Photo

Dwarves That Grow Up In The Empire, What Religion Would They Follow?

dwarf sigmar religion

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bak Ironfist

Bak Ironfist

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

My Question is this. A dwarf that has grown up in the Empire, would they have any draw to pray to or even join the cult of Sigmar?

#2 Gorim Uthersson

Gorim Uthersson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

I think that even though dwarfs that are raised in the Empire aren't "proper dwarfs", they still are holding to such fundamental traditions. Some "low" dwarfs I would guess are faithless, lacking the faith of the ancestors, but "human gods are for human not for dwarfs".

#3 Chase

Chase

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

I agree with Gorim. Following mannling faith seems very improbable for a dwarf. Of course exceptions happen ;). One can imagine, for instance, a greedy dwarf pretending to be a Sigmar follower to do buisness with wealthy Sigmarites ;).

#4 Borian

Borian

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

I find it highly improbable. The culture of ancestor worship is strong in all dwarves, and apart from the ritualized form of worship as seen in different stories over the years (Like the priestess of Valaya of The Dark Beneath The World giving her blessing on the venture to the lower deeps of Karak Eight Peaks as I recall it), the veneration of the ancestors is ingrained in every dwarfs' personality.

Also, I think that the dwarves think of Sigmar as much more human and less like a god than any of the humans he would be living with. The longer lifespans of dwarves ensures that the persons residing in the Empire now are only a few generations removed from the actual events around Sigmars time, while the humans in the villages and towns view the times as ancient days gone by. 

While living among manlings can breed different sentiments and make dwarves engange in peculiar activities and friendships, I don't think any dwarf would ever cast his religion away, since it feels like less of an actual religion and more like a part of the dwarf mentality.

Of course, if you want a dwarf to worship Sigmar or Ulric (or any other God for that matter), I believe it's your world, and you can do what ever you feel like :yes

#5 Gorim Uthersson

Gorim Uthersson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

Also in descriptions of Sigmar Temple for example in Altdorf (warhammer rpg 2ed. ) there is a "shrine" of dwarf ancestors in Sigmars temple. So it is hard to forget about "your" gods even in Sigmar temple;p

#6 Borian

Borian

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

Good point. In addition, many of Sigmars flock are themselves "Dwarf-worshippers" - meaning they venerate dwarves as mythical beings directly related to their own god. 

#7 Rune of Might

Rune of Might

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

well they're not going to worship Sigmar if they new him as just a whelp of a human with a dwarven hammer long before them humans started praising him.

#8 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

Generally agree with the views above - dwarfs aren't likely to forsake the ancestor gods. There could be some extreme circumstances - an ophaned dwarf maybe.

But actually the question wasn't whether an empire dwarf would 'abandon' the ancestors for Sigmar - simply whether they would pray to Sigmar or join the cult? When it comes to that I'd say yes (possibly) they might. Dwarfs worship & pray to a pantheon of gods & in that aspect Sigmar has some parallels in the Empire. I don't think Sigmar would be high on the 'list' but potentially he might get a nod of acknowledgement.    

#9 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

I would say, probably not. I think parents/Longbeards of Dwarfs in the Empire would know the history enought for them to know that Sigmar was a man. Now they would also know the history of their own gods and understand that actual beings can be raise to be gods of a race. So that being said they would probably be more whiling to acknowledge Sigmar as a god and think of the history more like their own just younger. Does that sound contradictory?

#10 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

They would acknowledge Sigmar being a god, because even though he was a man so were the dwarfen ancestor gods, but like others have said they would stick more to their own gods rather than Sigmar. That being said though it is possible a few may say prayers or give offerings to some of the older human gods, Ulric for example who share similarities with their gods.

#11 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

In my mind dwarves don't 'pray' to anyone. I know ancestor worship is the closest thing to religion, and they have temples/shrines, where they do have ceremonies and offerings, but the idea of praying would be too much like begging for a dwarf, who gets what he wants by hard effort. They know that the ancestors are far away enough not to be able to directly intervene, so why ask them for anything? They've got more important things to do!

I can't see dwarves worshipping Sigmar, although they would be respectful of the human practices and temples. And certainly there ain't a chance in hell anyone would get a dwarf to go to church against his will!

#12 Gorim Uthersson

Gorim Uthersson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

There are dwarf priests, and In almost any "dwarf book" there are sentences like "Grungni protect us / Valaya have mercy" so the dwarfs do "pray".

#13 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'm probably borrowing from someone else's fluff, I pick bits I like and file them away. Alright, MY dwarves don't pray then. :D

#14 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'm probably borrowing from someone else's fluff, I pick bits I like and file them away. Alright, MY dwarves don't pray then. :D

You maybe thinking of praying as for example modern prayer in churches e.g. kneeling and reciting prayers. Hmm better hope some of your dwarfs pray, esp those priesst of Gazul who say prayers over the bodies of the dead to protect them esp from necromancers.

#15 Dawi95

Dawi95

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

All dwarfs must show proper respect and veneration of the ancestors, and the ancestor gods in particular. Wherever they're from and whatever their background, only the most dishonourable and lowlife outcast would choose a weak manling god (no more than a couple of dwarf generations old), over the ancestors. Sigmar is worthy of respect for his deeds, but not veneration.

Edited by Dawi95, 12 December 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#16 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

XD No one stands taller than a dwarf! XD

#17 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

All dwarfs must show proper respect and veneration of the ancestors, and the ancestor gods in particular. Wherever they're from and whatever their background, only the most dishonourable and lowlife outcast would choose a weak manling god (no more than a couple of dwarf generations old), over the ancestors. Sigmar is worthy of respect for his deeds, but not veneration.

Hashut?

#18 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

^ Ha'shuttup.

#19 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

and the 3rd brother ..... Huffyhuffy 

#20 kera foehunter

kera foehunter

The Pirate Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

pffffffffffff  where dwarfs we worship our gods..and our God bow to the Goddess Valaya,

Got it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, sigmar, religion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users