is having them run right off the table.

#16 ATP485

ATP485

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

dealing no damage to the White Lions with the Banner of the World Dragon!

I did not know the BoTWD protected against miscasts! Ouch :(

#17 Bimli

Bimli

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

ouch ya that must be a hurting.

#18 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

For the future I think it might be useful to downgrade to just one rune of slowness on your BSB and snag a stoicism banner. That is the biggest weakness with a huge block of thunderers like this... is having them run right off the table.

I may. The double RoSlowness was intended to prevent them seeing combat in the first place, since a failed charge can mean another round of shooting and a second Stand-and-Shoot, which could theoretically destroy a weakened unit trying to charge the Thunderers. In the case with the High Elves, it would have meant (likely) a failed charge that resulted in no combat at all! I would have won handily in that event. The RoStoicism would have (likely) meant the same thing, though, really, since my Thunderers would have been testing on Ld 10 with a reroll... I think that may be the safer way to go in the future, as you say.

Edited by Swordthain, 23 May 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#19 cptfluffy

cptfluffy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Great bet reps, love to see the thunderers really shine!

And with the HE turn6, I was a little hung up on when you said the BoTWD saved him from Miscast dmg... As far as I understand it, the str10 hits caused by miscasts aren't treated as magical? I know the FAQ on pg3 states it isn't treated as a spell, but I'm having a hard time finding anything more definite on the dmg type?

#20 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Wut. You had the HE beat but ended up losing. The DoC had you beat but ended up losing.

Makes my head hurt just thinking about it. Great reports and excellent diagrams. You could have gone 3-0 very easily with some slight luck. It really comes down to preserving the thunderer deathstar it looks like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vs. dwarfs, high elves, tzeentch daemons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users