27 replies to this topic

#21 Essmir Ulv

Essmir Ulv

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Oh! I love these minis and with you're beautyful paint jobb on em I'm feeling yeallus

#22 Dakkar Felekdum

Dakkar Felekdum

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

Wonderful Thunderers!
I'll buy you a beer if you take a picture of the whole unit
:P

#23 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi all

So it has been a little while since I last undated this plog. In that time I have finished my thunderer unit and learned something about myself. I generally paint in batches and in an attempt to finish the unit quickly i went with a batch of ten, bringing up the size of the unit to 15 dwarfs. I learned that this is too many for a single batch. I like to see progress being made when I paint and painting the same colour on the same areas on ten models before moving on drained my enthusiasm somewhat. For this reason in the future I will limit my batch sizes to a maximum of 7-8 models which I am more comfortable with. 

Thank you Essmir and Dakkar for your compliments. Beer is an excellent motivator! So without further ado, this is the completed unit.

gallery_14886_1046_520919.jpg

Here we have the thunderers deployed in two ranks. At 14 models this is a good size since I can either use the champion model with a brace of pistols, or...

gallery_14886_1046_52161.jpg

...I can use the thunderer with the telescopic sight on his handgun as the unit champ.

Alternatively, I can deploy the entire fifteen-dwarf unit in three ranks. for display purposes, so they take up less space (and to qualify for that beer)

gallery_14886_1046_736049.jpg

As you can see, I realised that the thunderers with their handguns held up would look a lot better on diagonal bases, so I nicked a few from some other, unpainted plastic minis to re-base them on. This also helps them rank up. In addition I put two other thunderers on diagonal bases to help them fit in the second rank and to pose them as if they are covering the flanks of the unit. The musician and standard bearer had a diamond pattern on their jackets instead of stripes, so I painted those, ending up with a kind of jester pattern which is quite striking. I also freehanded stripes on the dwarfs wearing chainmail coats and on the standard bearer's sleeves to help them look like part of the unit. 

I'm really happy with my metal thunderers. About halfway through painting It occurred to me that they had the same blue and white stripes as my dragon slayer, so maybe he was originally a thunderer before he shaved his head.

I have another (non-warhammer related) project I'm working on, so it will be a few days before I make a start on the next unit while I try to get that finished. In the meantime I hope everyone enjoys my work so far.

#24 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Those are Great Lancer. I agree about 10 being too much in a single Batch, I did the same recently and right now I am Basecoting 21 hammerers....Draining doesn`t even Begin to touch it.

Keep up the Good Work!

#25 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Those are Great Lancer. I agree about 10 being too much in a single Batch, I did the same recently and right now I am Basecoting 21 hammerers....Draining doesn`t even Begin to touch it.

Keep up the Good Work!

I actually prepared my entire army over a long weekend, cleaning mould lines, priming and guide coating. That was pretty monotonous but it means I can just grab any mini I feel like and start painting straight away, which is quite nice. I will have to do hammerers at some point too (the old ones), which I'm not really looking forward to since there's like three different models in the entire unit, but I will probably do my lord and standard bearer at the same time to keep things more interesting. Not sure about the colour scheme yet - let us know when yours are done, I'll be interested to see how they turn out. 

#26 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

Very nice!  No powder residue? :devil:

#27 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

I really envy your ability to paint in batches, I can never stick to it, especially large groups. I have to limit myself to 1-2 models at a time. Great to see your force coming together, I always enjoy a good snow base! :)

#28 Fat & Bearded

Fat & Bearded

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I really like your gyrocopters! I like the destroyed cannon! I have some extra bits if you don't mind I might "borrow" your idea! You just used a grinder wheel?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plog, speed painting, miners, ironbreakers, dragon slayer, dip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users