4 replies to this topic

#1 R. of Penetrating

R. of Penetrating

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

Hello all.

I have been working on this list since the new book came out and was hoping to get some feed back. The central idea is to play to our dwarfen strengths, combat and shooting. I played a lot back in 7th with a list that was simmilar in concept and it worked good. My old list had a sweet trick for getting the opponet to split their forces, something I would love to be able to figure out for this current eddition and army book. But i'm sure you all know finding such a subtlety requires a lot a playtesting. So here is the first draft of my list.

Lord (with the hammers) General

-Shieldberers, GW, Ro Stone

pt: 196

Rune Lord (with the warriors)

-Magnificent armour of B.B., 2x Ro Might, Ro Spellbreaking, Shield.

Pt: 268

Thane (with the warriors)

-B.S.B., MRo Gringni, Ro Slowness.

Pt: 188

40x Warriors (6x7)

-Shields, musician, standard.

pt: 380

10x Thunderers

pt: 120

10x Quarrelers

-GW.

pt:140

22x Hammerers (6x4)

-MRo Valaya, musician, standard.

pt: 403

21x Slayers (7x3)

pt: 252

Grudgethrower

-Ro Penetrating.

Grudgethrower

-Ro penetrating, burning.

pt: 125

Cannon

-Ro Forging.

pt: 145

2x Gyrocopters

Pt: 160

Deployment will be done so that no one of the combat block can be isolated for more than a turn of combat but to keep flexability enough to adapt to flaking moves. The plan to do this is by deploying the warriors and slayers out front of the hammers with enough room inbetween them for the hammers to charge and wheel to join combat. The thunders and quallers will be more flexible, reponding to chaff and opposing combat blocks. The artillery will do what it does and blast away.

The rune lord is set up to deal with any baddies that come his way and add armour piercing to the warriors. I like the magnificent armour of borek beetlebrow. When combined with a shield it offers a consistant 3+ save, if the rune lords foe has str6 attacks he gets a 4+/3++ which is not to shabby, if str5 his protection is somewhat less at 3+/6++  but in conjunction with toughness of 5 makes him very sturdy. Combined with 2x runes of might makes him a slayer of any thing that might threaten his 40 warriors.

My General, just a vanilla combat lord. He is mainly in the army because of estetics, but for 196 points he is not that bad of a deal. This is where I need to digress a bit, my biggist problem with the new book is that they removed the master rune of kragg the grimm, this kills me why did they do this? losing that one rune made our combat lords almost obsolete. sure we can make some sweet weapons but at str4 what good are they?

So what do you all think? I would really like feedback and to hear any thoughts the list might generate. Unfortunatly for me I have been kept way too busy for the last few years and haven't been able to play enough to be able to really develop a solid list. So with that in mind if any one wanted to use the list and let my know how it goes I woud be stoked.

Edited by R. of Penetrating, 17 March 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#2 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

Looks like a great start. I don't like Runelords though, I think they're not worth the extra points over Runesmith. I also feel like the magnificent armour isn't worth the points - you can go a long way with gromril, shield and Ro Stone for only 8 points (and you're already paying for shield). It's also still (marginally) cheaper to go shield, Ro Stone and 2xRo Fortitude, for arguably comparable survivability. If you did that, though, you couldn't take a Ro Spell Breaking, so I'd suggest one of:

78pts: shield, 2xRo Fort, Ro Spell Breaking.

68pts: shield, 1xRo Fort + Ro Stone, Ro Spell Breaking.

Burning might be good on that cannon if you have a few spare points.

I'm not a fan of slayers, but each to their own :)

As an anvil, consider upgrading the shieldwarriors to sheildbeards. Not necessary but might make a difference.

I feel like only 10 each of thunderers and quarrelers might be spreading too thin? 10 GW Quarellers will just get carved up in combat, so it doesn't really make sense to spend the points. Personally I'd go one way or the other instead of both. That gives you 4 good-sized blocks instead of 3 good and 2 small.

#3 R. of Penetrating

R. of Penetrating

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback Taxi.

I see your point on the warriors. longbeards survive better with their greater WS than warriors, and along with armour piercing and +1 from charging they can be quite formidable. In order to make points for the change I dropped the GW quarrelers, this left me points to add shields to my thunderers. The Army feels better alread.

One of my faviorate things about slayers is that a lot of people don't want to fight them and is some cases will deploy to avoide them. My thoughts are that any time you can get your opponent to react to your deployment its good, because they are playing your game then. Normally it takes a large  unit of hammers with a lord to scare people, 21 slayers at pt252 is relitively cheep for such a reaction. they are also the ultimate speed bump being able to hold a unit up for two solid turns maybe more if there is bad rolling, they are toughness 4 afterall.

The Runelord, while yes for the same points you get better magic defence with two runesmits, what you dont get is his high rune allowence allowing him  to bring magic defence and the ability to smash to pieses any thing that my Longbeards will struggle with because of their hand weapons.

I Think i'm going to drop my BSB for a runed up organ gun, I have been reading some good things about the new gun with Ro accuracy and forging. Is this crazy? I'm hoping that being stubborn and having a lord will help pass leadership checks.

So the new list will be

Lord (with the hammers) General

-Shieldberers, GW, Ro Stone

pt: 196

Rune Lord (with the warriors)

-Magnificent armour of B.B., 2x Ro Might, Ro Spellbreaking, Shield.

Pt: 268

35x longbeards  (6x6)

-Shields, musician, standard, Ro slowness

pt: 510

10x Thunderers

-Shields

pt: 130

22x Hammerers (6x4)

-MRo Valaya, musician, standard.

pt: 403

21x Slayers (7x3)

pt: 252

Grudgethrower

-Ro Penetrating.

Grudgethrower

-Ro Penetrating, burning.

pt: 125

Cannon

-Ro Forging.

pt: 145

2x Gyrocopters

Pt: 160

Organ Gun

-Ro Accuracy, Ro Forging

This leaves me with 21 points.  What I like to do is add strollaz to the slayers or maybe drop MRo Valaya and get a second RS with spell breaking? should I add burning to the Runelord? Vanguard on a gyro?

Any thoughts?

Edited by R. of Penetrating, 27 March 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#4 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Tooling up a Runelord for combat is typically ineffective, thanks to their base 2 attacks. That's just a lot of points for mediocre combat ability. You'd be way better off putting those runes on the general as he could actually do something with them. Giving that many points of combat runes to a Runelord is really like putting lipstick on a troll.

I'd also recommend scrapping that Runelord outright. For about the same cost you can take a BSB with the Bettlebrow armor and a Runesmith sporting Stone, Shield, and spellbreaking. That's two heroes, one still pretty tanky. The first time you fail a break test you're going to wish you could have re-rolled it.

Strollaz on the slayers should be a priority to obtain. Vanguard on a gyro is always useful, but can be dropped if you really need that last 20 points.

Valaya is expendable, especially if you get a 2nd runesmith.

Edited by Stymie Jackson, 27 March 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#5 TaxiForBiggins

TaxiForBiggins

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

with the exception of maybe tomb kings, the bsb is the most important model in an army. If you want an OG I reckon you should drop a grudgethrower

Stymie is right, a runelord is never going to be effective in combat. His best use as a CC character is to challenge an enemy tooled up general and buy at least one turn respite for the unit... for this you need defense, which as I outlined isn't too hard to acheive within a runesmith's allowance (if you don't take 2x spellbreaking). eg:

shield, 2xRo Fort, Ro Spell Breaking = 3+ AS, +1T and 5+ ward, parry

shield, 2xRo Iron, RoStone, Ro Spell Breaking = 3+ AS, +1T, +1W, parry
shield, 1xRo Fort, RoStone, Ro Spell Breaking = 2+ AS, +1T, parry
sheild, 1xMRoGromril, RoIron, RoSpellBreaking = 1+AS, +1W, parry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users