• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gadzek

Gadzek

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

Hello, after long time of struggling with myself I came up with army I'd like to play on tournament with. Criticism always appreciated.

Thane

- BSB, Great Weapon;

- RoWarding x3, MRoGromril;

Runesmith

- General, Shield;

- RoSpellbreaking x2, RoStone, RoIron;

Runesmith

- Shield, Fiery Ring of Thori;

- RoSpellbreaking, RoStone;

Cannon

- RoBurning, RoForging;

Organ Gun

- RoAccuracy, RoForging;

Flame Cannon

- RoForging;

25x Hammerers

- FC, MRoValaya;

10x Irondrakes

- FC, Trollhammer Torpedo, RoSlowness x2;

Gyrocopter

Gyrocopter

- Vanguard;

20x Quarrellers

- Standard, Musician, Shields;

20x Longbeards

- FC, Shields, RoStoicism;

Total: 2937/2400 pts.

The plan is to deploy BSB and General in a unit of Hammerers and the Blingsmith in the unit of Longbeards. Irondrakes and Quarrelers should defend warmachines.

My concerns:

- At first I wanted to deploy a Master Engineer to help my Organ Gun hit things, but then I needed to shrink my unit of Hammerers to 21.

- I really wanted to try many things at once: Irondrakes, Gyrocopters, Flame Cannon... It made me drop a Grudge Thrower. And I feel that such army without Gyros simply won't work.

- ETC rules make me choose max two from Spellbreaker/Spelleater/MRoBalance/Anvil. Is it better to take MRoBalance instead of Spelleater maybe?

- Lack of Ward Saves on Runesmiths.

- Should I get some RoPreservation?

#2 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Don't need preservation most likely unless you will be facing lots of undead armies or perhaps DoC (Bloodletters I would think).

Spelleater>Master rune of Balance. MoB averages 3 dice if the runesmith lives all 6 rounds, which may not be possible always. A spellbreaker/eater will probably save you at least that many dispel dice.

At 10 strong, the ID could use more bodies. I'd suggest dropping the champ and trollhammer for 2 more bodies (12 total).

Alternately, drop the ID champ/trollhammer, the hammerer champ and the quarreller champ for 50 points. That then leaves you enough points to bring the Longbards up to 24 strong, so 5x5 with the Runesmith.

I like the Trollhammer, but that unit is too small and you do have a cannon. It does add nice redundancy for shooting in case the cannon whiffs or dies so you can certainly keep it if you want to try it out.

#3 pa11ad1n

pa11ad1n

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

Mro balance is worth 2 dice every time it activates.  One less for them and one more for you.  So that is an average of 6 dice if your runesmiths survives the whole game.  Still too unreliable for my tastes, as is a single 2xspellbreaker.  I would try to double up on them.

Edited by pa11ad1n, 11 March 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#4 landonelf

landonelf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

You currently have 100 points in command, on 150 points of irondrakes... You either need to buff the unit model count up or drop some of the command/slowness runes. I recommend you drop the banner of Vallaya, as I have had pretty meh results with it personally. You can use those points for more irondrake bodies.

I wouldn't worry about rune of preservation. Just deploy characters away from units with KB, and focus fire on them or redirect with gyros. Don't bother with ward saves on Runesmiths either. Champions and proper unit placement should keep them relatively safe. Also, lets not forget they are 3+/6++ with a shield/rune of stone. So they arent exactly chumps!

Remember, a spellbreaker, on average, shuts down 1 magic phase. While master rune of balance, has a 50% chance of reducing a magic phase's potency. I prefer a guaranteed shutdown over a "chance at reducing" anyday.

#5 pa11ad1n

pa11ad1n

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Don't bother with ward saves on Runesmiths either. Champions and proper unit placement should keep them relatively safe. Also, lets not forget they are 3+/6++ with a shield/rune of stone. So they arent exactly chumps!

2+/6++ parry with shieldwall taking it to 5++ when charged.

#6 Gadzek

Gadzek

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Cool, thanks for your responses.

I will trade ID champ/torpedo for two more IDs, but still use MRoValaya - I'm too scared of this danged magic :P

I was thinking about trading 4 Quarrelers for Longbeards alternatively, what do you say about it?

#7 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

I was thinking about trading 4 Quarrelers for Longbeards alternatively, what do you say about it?

It's not a bad idea. The Quarrelers won't be so unwieldy in an 8x2 formation and that lets the Longbeards be more of an anvil.

#8 landonelf

landonelf

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Don't bother with ward saves on Runesmiths either. Champions and proper unit placement should keep them relatively safe. Also, lets not forget they are 3+/6++ with a shield/rune of stone. So they arent exactly chumps!

2+/6++ parry with shieldwall taking it to 5++ when charged.

Right on! I don't know why i put 3+. Was thinking of ironbreakers save for some reason.

-OP

Yea best to not over spend on Runesmith protection. They are tough little cookies for their points, and most opponents would rather take dwarf bodies out of the fight and then struggle vs a 2+/5++ model with 2 wounds thats only worth like 93pts. 

Just make sure to always buy unit champions. They are good insurance vs beefed up characters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2400, etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users