• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cozworth

Cozworth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

long time lurker, just made an account to ask for criticism on a list I'm planning on using in an upcoming tournament:

Lord

shield-bearers

great weapon

RO preservation

RO fortitude

Thane (BSB)

MRO Grungi

Runesmith

RO fire x2

RO spellbreaking

Runesmith

RO Fire x2

RO speed

Thunderers x20

full cmd

Quarrellers x15

vet.

Quarrellers x 16

full cmd

GW

warriors x30

full cmd

SH

GW

Gyro

vanguard

Gyro 80

Ironbreakers x 20

full cmd

RO slowness

organ gun

RO forging

should come to 2395 if my maths is right, I have about 30 hammers, 50/60 HW+SH warriors, 3 or 4 cannons, a grudge thrower, a master engineer and a bolt thrower I can substitute in, and if needs be I'll be able to buy a few (not many, and probably not new) models to make units bigger.

the plan's currently to use the gyros to harry flanks/war machines while the BSB sits in with the warriors, lord with Ironbreakers Runesmiths the Quarrelers (one in each), or one Runesmith can go in with the Thunderers

#2 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'm not a fan of a single rune of Fortitude. I think you end up overpaying for that +1 T. Change Fortitude to Ironx2. You get the +1T AND +1W for those 10 extra points.

Next, the Runesmiths:

The only thing the Runesmiths Firex2 buys you is flaming attack over the Ring of Thori. That's a 15 point difference and you lose the parry save (which is minor). Is the loss of parry and 15 points worth flaming attacks? I'd suggest on one Runesmith you switch to that (and then you can save the points on the rune of speed too to bring the savings to 20).

So now we're at 25 points saved (15 for Switching to Thori, 5 leftover, and 5 from dropping speed).

So the Lord changes take 10 of those and that ends up leaving you with 15 points now. You can then change the IB banner to Slownessx2 with those points.

Finally, drop one champion to get the points for Stone and Shield on the Thori Runesmith. If you can squeeze another 8 points do the same to the other Runesmith.

The over-all plan and army looks fine.

Edited by Stymie Jackson, 11 March 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#3 Lynn

Lynn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

A smith without breaker or eater.

I'd go further and change those up.

They are a force multiplier yes but still try to get a spell breaker to the very least in every smith.

Keeping your plan (breath weapon on both)

I would suggest:

Thori 35 Spellbreaking 25 (60) add Ro Furnace or Passage to make pride happy. (+5 or +10)

Ro Fire x2 50 Spellbreaking 25 (75)

Though personally I'd advice against the second breath attack 50 points for a single breath attack per game is a bit too much.

You could get balance, tank up both and switch the combo (putting Ro furnace on the second one allows the first to get 15 points into defence) etc.

#4 Cozworth

Cozworth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hi guys thanks for the advice, I'm going to take this on board for tomorrow (I have a playtesting game planned), I'm going to take Stymie's advice and see how it performs then make any changes I need to.

#5 Uvatha

Uvatha

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

A Shield on the BSB would be nice too.

#6 Cozworth

Cozworth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

I think that might put me 1 point over, but I'll see what I can do towards that

#7 Cozworth

Cozworth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

had my game today, lost (due to some bad luck and some forgetting of important things)

things to take away from the game:
-gyros are awesome

-if a giant monster outmaneuvers either of my GW units, I don't have anything that can deal with them

-the breath attacks aren't as useful as I'd like them to be (so there's like 85 points I could spend elsewhere)

-Lord on shield kicks ridiculous Test, esp. on a charge

any thoughts on ways I could fix the giant monster problem/spend those 85 points?

#8 Lynn

Lynn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

Gryo's are awesome indeed. Giant monsters need more cannon to face.

A fiery ring is ok since its rather cheap it helps kill a unit with combat resolution.

Glad you had allot of fun. Next game add more gyro's :D

#9 Cozworth

Cozworth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

the issue is the WYSIWYG rule, I don't really have the money at the moment to fund a list featuring more than 2 gyros (I only got away with it today because I knew the dude so he let me proxy one)

#10 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:48 AM

The only real option is arty to deal with monsters if you cannot field Irondrakes. Their ability to reform and shoot lets them address stuff that gets behind the lines.

A sorta option is characters. MR Flight and Might. Dragonslayer. Might work.

But I would add a cannon to pair with the OG. Any changes will have to be paid for from character and core points.

#11 Cozworth

Cozworth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

UPDATE! I got a deal online for some models and (If a conversion/build/thing) I'm planning on doing works out that could up the number of gyrocopters I can field to 3.

Is this worth doing, considering I've already got to add a cannon in somewhere?

#12 The Iron Bear

The Iron Bear

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

3 gyros are solid, great for redirecting, dealing with enemy war machines etc. I wouldn't take more than 3 but 3 is good. I also agree that you could do with a cannon in your list. I'd drop points from core as you seem to be overspending there currently IMHO

#13 Cozworth

Cozworth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I was toying around with it today and I think losing some thunderers might be the best way of doing that, and if I lose the breath weapons (as is my current train of thought) that'll be a fair few points I can spend on a cannon, but then I'd have to find more points for a 3rd Gyro, I'll give it some real effort tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Another thing I'm thinking of doing is dropping the lord on shield for a less expensive option

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tournament, army list, dwarfs, 2400

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users