27 replies to this topic

#1 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hi everybody

This is the first of hopefully many posts here at Bugman's. I have long been a collector of those tricksy pointy eared elgi, but through various circumstances came into possession of a sizable dwarf throng. My usual painting style involves lots of careful layering, as I haven't had great luck with inks and stuff in the past, but given the number of short bearded warriors in front of me I decided to try and speed things up using lots of washes and drybrushing. This has the added bonus of taking advantage of the high amount of texture on these models. Having produced a couple of units in fairly short order I decided to share them here for the purposes of getting feedback, and hopefully to keep me motivated to get the project finished. Also helping to keep my interest and make things more fun, I will be painting each unit in it's own colours so that each regiment will represent dwarves of a single clan. In order to keep the army looking unified I will do my best to keep to a similar overall tone to hold everything together.

I make no claims to being a great painter. Tips are welcome. If any newcomers are reading this who may be daunted by the time investment needed to get all their models painted hopefully what follows will show that you can get a decent paint job down without spending many painstaking hours on each miniature.

The first model to be produced is one of my all time favourite Dwarf minis, and seemed an appropriate test model to try out my planned painting process and to get me excited about the army. A single Dragonslayer.

gallery_14886_1046_702583.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_674589.jpg

I am quite proud of the green jewels, and I also liked the stripes on his pants. After doing this model I changed my techniques and materials a little to save time. I may go into these in another post if people are interested in the specifics of how I paint. 

Having seen some good results using dips on other people's photos I decided to give the army painter's strong shade a try. Minis painted this way tend to lack some contrast though, so I employed blacklining to maintain the dramatic contrast of the slayer on my Ironbreakers command group

gallery_14886_1046_941959.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_755538.jpg

I liked these guys so I did the rest of the unit the same way

gallery_14886_1046_134708.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1952868.jpg

They have a fairly standard silver and gold paint job on the armour, which I tried to vary a bit by applying the gold in different places on each figure. Their main non-metallic colour is black, representing that their duty doesn't lie with a particular clan or lord, but to the safekeeping of the dark passages of the underway. 

I liked the way these guys turned out and used to same painting process on my second unit of 20 miners.

gallery_14886_1046_1213919.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_712200.jpg

I painted their trim in a variety of browns representing the protective leather smocks worn for safety down in the mines- even the dawi can't escape the tyranny of the OHS officer!. I was especially pleased with how the candles and their flames turned out, as this was the part of the mini that had me most worried and is a defining feature for the unit.

As I had too many command models I used 3 of the minis holding lanterns, but marked out the actual champion with a gold helmet and ornamentation on his pick. Two extra standard bearer minis are also in there with the top of the standard clipped off and a pickaxe head from said standard pinned in place. There is only one musician, but I did convert a second one into a champion with steam drill (or in this case jackhammer) by clipping off the top of the trumpet and replacing it with a lamp from the miners' banner representing a small chimney, and pinning an anvil from the battle for skull pass warriors' banner to the geared section at the front.

gallery_14886_1046_94002.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with my results so far. I would estimate that I spent about 8-10 hours on each unit (30 mins per mini) by painting in large batches, not including drying time between coats of washes and varnishes. That said, I'd definitely like to improve my eye painting technique, as well as working on getting a smoother texture on some of the metallic surfaces. Looking through the photos I can see I may have to touch up some bases too. 

That's it for today. I hope some people enjoy my plog. If there are any questions or things you'd like me to talk about in more detail feel free to comment. Hopefully I should have something new in the next week or so.

Edited by LancerD, 16 May 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Essmir Ulv

Essmir Ulv

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

I like the style of you're army :thumbup: and the steam drill is brilliant :thumbsup:

#3 Centurion

Centurion

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

I like it how you have used dark red and dark brown on the dwarves' clothes. The metallic colours are dark enough (in my opinion) to make Ironbreakers look realistic and good. Good job!  

#4 Folkungen

Folkungen

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Looks great! Keep 'em coming our way ;)
With chance of sounding like a traitor is there any possibility to see your elves as well? Linked or whatnot?

#5 Cradik Brightkiln

Cradik Brightkiln

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

hehe more like an anvil shooter

#6 BigSugaryDwarf

BigSugaryDwarf

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Very neat painting. If this is your 'fast' painting, what does your slow painting look like?

#7 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

Very nice!  Love the tattoos and stripped pants on the slayer!  Really like the look of the Ironbreakers!  The steam-hammer is ace as well!

#8 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

I think this is a nice tabletop standard. Nice work. ;)

#9 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

... is there any possibility to see your elves as well? Linked or whatnot?

Sometimes i fear for your eternal Dwarf Soul ;P

Great Stuff, its amazing how great an army can look with fast techniques if you know what you are doing!

More Please

#10 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

It looks good. The dipping seems subtle, but really makes things pop! The 'eyeball' on the IB musician's boar-horn is a great example.

#11 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies and kind words of encouragement. I kind of love the idea of an anvil-shooter, I may have to come up with some Wile E. Coyote style rules for it!

There seems to be some interest in seeing my other minis. Unfortunately I recently stripped the paint off my elves as many were some of the first minis I painted and thus covered in too-thick, detail obscuring paint. I also wanted to change the colour scheme and work on some conversion projects with them in the future, so I don't have any photos. I do however have a couple of side projects that I have painted recently, which show a more layered painting technique with no use of washes or glazes at all. Each area of every mini has at least three shades built up on it from dark to light, and therefor took much longer than my current crop of dwarves.

The first is a unit of night goblins.

gallery_14886_1047_1041269.jpg

gallery_14886_1047_1532229.jpg

gallery_14886_1047_393218.jpg

As you can see I did these some time ago and so there is a little dust accumulating on the hoods and base edges. The Pros of this unit are the vibrant green of the gobbos' skin, and the various fungi I sculpted for their bases, which were painted to evoke the rubble strewn floor of some underground cavern. The worst things I think are the edge highlighting on the robes, which I hoped would give some definition, but is really much thicker than i'd like, and the yellow colours, which I find difficult to get a smooth and consistent finish with. 

The other side project I have done is a unit of deathwing terminators, which can be viewed in the same gallery. I won't post them here after re-reading the forum rules. 

both units took much longer to paint, despite the limited palette simply because they required a lot of layers to get the right amount of depth and smoothness. 

That's it for now, keep the comments coming :)

Edited by LancerD, 18 May 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#12 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

G'day all

Two more models have been added to the throng. This week I shall rule the skies with a pair of gyrocopters! 

gallery_14886_1046_1363661.jpg

These were painted in much the same way as the rest of the army, but I added a little detail to the snow bases. The first 'copter I did was this green one.

gallery_14886_1046_1631322.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1575951.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1600161.jpg

The colour scheme was inspired by that of WW2 aircraft- in particular the use "invasion stripes" on the rotor blades and tail, which were painted freehand. The pilot's jacked was painted to look like a buff coat used to protect from the wind and cold. Since the base looked a little bare with no actual model on it I decided to add some interest with a waystone taken from a skull pass terrain piece. This gyrocopter took about 3 hours total to paint which I think is reasonably quick for such a large model. 

The second model was painted in a red and off-white colour scheme, this time inspired by that used by the Red Baron.

gallery_14886_1046_1519003.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_64140.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1581293.jpg

This one took a little longer to paint simply because the red required a couple of extra coats to get right as red paints tend to be more translucent than greens. The pilot was painted feldgrau following this theme, as well as to make a nice contrast with the overall red colour of the aircraft. To this base I added a destroyed cannon, made by carefully wearing down a plastic cannon using a bench grinder and then building up snow around it to make it look half buried. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are familiar with using the tool and managing heat build up as the plastic will get to melting temperature very quickly if you aren't careful. 

These models represented a few challenges for me. The large flat areas do not lend themselves well to using washes, and I struggled a little bit to incorporate the large areas of colour on the models while still keeping an overall dark tone similar to the other minis in the army. In the end i used off-whites as clean white just brightened the whole mini too much. My freehand work also isn't the steadiest, but I am happy with the runes painted on each model. I'm not entirely convinced by the invasion stripes and may paint over them at a future date, but for now these guys are done, so I'm posting them here before moving on to the next unit. 

Hopefully people enjoy this post. Tips and comments are welcome - particularly those related to freehand work and painting large areas of flat colour.

#13 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

Great Couple of gyros!  I really like the green one.  I thought of D-day right off the back, before I read your inspiration!

#14 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Well another week and a personal best. I managed to get a full unit of 30 warriors finished, as well as a thane to lead them. Total time to paint them was about 14 hours, or 26 minutes per warrior and a little under an hour for the thane due to the extra highlighting and details on that model. First up are the warriors.

gallery_14886_1046_1184952.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1393407.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1383446.jpg

When I got these guys around 12 were already painted quite neatly, but had been so heavily treated with black ink that they looked like they had stepped out of a coal mine and the only real colour on the models was along the harder edges. With that in mind, rather than repainting the entire models or trying to strip with plastic (something I've had mixed success with - it works well if the model is just undercoated, not so much if it is spray primed) I decided to just go with the existing subdued blue and green colour scheme. The models that were already painted were just highlighted to bring up the detail and improve the contrast before being washed with the same strong shade as the rest of the army, while I painted the remaining figures to match as closely as possible. 

The thane was painted at the same time as the warriors, using a similar colour scheme, but with extra layers of highlighting to make the gold details as well as his cloak stand out more. I wanted him to mach the unit since it seemed fitting that he lead it into battle.

gallery_14886_1046_510344.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1449923.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_410651.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_929627.jpg

I was quite happy with the shading of the cloak, as well as the gold parts of his helmet, which are brighter than those of the unit to represent extra care and polish, as well as to make him stand out while still appearing to be part of the sane clan as the warriors.

gallery_14886_1046_509994.jpg

All in all it has felt like quite a productive week. I am much happier with the thane and warriors than the gyrocopters I did last week. I also felt that my eye painting has improved since I did the miners. I now have a reasonably sized force that looks quite good together on the table. There's still a long way to go until I'm finished though. Now I just need to decide what unit to paint up next. Any suggestions on what people would like to see in the future are welcome. 

gallery_14886_1046_877198.jpg

#15 Landy

Landy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

Looks like you need some artillery soon!

#16 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

very different look, like it!  :thumbup:

#17 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

Landy I definitely agree I'm a little light on the firepower side - something that I intend to rectify soon ;) 

Oridur, thanks. I like the idea of different clans with their own colours and traditions coming together in a throng rather than a single uniform colour scheme. Most dwarfs are meant to be warriors in time of need rather than full time professional soldiers after all. The 5th edition HE book constructed its army that way, basing it's units around the different provinces, which is what gave me the idea.

#18 Hazkal19

Hazkal19

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'm really enjoying this plog.

Your army certainly has a unique grim and dark feel to it which contrasts nicely with the snow bases.

Highlights for me so far are the slayer's hair / beard and the D-Day copter.

#19 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words Hazkal. I'm putting this plog up mostly for myself, but it's great to hear that other people are enjoying it too. I like the grim and gritty look for dwarves and there is so much texture on the models with all the beards and chainmail that they look good with a lot of contrast. I chose the snow bases because I think dark tones minis look better with light bases and vice versa. I was also inspire by the idea of a force of dwarfs given the task of defending the mountain passes between the Orc infested Dark Lands and the lands of the empire, and some classic pieces of art. The bases are completely covered to suggest deep snow drifts on the high mountains rather than the patchy areas of light snow after a thaw.

http://4.bp.blogspot...Dwarf_Force.jpg

http://i95.photobuck...mith_dwarfs.jpg

I haven't made a lot of progress this week due to various work and family commitments. I did plan on adding three units of thunderers and finishing all my skull pass minis. In the end though I only managed to complete one. This unit was one I originally painted about a year ago, so I dusted it off and touched it up a bit to fit better into my army. At the time I was doing a lot of reading about the Napoleonic wars and so I give you my Dwarven redcoats

gallery_14886_1046_623585.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1695478.jpg

I was going to do a second unit of skull pass thunderers, but I'm just getting a little sick of them  - there isn't a lot of detail on them and they are a bit boring to paint so they are on indefinite hiatus (although I may get back to them in the future). The coats are quite bright, making the unit stand out as wealthier dwarfs who can afford to buy handguns and powder from the engineers guild, but the snow bases and dark metal help them to look like part of the rest of the throng. The skirts were painted a dark blue/green to suggest the government tartan used by the Black Watch and other highland regiments without trying to paint a tartan pattern on such a small area. Overall I'm reasonably happy with the unit, but I think my painting has definitely improved since I originally did these guys.

I did manage to make a start on a second unit of metal thunderers from 6th edition. I really like these models and wanted to do something a bit special. Continuing on the idea of thunderers being wealthier dwarfs who could afford fancier clothing I decided to make use of the texture on the models and paint their jackets with blue and white stripes. These guys are still WIP, but they give some idea of how the colour scheme should hopefully turn out.

gallery_14886_1046_1793570.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1394635.jpg

That's it for now. It's a long weekend here so I'm hoping I will have more progress to talk about in the next few days, so stay tuned.

Edited by LancerD, 07 June 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#20 LancerD

LancerD

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

Quick update on the thunderers. I have finished the five test models which I posted above, and I'm rather pleased with them. Unfortunately it looks like one of the the bases got an errant fingerprint or something on it, so that will be smoothed out, but these are otherwise finished, which means that the rest of the unit should soon follow :) A word of advice to anyone who hasn't painted these metal thunderers before - paint the face and eyes first! They are really deeply recessed on these figures and getting a brush past the helmet, shoulder, beard and handgun and still being able to reach everything I had to reach was a challenge. 

gallery_14886_1046_553003.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_616121.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1390723.jpg

gallery_14886_1046_1308496.jpg

The white and blue are cold colours, but I think the minis maintain an overall warm tone thanks to the dark brown leather and wood, along with the golden yellow trim. I'm also realising the importance of using an off-white. The staining effect of the wash helps to prevent the white stripes from looking too "clean" and standing out from the rest of the model. 

Anyway I hope people enjoy these classic models. Let us know what you think.

Edited by LancerD, 11 June 2014 - 07:04 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plog, speed painting, miners, ironbreakers, dragon slayer, dip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users