79 replies to this topic

#1 Maltbeard

Maltbeard

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

Now i found a message about these strange people on this forum and was just wondering are gnomes actually a warhammer race and in what edition were they released in. Any info will be much appreciated
TAR!!

#2 Durak

Durak

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:33 AM

Taken straight from the Warhammer Fantasy RP rulebook:

"Gnomes are the smaller relatives of Dwarfs; they have a similar cultural background an dspeak their own Dwarvish dialect. If anything, Gnomes are even more short tempered and difficult to get along with than Dwarfs. Like them, they live mosty underground or amongst mountains. Gnomes can be found almost exclusively on the western side of the Worlds Edge Moutnains. Their numbers are few and declining all the time. Some communities survive in the remoter areas of the Isle of Albion, but these cannot be said to constitute anything other than a backward remnant of the race."

Basically they are dwarfs with a T of 2 rather than 4 and an I of 3 rather than 2. That's it, no difference.

#3 Grim Madaxe

Grim Madaxe

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

Gnomes were an actual troop type in 3rd edition and in the combined army list of "Warhammer Armies".

'Course this was back in the good old days of Sappers, portable flame cannon, Hammerers with 2 attacks on their profile and six man stone throwers.

*Wipes nostalgic tear from eye.*

#4 nick huge

nick huge

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:19 PM

Gnomes were awesome. i've been collecting them forever.

#5 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE(nick huge)
Gnomes were awesome. i've been collecting them forever.

How? Where?I'd like to see pics or links ifyou have any.
Are they old OOP models?
I have some(ithink) I got w/ some Slayer I bought. They don't look quite like Dwarfs and they're smaller.

Thanks!

#6 nick huge

nick huge

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(BLOOD AXE)
How? Where?I'd like to see pics or links ifyou have any.!

Nope. Sorry.

QUOTE(BLOOD AXE)
Are they old OOP models?!

Ohhhhh yes. Well old nowadays but I still remember them with great fondness. The wee folk. Bless...

#7 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 01:05 AM

Oh well.....
thanks anyway NICK.

#8 nick huge

nick huge

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

Try eBay mate, there are always a few of the wee folk skulking about on eBay.
But be warned, they haven't changed down these loooong years, they still tend to vanish quickly along with your gold. :wink:

#9 Andy Przybyla

Andy Przybyla

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:37 PM

Stunties who can use magic - Im truly suprised that such heracy is allowed on a dwarf forum.

Tut

(see the long beard in ME coming out already and its only two days)

Sib

#10 Azoth

Azoth

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:53 PM

Funny you mention gnomes...back before the demise of WPS and the ban of Nick, we were in the process of crafting a Gnomish list. It was Darth Cynical, Nick Huge, Jack in the Green, myself, Feanor and a few others (sorry if I can't remember the names, it was awhile ago)

I have subsequently done a little more work on the list, we came up with two distinct gnomish sub-races, forest and mountain (rock). I'll post the list later, when I get home.

#11 Acorn-Anvil

Acorn-Anvil

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:09 AM

The AD&D version of the gnome was not as tough as a dwarf but more magical in terms of illusion magic and some "tinkering" abilities or affinity with devices.

GW probably could not distinguish them enought with Dwarfs and thus drop the race entirely.

AA

#12 Feanor

Feanor

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:53 AM

Azoth I would love to see the list again after the work WE put in. It would be great if WE could get it up and going again as I think that WE were on to something of real value, the sum of our efforts been better than our individual attempts. Great to hear that someone kept hold of it :D , I tried to find the list when the WPS forums shut down back in the wasteland pages but couldn't find hide nor hair of it.

#13 nick huge

nick huge

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 06:14 AM

It doesn't matter which way you cut it... Gnomes are funny. laugh.gif

#14 Maxxev

Maxxev

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

never got round to posting the list Azoth, would have liked to have seen that as i'm starting my gnomish Mordheim warband from Deamonworld 15mm Dwarves

#15 nick huge

nick huge

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

Azoth and Sib joining up over here?
It's a reunion, and Feanor too... :shock:
There's no place like Gnome. tongue.gif
Well chaps I've gone a step further and commissioned an excellent professional sculpter to make ME some Gnome cavalry.
They are going to be mounted on Badgers !! 8)
I've also been collecting old Trish Morrison sculpts from the golden age of gnomes in 1983-85 when Gnomes were part of the Dwarf list.
I'm going to use the excellent small dwarves from the GW LotR range as archers, and the Kazak Guard will substitute very nicely as a formalised Grove Guard.
Essex miniatures models fit really well with the old stuff so I'm using them for the slinger skirmishers.
It's a slow burning project but I'll get there in the end.
It'll probably be finished the same time as my 3000 point Moot mob.

#16 Maxxev

Maxxev

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:56 PM

sorry to bring this up Nick but you realise the last post before mine was in Jul last year........?... did you also know that "magnificent egos" make a gnome mounted on a dog?

named "Baldorf The Brave"

avalible in the UK here (though not cheap)

http://www.urbanmammoth.com/acatalog/

#17 Magni Flamebeard

Magni Flamebeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Grim Madaxe)
'Course this was back in the good old days of Sappers, portable flame cannon, Hammerers with 2 attacks on their profile and six man stone throwers.

*Wipes nostalgic tear from eye.*

Portable flame cannons? HAMMERERS WITH 2 ATTACKS!!! Dam you GW!! How could you change such a thing! Hammerers with two attacks I can't believe GW changed that I want my Hammerers with 2 attacks grumble grumble grumble..... :evil:

#18 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:41 AM

Isnt a portable flame cannon just a warpfire thrower? :roll: Still a dwarfish one's probably more reliable!

#19 Maxxev

Maxxev

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:42 AM

rules for portable flame cannons were included in HE bugmas lament campaign rules, they kik arse..... like a moblie flam cannon with less range... heh heh

#20 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:46 AM

oh, i must've missed it then! Sounded like 4th ed warhammer to ME...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users