7 replies to this topic

#1 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hey dawi I originally wanted to play a call of war hammer rage of the dark gods dwarf vs high elf campaign. But with TW MPCs and its flaws, I decide to write my own rules for the tabletop version. I hope you like them.

Dawi rules

Runic regiments: In he war of vengeance, the dwarfs were at the height of their power. And therefore, were able to equip entire regiments with Runes. To represent this, all dwarf core units can have up to 40pts of Rune weapon,armour,and talisman upgrades. These will affect the entire regiment, as they would affect a character. For example a unit with a Rune of speed would give everyone non lord or hero in that unit +1 initiative for example. Core units can also take Runic banners up to 50pts, but unlike rare and special units, Core units may not have Runes that stack such as 2Runes of might, though any Core unit champion may have up to 50 points of Runes that can stack, Though long beards are an exception to this, and the unit may have up to 75pts of Runes.  Rare and special units, can have 125pts of Runes and Runic banners of 75pts. Though all lords and heroes, have their own Runes for the same price. Also, as the dawn are at the height of their power, the "Jealous Rune" rule is gone. With the exception that you cannot combine master Runes, but you can have the same master Rune on more than 1 regiment. Although the rule of 3 and pride are still there. So you could the same Rune on as meany regiments as you want, but the other runes on the unit would have to be different. These rules also apply to lords and heroes. 

No gunpowder :(: This is what it means, so no organ guns,cannons,flame cannons,or gyrobombers. Only bolt throwers,grudge throwers,and gyrocopters are allowed, and also Irondrakes but to make you all happy,,and quarreller regiments may get enigering Runes. Yep you heard me,crossbows with Runes of accuracy. Though ,Irondrake and Quarreller regiments, have engineering Runs instead of weapon Runes, which is the only difference. Of cause though you can use cannon,Organ gun,Or flame cannons to represent non gunderpowder weapons. But no "this cannon and Ogran gun don't use gunderpowder" please.

Elgi Rules

Dragon riders: This rule, is also very simple dragon prince regiments, can either rider on a moon or star dragon. This is done by adding the respective dragons cost to each warrior in the regiment, though they all must be riding the same dragon, and the unit size is 2 min and 6 max. And are special choices, so basically its a dragon prince on a dragon but in regiments.

No sword master,shadow warriors,or sisters of Averlorn: Another simple rule high elves, can't take sword masters as they were not invented yet. Nor can they take shadow warriors as they would much rather right dark elves. Also Caledor II has no mention of a wife in any sources as well as not having an heir (The next king came from the phoenix guard and prince Imladrik was Caledors brother)

Characters (These are not GW rules,I made them myself)

Dawi characters

Gotrek starbreaker

M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  LD

3    7     6    5   5  4  4  4   10

Troop type: Infantry (Special character)

Special Rules: Ancestral grudge,Relentless,Resolute,Hatred (Elves)

High king: The same as Thorgrim

To victory: As long as Gotrek is alive, all dwarf models in the campaign, have hatred for every round of combat and it can also  allow Gotreks unit to re roll all wounds in combat against elves. And also grants Gotreks unit unbreakable.

Magic items

Axe of Grimnir: All rolls to wound with this weapon, always wound on 2+ with no armour save allowed, and must re roll all successful ward saves against it. Furthermore, it also cause D3 wounds for every wound caused (As you can see, this is a more potent version of the axe of griming. This is to show its true power)

Amour of Skaldour: Same as Thorgrims, but with the added bonus that it gives Gotrek a 2+ ward save against flaming attacks, and a normal 4+ ward save as well. (I added the ward saves in, to make up for not having the throne of power. And the one against fire, as there will likely be a lot of dragons around)

The dragon crown of Karaz: Same as Thorgrims

Snorri halfhand

M WS BS S T W I A LD

3   7    5   5  5 3 3 4 10

Special rules: Ancestral grudge,Relentless,Resolute

Eager for vengeance: Snorri must always declare a challenge,(if it is against Caledor II, he must take a leadership test at -1 penalty if he fails the penalty, he must re roll all successful rolls to hit, but can re roll all rolls to wound. If Caledor dies, Snorri calms down and loses this rule, but still gets to re roll rolls to hit and wound against all models in the elven force.

Snorri's axe: This axe, gives Snorri armour piercing and causes D3 wounds against monsters. And all its strikes are done at +1 strength and WS. (This is included in his profile)

Snorri's armour: This armour, gives Snorri a 3+ armour save and a 4+ ward save and a 3+ ward save against flaming attacks.

Heir to the high king: If Snorri is ever slain, the entire dwarf army gains the stubbed special and frenzy special rule. Also place a counter where he fell, and any dwarf unit fighting the unit that killed Snorri or are in 3 inches of the counter are unbreakable an will re roll roles to wound.

Brok Stonefist king of Karak Azgal

M WS BS S T W I A LD 

3   7    6    4 5  4 4 4 10

Special rules: Ancestral Grudge,Resolute,Relentless

Lord of the tunnels: Brok causes feat in elves, gives all dwarf the stubborn rule

King of Karak Azgal: If Brok is killed, all dwarfs gain frenzy and re roll rolls to wound on the unit that killed Brok

Magic items

Armour of Karak Azgal: This gives Brok a 3+ ward save a 3+ armour save and a 2+ ward save against flaming attacks

Hammer of Karak Azgal: No armour saves can be made against this weapon, and all ward saves against it are at a -1 penalty

Edited by Hero of Rome, 18 May 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#2 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

There where some Rules in an old White Dwarf, some similar to yours.

I think that 75 points of Runes which effect the hole Core unit are way too much. I would stick with runes for the Champ.

#3 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

There where some Rules in an old White Dwarf, some similar to yours.

I think that 75 points of Runes which effect the hole Core unit are way too much. I would stick with runes for the Champ.

Maybe though the games will proberbly be around 3 to 5k though I could reduce the units amout of Runes and give the champion some extra points.

#4 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

I would probably drop them entirely, do you really want tosee 40 Dwarf Warriors wit Breath Weapons? Not so much Fun against Elves I think, a good Game should be Fun for both sides ;).

Give all champs a Rune alotment, More Runic Standards and change some MAster Runes to normal Runes. Thats a bit of the White DWarf approach and it worked rather nice.

( Although I love the smell o roasted Elf in the Morning :)).

Let us know how you proceed forward.

#5 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

I would probably drop them entirely, do you really want tosee 40 Dwarf Warriors wit Breath Weapons? Not so much Fun against Elves I think, a good Game should be Fun for both sides ;).

Give all champs a Rune alotment, More Runic Standards and change some MAster Runes to normal Runes. Thats a bit of the White DWarf approach and it worked rather nice.

( Although I love the smell o roasted Elf in the Morning :)).

Let us know how you proceed forward.

Thanks I am in the proces of getting some new rules written, as well as trying to balence out the core units.

Edited by Hero of Rome, 18 May 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#6 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

No gunpowder :(: This is what it means, so no organ guns,cannons,flame cannons,or gyrobombers. Only bolt throwers,grudge throwers,and gyrocopters are allowed. But you can include pistols and hand guns (Page 13 of dwarf book for proof they were around then) and also Irondrakes but to make you all happy, thunder,Irondrake and quarreller regiment may get enigering Runes. Yep you heard me,hand guns with Runes of accuracy. Though thunderer,Irondrake and Quarreller regiments, have engineering Runs instead of weapon Runes, which is the only difference. Of cause though you can use cannon,Organ gun,Or flame cannons to represent non gunderpowder weapons. But no "this cannon and Ogran gun don't use gunderpowder" please.

If you want to stick to historically accruate, you really cannot have any gunpowder. Your proof on p.13 doesn't really cut it-just an artistic rendering of a dwarf, plus the dwarf is fighting a skaven which would not have happened until after the war of vengence. While our current book doesn't give an exact date, our previous one did suggest gunpowder wasn't invested till around 4-5 hundred years before the Empire was founded. The timeline on the brewery confirms that. http://www.bugmansbr...dwarf-timeline/ Also according to the timeline, gyrocopters are only a few hundred years old, as is the flame cannon, which makes it hard to believe that the drakegun is more than a few hundred or at most a thousand or two years old. Definately not around during the war of vengence.

So if you really want to be historically accruate, can't have any gunpowder of any sort. That means in addition to the units you stated, no thunderers or irondrakes. Of course in terms of balance you don't have to do that, just something to keep in mind.

This goes both ways though of course. There are a few elven units that were not around during the war of vengence. The swordsmasters were not founded until after the war, so can't take them. I also think given the fairly heafty restrictions on dwarves, it's reasonable to now allow the elves to take some units that lore wise probably never fought in the war of vengence. I'm thinking the shadow warriors didn't, since they don't follow the orders of the pheonix king and baiscally only fight the dark elves, and it's a little bit of a stretch but maybe the sisters of Averlorn as well since they are mainly just the guardians of Averlorn and follow the everqueen and not the pheonix king. Mainly would just balance out all the restrictions on dwarves.

Also the to victory rule is broken, esscially since it's a campaign. Eternal hatred is fine, rerolling wounds is way too good.

As far as the runes goes, I like the idea, but I'd make it more restrictive. Core units only get one rune up to say 30pts, special and rare two runes up to 50pts total. I wouldn't change it to unit champs mainly because that's of very limited use since it's a 1w model, plus if you went all out on the dwarf restrictions it's certainly fair to give the dwarves a nice bonus.

Edited by Alaric Ironaxe, 18 May 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

No gunpowder :(: This is what it means, so no organ guns,cannons,flame cannons,or gyrobombers. Only bolt throwers,grudge throwers,and gyrocopters are allowed. But you can include pistols and hand guns (Page 13 of dwarf book for proof they were around then) and also Irondrakes but to make you all happy, thunder,Irondrake and quarreller regiment may get enigering Runes. Yep you heard me,hand guns with Runes of accuracy. Though thunderer,Irondrake and Quarreller regiments, have engineering Runs instead of weapon Runes, which is the only difference. Of cause though you can use cannon,Organ gun,Or flame cannons to represent non gunderpowder weapons. But no "this cannon and Ogran gun don't use gunderpowder" please.

If you want to stick to historically accruate, you really cannot have any gunpowder. Your proof on p.13 doesn't really cut it-just an artistic rendering of a dwarf, plus the dwarf is fighting a skaven which would not have happened until after the war of vengence. While our current book doesn't give an exact date, our previous one did suggest gunpowder wasn't invested till around 4-5 hundred years before the Empire was founded. The timeline on the brewery confirms that. http://www.bugmansbr...dwarf-timeline/ Also according to the timeline, gyrocopters are only a few hundred years old, as is the flame cannon, which makes it hard to believe that the drakegun is more than a few hundred or at most a thousand or two years old. Definately not around during the war of vengence.

So if you really want to be historically accruate, can't have any gunpowder of any sort. That means in addition to the units you stated, no thunderers or irondrakes. Of course in terms of balance you don't have to do that, just something to keep in mind.

This goes both ways though of course. There are a few elven units that were not around during the war of vengence. The swordsmasters were not founded until after the war, so can't take them. I also think given the fairly heafty restrictions on dwarves, it's reasonable to now allow the elves to take some units that lore wise probably never fought in the war of vengence. I'm thinking the shadow warriors didn't, since they don't follow the orders of the pheonix king and baiscally only fight the dark elves, and it's a little bit of a stretch but maybe the sisters of Averlorn as well since they are mainly just the guardians of Averlorn and follow the everqueen and not the pheonix king. Mainly would just balance out all the restrictions on dwarves.

Also the to victory rule is broken, esscially since it's a campaign. Eternal hatred is fine, rerolling wounds is way too good.

As far as the runes goes, I like the idea, but I'd make it more restrictive. Core units only get one rune up to say 30pts, special and rare two runes up to 50pts total. I wouldn't change it to unit champs mainly because that's of very limited use s But ince it's a 1w model, plus if you went all out on the dwarf restrictions it's certainly fair to give the dwarves a nice bonus.

Thanks though in the white dwarf which brought out Durthu and Averloth a few weeks to month ago, it said that Durthu was wounded by dwarf drake alchemical fire. So thats just a thing, though I could take out . Gyros are something that we almost need against elves, and the to victory rule I will change so that just Gotreks unit gets to re roll rolls to wound?

#8 Ranulf Doomhammer

Ranulf Doomhammer

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

As far as the runes goes, I like the idea, but I'd make it more restrictive. Core units only get one rune up to say 30pts, special and rare two runes up to 50pts total. I wouldn't change it to unit champs mainly because that's of very limited use since it's a 1w model, plus if you went all out on the dwarf restrictions it's certainly fair to give the dwarves a nice bonus.

I agree with most of this, with the caveat that there is no obvious reason that contemporary unit types could not be simulated with similarly functioning units (by both armies). For example, an Organ Gun might be represented by a Dawi RBT, and a Gyrocopter could be a mad Wyvern-rider - for, it could be argued, the War of Vengeance took place in an age where the Dwarfs were not as conservative as they now are after their losses during the Time of Woe.  Moreover, on the elf side, the Swordmasters could be veterans from the first Chaos incursion, etc... There are lots of possibilities.

But to keep things interesting, you could play them with a twist - you could require WYSIWYG for these units and thus a lot of conversions for someone who wants to use them.

Finally, I also agree that the rune system proposed here is far too strong. I can see some units runed - there is a precedent here, namely Ironbreakers prior to the invention of Gromril Armour - but not this many. I'd limit the runes to the elite units.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users