• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro Fleet Commander

Gyro Fleet Commander

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Fellow dwarfs I have a tournament coming up this weekend with the below list. Unfortunatley the list has been submitted and so cannot be changed but hoping for your thoughts on where it could suffer

Heroes 434 points (19%)

Thane

BSB (MR of Grungni; 2 Runes of Slowness); shield.

Runesmith

2 Runes of Spellbreaking; Rune of Stone; shield.

Runesmith

2 Runes of Spellbreaking; Rune of the Furnace; Rune of Stone; shield.

Core 570 points (25.333%)

30 Dwarf Warriors

FC GW

21 Dwarf Warriors

FC GW

Special 804 points (36%)

21 Hammerers

musician; standard bearer (Rune of Slowness); Keeper of the Gate ( Rune of Fire; Rune of Speed)

Cannon

Rune of Burning; Rune of Forging.

Gyrocopter

steam gun; Vanguard.

Gyrocopter

steam gun; Vanguard.  

Gyrocopter

steam gun.

Rare 442 points (20%)

Organ Gun

Rune of Accuracy; Rune of Forging..

18 Rangers

FC

The plan is to keep the three combat blocks tight and use the gyros as redirectors and elf cookers. The rangers are there as i had them in as Quarrellers but realised i had points spare in rare so changed to give a tactical option should i face a vangaurding fast cav list.

All thoughts appreciated

#2 Notts

Notts

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

looks pretty good!

I think the 2nd unit of warriors is too small, but too late now!

#3 Gyro Fleet Commander

Gyro Fleet Commander

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Notts,

yeah it is one of the things that was due to the models i had rather than tactical choice. Hoping to use it more for flank charges where it will hopefully do some damage but i'm not really hoping for to much with it. it's most likely going to end up as an expensive redirector

#4 Bimli

Bimli

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

the list look good you should of split up your ranger into 2 units can you still do this???

#5 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Looks really good mate, good luck. I like it a lot. Good call on the rangers.

Some commentary though. You are clearly putting the bsb in some warriors. I wonder if stoicism might not have been better than slowness? Or maybe 1 slow and
stoic? The hammerers feel a little light. Expect to lose them every game. you don't need speed on the keeper... His weapon stops being a GW when its runed, so he strikes before the unit anyway... Unless it was just to bump his I, aimingbfor simultaneous hits in which case, that's not bad.

#6 Gyro Fleet Commander

Gyro Fleet Commander

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Had game last night against a wall of nurgle backed up by Pink Horros. Didn't go to well, game end with just one runesmith running from a massive combat. Yes made some mistakes and rolled some bad dice but overall not sure this list can cope with them.

Bimli - Too late to split them but also wanted to keep these this big as I'll mainly be using them as quarrellers but just deploying them last. Though they were star performers last night killing two skullcannons by deploying behind the lines.

Taxi - Yes wish i had put stoicism in as last night it would have been very useful. The speed rune was to allow him to go before I2 regens, think nurgle, but think you are right i don't need it as they are not going to kill him before he gets chance to hit and he is not going to another to kill them. The hammerers are light however I always feel they are going to die even in big units and feel too many is wasting more points. still not sure on this though

#7 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

I think you're wrong about the Hammerers. The more you take, the more their chances of surviving increase at a disproportionate rate. When I use Hammerers, I usually take about 40 of them in a single unit. I don't think I've lost the unit yet, in all the games I've played!

#8 Morlenn

Morlenn

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

What formation do you field your rangers in?

#9 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

It depends on how many you have.

NOTE: Regarding the Hammerers conversation: An anecdotal point was a game I played against a Strollaz' army yesterday! My opponent brought 40 Hammerers in one unit. By the end of the game, he was down to just a very few. Had he taken any less than he did, I would have destroyed the unit, but since he took enough Hammerers to soak up the casualties I inflicted with shooting, he denied me all this points while still threatening my units!

#10 Morlenn

Morlenn

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

It depends on how many you have.

If you are running 18, do you run 6x3 or 9x2 for the two rows of fire?

#11 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

Ahh, if you only have 18, you probably don't want to try to use them offensively, so line 'em up in a position where they won't hopefully have to move and will have decent targets the whole game long, 9x2 and shoot away--as a rule of thumb, sitting here from my armchair. Anyway, that's probably what you'll want to do if you can. Most games will take a significant amount thinking on your feet, so ultimately, it'll all depend on the situation.

#12 Gyro Fleet Commander

Gyro Fleet Commander

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

So tournament has come and gone and I’ll do a full write up later in the week but regarding the points above.

Yes if I go with hammerers again a bigger unit would be good however the banner for ItP is by far the most important, 3 failed fear tests really messed them up (though I found out later I should not have been taking all of them as I had a flaming weapon I didn’t need to against cav etc). . They were wiped out in 4/5 games but one was due to breaking so the numbers would not have really saved them. Think I might go with 28 next time.

For rangers they did really well and tbh at one point were the starts of the show, however it was not until I lost them in the second to last game that I realised how many points they were and at times I was using them as throw away unit. I ran them 2*9 and only reformed once to hold up a DP for a few more turns. The stand and shoot combined with GW works really well. Having said all this I think I will have to try the irondrakes next which will unfortunately push the rangers back to quarrellers to rare allocation.

Edited by Gyro Fleet Commander, 19 May 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#13 Gyro Fleet Commander

Gyro Fleet Commander

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

As mentioned bit of a write up, more a summary/ramblings, can be found here if interested

http://www.bugmansbr...warfs/?p=484737

#14 landonelf

landonelf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Quick tidbit. The champion would have been immune to fear from cavalry and warbeast units, but the rest of the unit would still have to test. Same goes for champions with weapons that cause fear.

I feel you though on freaking psycology tests with hammerers. I once failed a terror test from a black coach and fled my horde off the board. You think at LD9 they would be ok.

#15 Gyro Fleet Commander

Gyro Fleet Commander

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Thanks, must admit i knew it caused fear but i thought it was only if you caused a wound. now i know it does auto. will remember that only the champion is now immune, but as i'm planning on running the ItP banner from now on this will be less relevant.

#16 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Why would your Hammerers have been afraid of cavalry and warbeast units?

#17 landonelf

landonelf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

I beleive he was referring to the frequently forgotten rule where a unit with flaming attacks causes fear in cavalry, monstrous cavalry. chariots, and warbeasts.

So if he were fighting say a Chariot with fear as a special ability, a unit with flaming attacks would also cause fear and thus they would negate each other.

#18 Gyro Fleet Commander

Gyro Fleet Commander

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Fiends, Flesh hounds and cold ones I think were the three. They may well have been in combat with a few beasts of Nurgle as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tournament

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users