#1 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hello all!

First post since following this forum in January among rumours of the recent dwarf release, I have finally come around to making a profile to show some of the new dwarfs I have been working on, hope you like them.

These are early stage conversions. The new dwarf releases inspired me to begin dwarfs once again (dwarfs were the first models I ever painted over 10 years ago in my youth) and it's nice revisiting the stalwart stunties.

Mentions of Norse dwarfs in the army book really inspired me, as I have always loved Norse mythology. To that end I'm trying to "norseify" the new kits where possible, currently in the form of greenstuff cloaks and fur (this is my first attempt at using greenstuff to this extent..).

I have also tried to vary the poses of the new kit where possible, and found dynamic poses are achievable. This is the first time I've posted any models of mine online, it's a tad nerve-wracking but I hope you like what you see.

Norse Conversion 1

^ Inspired by the longbeard artwork from the new army book.

Norse Conversion 2

Norse Conversion 3

Norse Conversion Idea

^ Potential Thane idea using new longbeard parts with Avatars of War Pathfinder bits.

Norse Greenstuff 1

Norse Greenstuff Test

^ Practice attempt, very rough, testing out techniques. Below are the finished products.

Norse Greenstuff Complete 1

Norse Greenstuff Complete 2

Norse Greenstuff Complete 3

Norse Greenstuff Complete 4

Norse Greenstuff Complete 5

Norse Greenstuff Complete Group

Sorry for the large number of pics, I have been working on these for the past couple of months! Really enjoying this project. Comments and criticism welcome :)

Edited by Reka Dvegrsson, 01 May 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#2 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

The capes look great. :)

Your Thane has three hands by the way. :P

#3 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks!

Haha I know, he was just a practice with blu tac, nothing permanent. The extra hand would be removed if I assemble him like that, was just to see how he would look with those parts :) I assemble my models with blu tac before gluing, silly need to pedantically check how everything looks before committing to glue.

#4 Grimwald the Surly

Grimwald the Surly

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

A very inspired project. I do like the progress you have made with the cloaks. I do wish I could do something to that degree.

#5 Skorni_Thunderfist

Skorni_Thunderfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Amazing stuff really! Love it!

#6 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thank you all for the kind words! Really encouraging :)

I was very daunted by the prospect of doing the cloaks, but I found a method which can make it much easier. I make an imprint using an Avatars of War Pathfinder cloak, that way some rough folds are already made. Then using nothing but a toothpick and lots of water as a lubricant, I cut out the cloak shape, and begin sculpting further with the cloak on my finger tip. All the cloaks so far began with the same stamp, but through gradual working they've all turned out differently.

As for the fur, that is added later and seems to be improving with every attempt. Once painted we'll see if the sculpting holds up.

Thanks again for the comments :)

#7 Folkungen

Folkungen

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Sculpting looks great! What else have you planned in terms of GS'ing and whatnots?

#8 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

Very nice!  The cloaks look great!  I also like the creative posing!

#9 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

I like the left handed Longbeard. So simple, but it sure breaks up monotony in your rank and file.

The cloaks are awesome! I've played around with GS for a bit, and I can't believe how smooth and clean your cloaks are. The only thing I can comment on this, is that I would use a thinner line of fur on the cloaks, with less regular ending. The third cloak picture is the best imo, but they are all unbelievably well sculpted!

#10 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

Folkungen - Thanks! For the longbeards I think it will only be cloaks for the most part, though I was thinking about making some of the helmets enclosed around the eyes to add some variety from duplicate heads. For the rest of the force I'm planning, I'm planning on similar cloaks for Ironbreakers, only larger, with fur maybe going partly over the shoulder plates, to make them look large and imposing. For hammerers, I had a plan to add beastmen horns to ironbreaker and longbeard heads as if they are selected from the other units as the best of the best. They would also have cloaks, though perhaps with backpacks, being a nomadic force with a plan to vanguard the hammerers, maybe they'd take their gear straight into the fight. However, I've now since seen Avatars-of-War doomcrushers and am very tempted to field them as hammerers.

Oridur - Thank you very much! Where possible I try to make dynamic poses, hopefully I can find more with some more experimenting/cutting/swapping.

Helblindi - Thank you also! The left handed guy is probably my favourite conversion, the artwork from the new book just makes me want to make the models as like them as possible! Thanks for the comments regarding the fur, I will certainly use some thinner lines of fur, while keeping some larger ones, to add as much variety as I can. This is all very new to me, hence why the last fur on the right is very different to the first on the left :)

Unfortunately there are unlikely to be many progress updates this month as my models are at my parents' place in the highlands while I finish my exams for my degree, once they are to hand though I hope to make a lot of progress this summer :D

#11 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Finally, now that my degree is over, I have time once again for working on the dwarfs (I apologise if this is considered threadomancy). After an initial attempt which I bailed on, I began a practice model to work out colours and themes for the force. I've attempted to paint the scales as leather, to give the illusion of a lighter armoured northern nomadic force.

I've also tried a bicarbonate of soda snow base.

vapyduse.jpg

A pre-basing back shot to show the painted greenstuff cloak...

gyqebure.jpg

Further highlights could be made to numerous elements of the model, but for now I'm pleased with the result.

Let me know what you think :)

#12 Essmir Ulv

Essmir Ulv

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

And you want to fool us to belive you´re not good at green stuff? it locks gogeus!

#13 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

Ooo very nice work. I like the tone you painted them in too, as it really adds to the "Norse" theme. :thumbup:

#14 Novgord V

Novgord V

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

Great work, and a very nice job with the green stuff :)

The snow came out very nicely!

#15 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Finished my second dwarf of this nomadic force today, this time an Avatars-of-War Pathfinder (these guys will be my rangers). I tried to get a washed out look to the edges and end of the hood and cloak, pleased with the final result!
a7e5ynab.jpg
qa3e5e7u.jpg
uty5u2ad.jpg

Let me know what you think!

#16 Murphey

Murphey

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Love it! I especially love the brown/green washout on the backpack! Very well done!

#17 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Man, you really make me wanna get some of those Rangers. Thats the First Paint Job i really like on them of all those I have seen, great Stuff!

Great work on the Cloacks also, my only nitpicking would be that I found the Fur Part a bit too small and not enough Volume. I would love to see it streatch over the Shoulders. But this is from someone who has no Green Stuff Skill at all ;).

Keep it coming :)!

#18 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Thanks all!

Theatralic, that is high praise indeed coming from you, thank you. They are lovely models, I was worried initially about the casting quality, but that's most likely due to how pristene Games-Workshops casting is. Once the paint is on the lovely sculpting of the models seems to shine through!

Regarding the cloaks, I see what you mean. I think for future cloaks I will attempt more fur over the shoulders, that way there'll be more variety in the unit which is never a bad thing!

Thank you all for the praise and advice once again. :)

Edited by Reka Dvegrsson, 20 June 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#19 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Finished my second dwarf of this nomadic force today, this time an Avatars-of-War Pathfinder (these guys will be my rangers). I tried to get a washed out look to the edges and end of the hood and cloak, pleased with the final result!
a7e5ynab.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Love it! I can see why you've chosen this pic as your avatar. Some classic colour combinations going on, well executed too.

#20 Skorni_Thunderfist

Skorni_Thunderfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Looks amazing! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: norse dwarf, greenstuff, sculpting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users