14 replies to this topic

#1 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

Sorry if you came here looking for pics, this hasn't started yet.

I'm looking for input on a conversion I intend to do. You got it, rocket-pack dwarfs instead of the gyro's. The intent is something like these:

http://olde-skool-wa...01_archive.html

http://www.bugmansbr...blindis-throng/ (scroll down)

I prefer the version with smoke and intend to do the same. I'll be making 3 at this stage. The intent is to give the best representation as possible of the actual rules of the model, so same armour save and armaments, and as such I think the new ironbreaker/drake kit works best. The best part is, for about the same price as 1 gyro I can get 3, plus 7 more breakers/drakes.

So here's what I'm planning on:

Body: Ironbreaker. These are best as the gromril gives 4+, in line with the gyro. I will chop/reglue/green stuff the feet to 'hang'

Head: Either gyropilot head or the winged helm - suggestions?

Left arm: Irondrake champion pistol. I'll convert chop the top off a cinderblast and attach to the bottom as a cannister for generating steam (it looks like a 3-part cannister, so 1 for water, and 2 for a chemical that combines to heat the water). I might paint the cannister 2/3 colours to represent this and draw attention.

Right arm: The irondrake right arm holding a cinderblast

Jetpack: I was thinking I prefer the head accessory thing from the warriors that has the flame coming out, though I don't mind helblini's idea - thoughts?

Mounting: I like Helblindi's mounting, though I probably won't go as tall or have quite as wide a plume at the bottom, more for convenience.

I would love some input before I start, and yes I'll post pics, but I won't get around to doing it too soon - have a wedding to pay for/plan

Cheers!

#2 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:34 AM

Personally I don't like the concept of Jump Dwarfs at all. It would be a nice idea if there would be something like 40k Dwarfs, but it just doesn't fit the Warhammer Fantasy world at all. Gyrocopters are high-tech already. Just take a look at our own world. It is 'easy' to create copters, but people flying around isn't something you really see.

That being said, I wish you all the best with your project. ;)

Edited by Yorri Damminson, 04 April 2014 - 01:34 AM.

#3 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:14 AM

I get what you mean, I didn't think it was great until I saw blindi's conversion and fell in love. Seriously he did a fantastic job.

THEN, I started thinking about the rules and it starts to make a lot of sense.

They have heavy armour AND jetpacks to lug around, so low movement on the ground.

It's not a stretch to take the technology of a flame cannon or trollhammer to adapt a relevan propulsion system. Drakeguns seem like a more advanced technology. Heck, look at human history - rockets were around long before helicopters or autogyros - the problem isn't taking off, it's landing :).

The gyros, especially the new ones, don't look like they could actually fly

The way flyers work is they start and end on the ground. This really feels more like 'hops' than true flying. So this applies itself very well to, instead of sustained rocket flight, simply a way to 'jump really far'

#4 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hmmmm, I'm thinking this will work well with the infantry.  Just kinda place-marking here so I don't forget.

#5 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

I'm honored by your compliments :queen:

The new kits certainly provide a lot of new parts to work with. Using a drake gun seems like a great idea, and you can easily put a pilot's head onto a drake's body. If you have a lot of cannon bullets lying around, those are practically jetpacks already. Otherwise, I don't know any real alternative to the dragonheads. (I'm currently thinking about giving a dwarf wings from the new gyro box...)

On the mounting: I'd like to warn you. My contraption isn't going to last long. Everytime I pick it up, I feel some of the plastic in the smoke column moving a little bit, giving a strong feeling of impending destruction. So I would advise you to look for a different material, as the sprue bits are hard to glue together. Maybe just copper wire might work a whole lot better.

Best of luck, I'm excited to see your flyers!

#6 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for the input. I get what you mean about the 'contraption'. I was planning on doing this:

1) pin the model to the 'tower'.

2) pin the tower to the base.

3) construct the tower by using a single length of sprue for the whole height, angled forward, and 2 support pieces angled on, like this:

jetpack_wireframe.png?_subject_uid=39313

Another thought is to use part of a clear flyer base podium attached to one foot with just a bit of smoke (or none) coming out behind, but that feels weaker.

Edited by TaxiForBiggins, 04 April 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#7 ARabidNun

ARabidNun

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Dude you should check out the kickstarter for the metalbeards from Titans forge here: https://www.kickstar...etop-dwarf-army

In particular their cloudsmashers on their update page 4, about half-way down.  I plan on using several of their figurines in my army, since GW's are getting out of fashion for me.

#8 Vidpui

Vidpui

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

something like thisDwarfMountconcept.jpg

#9 Murphey

Murphey

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'm not seeing any counter rotation in the picture (as awesome as it looks).

The poor laddie is going to spiral off into the sky like some grobi from a catapault!

#10 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Thanks guys.

ARabidNun thanks, but I want to get back to tournaments so I want it legal :)

Vidpui - that looks awesome :) I had thought of doing similar but Murphey is right... I would have to think of a way to make it technically feasible for 'realism'

#11 Storri Bronzebeard

Storri Bronzebeard

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

There's a really great tutorial on making explosions on the ammobunker. Would look great as a plume of smoke and flame under a rocket pack:

http://s3.zetaboards...opic/7493864/1/

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

#12 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

Hey thanks for that! I wanted the clean look of white smoke, but that looks so good I might have to give it a go!

#13 gerry51

gerry51

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

How about  " Handgliding " Dwarfs  :smiling:  

#14 Ven Dread

Ven Dread

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

I want to build the single rotor dwarf helicopter backpack from that image... so inspiring! Add it to my 4-5 Gyro copters...

D

#15 Ven Dread

Ven Dread

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

I want to build the single rotor dwarf helicopter backpack from that image... so inspiring! Add it to my 4-5 Gyro copters...

D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gyrocopter, conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users