12 replies to this topic

#1 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

I have seen pictures in the past of people adding the plastic warrior banners to the old metal hammerer standard bearer.

Can some one tell me how to do it, or link me to a tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

I don't have any pictures. However, I just removed the bannertop from the Hammerer standard and glued the regular plastic banner ontop of it. Nothing special, really. :)

#3 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

I used the Top of one Warrior Standard Pole, not entirely sure if it were 6th or 7th Edition ones.

They are nearly a prefect Fit. I glued that one in Place first and after that Placed the hammerers Pole Banners in Place under It.

Things I did bad:

- I should have smoothened the still visible Transition between the two Poles with liquid Green Stuff or similar

- My Super Glue spilled. I should have sanded that down. Its still visible under the Black Basecoat.

- Didn`t pin it, but it is glued on pretty well.

But its easy and fast enough, just do it more meticulous than me and nobody will notice ;).

3J489MI.jpg

Dcr80a7.jpg

Hope that helps.

#4 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

I now realise I didn't explain myself that well :D as what I want is what you did Theatralic, but also using the original Hammerer Standard's top on top of the plastic banner.

But maybe the easier thing to do is indeed just removing the original banner top, and just adding a plastic banner instead. :)

#5 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Now it makes more sense, to be honest I was allready asking myself while somebody like you would have problems with a simple Banner Switch :thumbup: .

i would switch the Banner Top eintirely, ist not worth the Hustle in my eyes to convert the whole Thing just for the sake of keeping the original head. But I am a lazy fella at heart and not the best when it comes to cutting and working clean.

Looking forward to some Updates from you!

Edited by Theatralic, 26 March 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#6 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Maybe this will help:

g3n4.jpg

It was really easy to do. Basically, I shaved off most of the back of the metal banner top, so it was mostly smooth, leaving the little lip at the top of the groove where the metal banner pole would fit in. 

I then shaved down the top of the plastic banner so that the metal banner top would fit snugly on the top of it, and I put the two together.

In terms of sticking the banner to the pole held by the banner bearer, I didn't really change anything, just sticking the plastic banner onto the pole, with the join occuring at the same spot as if you'd used the plastic banner arm. That made the very top of the banner pole thinner than the bit held by the standard bearer, but I don't think that matters.

I think tall this sounds more complex than it really was - it was actually really easy!

I'm sorry I'm not at home at present (or for a few weeks), so I can't give you a more clear picture to emphasise the conversion. But it was really easy, rest assured.

#7 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Lord Alisk!

If you could post some extra pics (like from the back), that would be even more awesome. :D

#8 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well, I'm away from home for another 2 1/2 weeks (going back on April 13, most likely), so I'm afraid I can't post pictures until then. However, if they'll still be of use, I'll happily do it then. I'm just sorry you'll have to wait so long.

#9 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Well, I'm away from home for another 2 1/2 weeks (going back on April 13, most likely), so I'm afraid I can't post pictures until then. However, if they'll still be of use, I'll happily do it then. I'm just sorry you'll have to wait so long.

No worries. I'm still painting an Organ Gun, and have a Gyrocopter on ly desk as well. ;)

#10 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

I had done something similar to Lord Alisk but his turned out much nicer. The big problem I had, however, was the weight of the banner tipping over the model. I've given up and gone for just a plastic banner.

http://i1227.photobu...zpsc8ff62c8.jpg

On some of my other models I am going to cut the poles off, drill through the hand at a more desirable angle, and stick brass rods in place of the flimsy pewter.  The problem with doing this on the hammerer model is he is holding it with two hands and has the pole planted in his thigh. The whole model defies modifications. :wallbash:

#11 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hello there. 

I got home on Monday night, so I'm sorry I didn't do this sooner, but I hope this pictures help. I put up pictures of a similar conversion I did with a slayer banner.

ilel.jpg

wgem.jpg

29wi.jpg

08cx.jpg

So, the hammerer banner is just trimmed to fit and stuck on the metal banner pole (hence the very top bit of the pole is thinner than the rest of it), and the plastic banner top trimmed off to replace with the metal one. The slayer banner is a bit more involved. The whole top was carved to fit around the troll head, and with the top bit sculpted to give a fabric covering to the pole and give tapes for the metal medallions to hang from. However, it was still a very easy thing to do.

As I say, it's a pretty easy conversion to do. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Before long, I'll probably convert my metal long beard banner bearer in the same way (perhaps with the square ranger/Xbow/thunderer flag, to avoid too much repetition).

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit.

All best,

David.

Edited by Lord Alisk, 16 April 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#12 Ven Dread

Ven Dread

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

I much prefer the newer plastic banners to making paper banners

#13 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

I much prefer the newer plastic banners to making paper banners

I'd agree with that - I find paper banners a bit of a faff. However, people who really knew what they were doing, especially if they were working on foil rather than paper, could make some absolutely wonderful banners. That was far beyond my skill level though - my own paper banners are usually OK, but nothing special.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hammerer, standard bearer, banner, how to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users