21 replies to this topic

#1 SubTwo

SubTwo

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Here's my latest update to my strollaz list that utterly decimated a buddy of mine's vc list (i killed all but 2 characters and half a skelly block, he only killed my rangers).  I'll be taking this to a 3-game tourney this weekend, so if all goes well and I remember to take notes, I'll be adding my post-game analysis over the weekend.  Anyway, on to the list:

Lords

• Dragonlord (general) - Shieldbearers, greatweapon, RoIron2, RoStone, RoWarding3

Heroes

• Thane - BSB, shield, MRoGrungni, Strollaz, RoSlowness1
  • Passagesmith - shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking2, RoPassage
  • Runesmith - shield, RoStone, RoSpellbreaking2

Core

• Longbeards x40 - greatweapons, full command, Strollaz (<= Runesmith goes here)

Special

• Hammerers x30 - musician, standard, RoSlowness1, Strollaz (<= Lord + Passagesmith goes here)
  • Gyrocopter - Vanguard
  • Gyrocopter

Rare

• Irondrakes x19 - full command, RoStoicsism, Trollhammer Torpedo (<= BSB goes here)
  • Rangers x 5

Comes out to 2500pts on the nose.

The basic setup to use the irondrakes as a stubborn, stand-and-shoot, slowness anvil that will be flanked by the longbears and the hammerers to essentially form a bear-trap.  The reason the passagesmith has RoPassage is b/c he had Furnance, but I had 5pts left over and couldn't think of anything to use it on.  Obviously the big downfall here is going to be combatregen, but I'll just have to weather that storm when it comes.  

As always C&C welcomed and appreciated.

#2 Snorri Stonebeard

Snorri Stonebeard

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

What should the "passagesmith" do?! oO

#3 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Curse of Anrahir, gnoblar trappers, charging, fleeing, or pursuing through dangerous terrain like rivers and scree slopes, etc. It's more useful than folks think.

Edited by Montegue, 17 April 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#4 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

You're probably right. I should look through my recorded battles from 8th edition and see how often I lost models to difficult terrain tests. The problem, though, is that it's 10 points for a potential protection that you might not need and, even if you do, you might need it with a different unit than the one the bearer ends up joining... I just don't know. I guess I'll have to do some research...

#5 SubTwo

SubTwo

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Normally I wouldn't take it, but after I built the list, I had a spare 5 points and nothing to really spend it on, so I swapped Furnace for Passage.  One thing it does do, is let you be a bit more brazen with the unit.  In the one game I played I looked around at difficult terrain on the table and felt myself attempting to get the opponent to move through that via the hammerers without caring myself about the difficult terrain tests.

#6 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

That's exactly what I imagined would be the case. It's potentially nice, too, since forests are probably the most common difficult terrain and will change the way units behave when in said terrain. Being able to largely ignore difficult terrain tests could potentially make a big difference psychologically if nothing else.

#7 datalink7

datalink7

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

That's exactly what I imagined would be the case. It's potentially nice, too, since forests are probably the most common difficult terrain and will change the way units behave when in said terrain. Being able to largely ignore difficult terrain tests could potentially make a big difference psychologically if nothing else.

But forests don't cause Difficult Terrain tests for infantry. Only thing that I know of that does is Marshes, which if you use the terrain generator only come up on an 11 (5.5% chance).

#8 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Poison Forests do. :) With the rune, your unit can hang out in the forest and enjoy fee poison attacks all day. And the unit is almost certainly going to be stubborn, so you don't care about losing steadfast. 

Certain mysterious rivers cause dangerous terrain tests. Scree slopes cause them when you charge, run, or pursuit through them. Any dangerous terrain on the table does that, actually (so, it's usefulness is almost entirely dependent on your local meta and how you play terrain, and how many local ogre players use gnoblar trappers as screens or how many players take Lore of Beasts). 

Edited by Montegue, 20 April 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#9 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Good thoughts, guys. Some good things to consider.

#10 Thorgrimtheunyielding

Thorgrimtheunyielding

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

This list looks great! I'll probably use something like this in an upcoming battle.

#11 datalink7

datalink7

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

I'd also consider throwing a pistol on the BSB. This will make any stand and shoot reaction be at close range, due to the short range of the pistol, maximizing your hits.

#12 Thorgrimtheunyielding

Thorgrimtheunyielding

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

How do you plan to deploy your units? How wide X long will they be?

#13 SubTwo

SubTwo

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Typically, the longbeards and irondrakes deploy 10 wide, and the hammerers 7 wide

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#14 SubTwo

SubTwo

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

The batreps for the tournament I took this list to can be found here: http://www.bugmansbr...urney/?p=480690

#15 SubTwo

SubTwo

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

I'd also consider throwing a pistol on the BSB. This will make any stand and shoot reaction be at close range, due to the short range of the pistol, maximizing your hits.

Unless I'm mistaken, the pistol's range is 12", which is 3" further than short range of the drake guns, so they would still be firing at long range.  What you would need is a throwing axe on him, but sadly that's not an option.

#16 datalink7

datalink7

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, the pistol's range is 12", which is 3" further than short range of the drake guns, so they would still be firing at long range.  What you would need is a throwing axe on him, but sadly that's not an option.

Ah, you're right. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that it was 6", because to use Empire Pistoliers you have to get them within 6" to hope that they hit anything :P

Well that is unfortunate. Now I have to go redo my own BSB/Irondrake build. Though, if you just happened to have the extra points lying around if you modify the build at all, I suppose it's not a bad thing to throw on him anyway.

Edited by datalink7, 21 April 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#17 The Iron Bear

The Iron Bear

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

That's why people take cinderblast bombs, then the shortest range in the unit is 8 so the drake guns get no penalty for long range

#18 Bimli

Bimli

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

That's why people take cinderblast bombs, then the shortest range in the unit is 8 so the drake guns get no penalty for long range

How would the cinderblast bomb work with this regard? Do you put the middle of the template at the front for the charging unit then scatter as normal? If that is the case that is somthing for me to consider.....

#19 SubTwo

SubTwo

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

The rules for cinder blast bombs and stand+shoot are still unclear. We're all hoping this is addressed in the FAQ (whenever that is...)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#20 The Iron Bear

The Iron Bear

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

How would the cinderblast bomb work with this regard? Do you put the middle of the template at the front for the charging unit then scatter as normal? If that is the case that is somthing for me to consider.....

I believe this is how they work, it's up for debate as sub two says but whether you fire the cinderblast bombs or not, the rules are based on the shortest range ranged weapon in the unit not the shortest range ranged weapon firing so you negate the penalty if long range on the drake guns just by having it there.

If it does work as you suggest above (which I agree with) then it is even better!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strollaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users