19 replies to this topic

#1 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

So 4" range and quick to fire (and only one shot per game).

Am I right (or am I missing something) that this means:

- they will mostly be out of range,

- if they are in range, they will quite likely suffer from the long range penalty (so 5+ to hit)

- and when stand and shoot with it, will most likely suffer from both long range and charge penalty (so 6+ to hit)?

I like the concept, but are they even worth it if they would cost 1p a model?

Edited by Yorri Damminson, 18 May 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Murphey

Murphey

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

I see them as useful for two situations. They are Quick to Fire so you can always S&S and have no penalty for moving and shooting.

You can move up from the board edge and throw them on the turn they arrive. This at least allows them to try to do some ambush damage to enemies in the backfield while enjoying their soft cover.

Alternatively, you can put it on small units and try to shove them in an enemy's face as a makeshift misdirector. The obvious difficulty being that they are still slow, and have no shields for taking charges.

#3 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yea, once you have more then 10 they aren't worth it, the redircetors with them or ambush and slight damage is the only real use, unless 9th chages something

#4 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

When the book first came out we crunched some math on the dynamite, and let's say that they are a really fluffy choice of weaponry. Even if you have a unit of twenty, they will only do a few wounds.

:detective: The only scenario I can think of where they would possibly help make their points back, would be when the miners are holding a building. The enemy would have to loose and be placed one inch away from the building, letting you drop the bombs on them with no penalties.

What kills me though is the strength reduction from last edition. Were they still S6 they would be worth it in some scenarios. :wallbash:

#5 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

I liked the idea, but I guess you're better of taking 12 miners than 10 miners with bombs. Too bad.

#6 Kurgaaz

Kurgaaz

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

The bombs don't have a transcendant effect but they are the only way the miner will have any usefulness the turn they come into the field.

I think about the miners as a unit of thunderers with great weapon that can shot only once. For 12pts/fig it's not bad.

I was thinking I could play a miner horde that can unleach a bomb hurricane on arrival.

#7 mojoslayer

mojoslayer

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

If they were one point a model, and not one use only I would take them, in their current rendition they are terrible. 

#8 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Not to burst anyone's optomistic bubbles, but the S4 balistic skill bomb won't come close to matching a greatweapon in mathhammer. I'm telling you, it's the Strength reduction that killed it. :wallbash:

I like Kugaaz's idea of a miner horde suddenly popping on the field. It would be a gimmik army, as your opponent would notice a severe lack of other models (especially specials) on the table. But the suprise might just outmaneuver them. The only problem with the bombs is- you can't afford to give them to a horde worth of models. For that price you could have smaller detachments of miners accompany the horde on the table.

#9 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Why take a horde? Only the first two ranks can fire so having more models means you pay for something you can never actually use. Unless you go crazy wide, but then the guys on the end wont be in range, and then reform, which takes away the charge or you could charge but not have a third rank to benifit from horde so, why take a horde?

#10 stuntyogre

stuntyogre

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

The horde seems way to unworkable as Granitbeard has stated quite well. At 2 pts per model you can buy a whole other unit or a fully runed warmachine for the same as upgrading that horde and I assure you that the warmachine/support unit will make itself worthwhile far far far more often than the blasting charges will.

If only Miners could take cinderblasts... that would be a lot fun

#11 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

The only problem with the bombs is- you can't afford to give them to a horde worth of models. For that price you could have smaller detachments of miners accompany the horde on the table.

The horde seems way to unworkable as Granitbeard has stated quite well. At 2 pts per model you can buy a whole other unit or a fully runed warmachine for the same as upgrading that horde and I assure you that the warmachine/support unit will make itself worthwhile far far far more often than the blasting charges will.

Anyone ever wonder if people read your posts?                             .....           .....            .....   :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Let me know if I'm that annoying. I'm all paranoid that people see me post and say "Oh that guy again," and skip whatever I wrote because it's that horrible. I'm sure it's just my sensitivity, and Stunty was just restating his agreement.

Edited by Wendersnaven, 23 May 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#12 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

I might of been writing as you were, or something wend :P that or miss read you post or something, just think of it as an echo.

#13 Murphey

Murphey

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

Don't worry Wen! I'll ignore your posts from now on since we think alike anyhow.

#14 Grumpy Runelord

Grumpy Runelord

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

I like your posts, Wen!
I really do. Keep posting :-)

#15 Ehstevey

Ehstevey

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

Well if people are really disenchanted with the Blasting Charges, here's a quick fix in terms of rules to make them worth their points and then some (possibly even making them USEFUL!):

Make them a Thrown Weapon (so ignoring range penalties) and Dwarf-Crafted (so ignoring S&S penalties). Possibly up their strength to S5 (these are blasting charges or essentially sticks of dynamite, those things are not something even a heavily armed warrior can walk away from). For a once-off S&S with only half hitting, you should have a chance to do SOMETHING. They still wound war machines on 6s, so it's not exactly OP either.

#16 Gimble Beren

Gimble Beren

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

Thrown Weapons do not ignore the range penalties (unless there's an errata I don't know about).  I was thinking of using them to knock out some warmachines, but the S4 againts T7 hurts.  Maybe get 1 wound.  I don't know, I'm trying it tomorrow though with 12 miners.

#17 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

I was also thinking, if they were to be used as a way to one shot a war machine, before charging next turn, I'd rather go with two units of not more than 11-12. This way, they'd be able to all throw at the enemy, without being out of range, like if they were in horde.

#18 Grumpy Runelord

Grumpy Runelord

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

I used them on two units of 10 miners. They had one sns and killed one we gladeguard.

Worth the two points? NO! I spent 40 points on theese in a 3500 battle. Wasted points on wasted units :-)

Sent fra min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk

#19 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

I used them on two units of 10 miners. They had one sns and killed one we gladeguard.

Worth the two points? NO! I spent 40 points on theese in a 3500 battle. Wasted points on wasted units :-)

The true origins of how our Runelord became known as 'Grumpy.' :flower:   Now the Math-hammer has evidence.

#20 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

yea even on a unit of 10, we are talking two warriors with GW. Which is better to you?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miner, bomb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users