Indeed!  You make me want to get them.  He looks great! :thumbup:

#22 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

Thank you everyone! This thread is the first time I've posted photos of my painting anywhere on the internet, it's really gratifying how positive you've all been!

The second ranger is underway. For the initial ranger I added some grey to the green to change the shade. For this second one I might try a brown, with the plan being every cloak will be an ever so slightly different shade of green. Hopefully this will make them look like some rangers have served for longer/been out in the wilderness more.

#23 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Morning all! The second ranger isn't far off now. It's now dawned on me that I should consider how the unit will rank up, something I haven't done much in the past, often would make all the models and hope they rank alongside one another...

To that end I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. The first unit will consist of 10 rangers, and do to his forward facing stance I'd like the first ranger I painted to the central model. I'm playing around with the idea of the models either side of him look to the sides slightly, with the ones on the ends looking furthest sideways. This is to represent them looking all around them, "scouting" as much as possible. See the image below... Reading the desription back a picture tells what I'm trying to say much better...

8utasase.jpg

#24 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

They look great and the Placement looks perfect.

Its the first AOW Ranger Unit I have seen where People didn`t put the Backrank arms up high in an arkward, anatomically impossible Position or assembled them looking like they failed their Animosity check. Stuff like that really worsens the overall look in my Eyes.

Thats what had put me off, they looked impossible to rank up, that arkward PVC Plastic and my eternal Grudge for AOW for hosing me on more than one occasion.

But now I really want them, must check the secondary market or my local Plastick Crack Dealer. Me wants  :heart: .

Painted to your standard that whole Unit will look Badass. 

Edited by Theatralic, 23 June 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#25 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Really nice paint job, well done!  The unit will look great once it's complete.  

On a side note, those look like they were a pain to rank up.  How much fiddling around did it take to get them to rank up?

Do they have to be positioned on the tray in a certain order?

Edited by Foe-Hammer, 23 June 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#26 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Love the tone!  Very nice indeed!  Blond beard reciepe?

#27 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

I have actually chosen some of your images and converted a few of my xbow figure for the group build

#28 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thanks again for the kind feedback!

The kit can be tricky to rank up, nothing that maneuvering and tweaking with blu tac can't solve. I'm actually quite enjoying the challenge.

For the blonde beards it's as simple as a base of karak stone, followed by a wash of gryffon sepia, followed by highlights of karak stone and ushabti bone, maybe some white to finish off :)

I've finally finished the second ranger. He has some brown mixed into the cloak colours to give it a slightly different hue to the first ranger. I also attempted a ginger beard which I'm pleased with how it turned out.

husymavy.jpg
beqedana.jpg
jyqenype.jpg
ase7equ2.jpg

The unit is underway :)

ryquva9u.jpg

Let me know what you think!

#29 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Still a Fan...big one...I will use your Guys as inspiration should I ever ge some. lovely!

I think I would Paint some Gold on the Axe and the Gem in the Middle to break the Metal up. 

#30 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Cheers once again Theatralic, looking forward to the next model on your thread.

I had thought about adding some variety to the axe. The initial idea was to keep it all as steel to keep it simple, but may add some weathered bronze and a dark gem of some.sort, nothing too garish. Thanks for the advice, always appreciated.

#31 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

Looking great! :thumbup:

#32 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Today I've been working on a conversion for my Old Guard of the Longbeards. Really like the bald musician head but felt it would look great for the champion. Some work still to go in the way of cutting and most likely greenstuff. The lower half of the beard is from the ordinary longbeard champion. 2evatyhy.jpg

Edited by Reka Dvegrsson, 28 June 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#33 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hello all!

I finally have another update, done a small batch of three rangers!

Here they are!

7ydavu4u.jpg
4are7u8a.jpg
5ydu7y4e.jpg

And here they are with the two I'd already done.

ge7y4eby.jpg

I suppose arguably that could be a unit completed! :D Though I will be adding in a rank behind them.

Hope you like them!

#34 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

Look great!   :thumbup:   Need to add some wash though.  Make some things "pop" better.

#35 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Very nice, blondie is still the stand out one for me, great stuff.

#36 Essmir Ulv

Essmir Ulv

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Great to see you're rangers coming allong! :)

#37 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thanks guys, really happy how they're coming together.

Very nice, blondie is still the stand out one for me, great stuff.

He's certainly still my favourite. I might see about adding in a musician and rearranging them so he is front and centre.

#38 Gitz_Bitz

Gitz_Bitz

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Really like those models and you've painted them exceptionally!

I know what I'm going to order next...

#39 Grimwald the Surly

Grimwald the Surly

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Those rangers are really nicely done. I must say I love that green colour scheme. Your take on these models is really well done. I'm quite tempted to pick some up for myself now.

#40 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Thanks everyone! As always I really appreciate your feedback. I've been away for the last week and a half and will be for another week so there won't be any more progress for a while. There may be more greenstuff work coming soon...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: norse dwarf, greenstuff, sculpting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users