So this is hopefully this is the beginning of a very fruitful conversation about dwarven artillery.
Let me start by putting my cards on the table.
1) I have two organ guns, two cannons, and a flame cannon, i am trying to determine how/which to run them.
2) I really like a lot of the runes we got in the new book, and the fact that OGs can now take runes.
3) It seems to me that with the new combat intensive rules (like +1 str on the charge, shield wall, potential hatred of everyone, and runesmiths giving armor piercing) melee dwarves are back.
4) I am currently mourning the loss however, of the Organ gun's ballistic skill free style of shooting. BS 3 is a joke, and the OG was once the bane of skirmish, scout and vanguard units. Now the OG is still quite beefy and playable, but in no way ready to adequately protect itself or other warmachines against skirmishing chaff, or flying units simply coming in to pick your warmachines off. Of course you can rune up the OG, but that brings me to point # 4
5) While the warmachines are sexy and good, in trying to run 4-5 pieces of artillery, with the appropriate and necessary runes, the warmachines start to occupy a significant portion of the army's points.
Here is the rune layout i'm considering at the moment.
OG1 - rune of fire, rune of accuracy
OG 2 - rune of accuracy
cannon 1- rune of forging and rune of fire
cannon 2- rune of forging
flame cannon rune of forging, 2x rune of fire (just so it has a unique set of runes with rune of forging)
Now I may be splurging a little, but these are some crazy potent artillery pieces.
They come with a hefty price tag though of 670 points total.
So I guess here are my questions:
1) What runes do you cut out of your artillery mix? Yes, we could give an OG two runes of accuracy... but can we afford to do that? At the same time... do we really want to run a cannon without a rune of accuracy? We lost the engineer upgrade, the ME got nerfed, and OGs have bs 3. So the new book means we NEED runes on our artillery. What runes do we take?
2) If we invest heavily in our artillery, (between 400-700 points) is the best strategy to dedicate more points to protecting the artillery, or to spend the rest of your points on something that will benefit from artillery fire, leaving the artillery pieces to fend (and realistically just die a slow death) for themselves.
3)I think its fair to say that by turn 3 artillery left to its own devices will at least be getting charged or heavily shot at by scouts, vanguard, fast cav, flying, ambushers you freaking name it! So do we just accept this fate, praise Grungi, as we squeeze off a few rounds of shooting and then die in the name of the high king? Or, do we spend some points on a babysitter unit for the machines of war? If so, what unit? How many points do you spend on that unit?
My current thinking for a good babysitter units might be, slayers or, thunderers (though they'ved failed me in the past) iron drakes, quarellers, or a flame cannon. The protectors would need to be relatively cheap, and effective against the lot that you usually see up against your cannons, quick moving things, that are hard to hit with bs shooting.
Not to be rude, but this post is really about artillery. So please don't chime in about gyrocopters or bombers. Also, if you are going to suggest quarllers or thunders, please be sure to mention where you are placing them, and how you intend to use them.
Thanks a lot guys!