Some great work! 

#22 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

@ Lord Alisk - thanks again for stopping by and providing me with your positive feedback, it's very motivational!  Thanks also for the tip with regards to the positioning of the miniatures, I gave the shield a rough try and could see it didn’t quite match-up as well as I would have thought so I’ll bear this in mind when putting everything together.  Cheers!

I think I might work on some Slayers this weekend, as your thread has inspired me to try and put a unit together.  In reference to your striped trouser theme, I came across some Pirate Slayers last night which I didn't realise existed but it looks like Games Workshop have all but discontinued the line, except for the pack of 3 models they sell on the website (although it does appear they have sold out as it won’t update in my basket).  I’ll come back to you for some tips as I think I’ll keep to the basic green trousers on my main Slayers but the striped trousers should look pretty fitting on the pirate models…. 

@ Olidur – thank you for your, starting to be regular, positive comments on my miniatures.  It’s greatly appreciated.

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 02 November 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#23 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yes, the pirate slayers are unfortunately more-or-less discontinued (back when I was a lad, way back in 1998, they brought out a really cool mercenaries army book, with, among other things, pirate slayers. They were splendid, I just wish I'd got some when I had the chance). 

I'm glad that my slayers are somewhat inspirational! Striped trousers are cool, in their way, but my wife is very much of the opinion that they look like pyjamas. One thing I found with the slayers is ranking them up is a pain. I only have a unit of 10, and there is only 1 way to rank them up - and that entailed re-basing some of them. They are cool models, that's for sure, but there are certainly some practical considerations to think about. To be honest though, they are easy to paint, and from looking at your slayer standard bearer (we painted the same model, come to think of it, mine just has a slightly converted flag), you certainly don't need advice from me. 

Anyway, good luck with the dwarf king model. They do make a cool little set. A shame he is so lacklustre in battle, but still...

All best,

David.

#24 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:40 AM

"they are easy to paint . " ?!  All that flesh drives me crazy!  :wallbash:  But, they are fun to paint!  :thumbup:

Have you checked out mine?  I did them recently under "Oridurs Army."

#25 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

"they are easy to paint . " ?!  All that flesh drives me crazy!  :wallbash:  But, they are fun to paint!  :thumbup:

Have you checked out mine?  I did them recently under "Oridurs Army."

Oridur, I've been really slow and working my through The Brewery but I'll definitely have a good read through your thread next....

#26 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Twin-axed Dwarf Giant Slayer Models 3 (variant) and 4 (WIP)

Moving on again, I have painted-up one of the Giant Slayers in the standard slayer boxset, plus managed to get hold of an OOP model (right) off ebay – Giant Slayer 4.  I was dying to get this OOP model painted as the metal looked tarnished and you could still see areas where the paint stripping hadn't quite removed all the excess paint in the recesses. 

These miniatures have been done to, what I would call, a Stage 3 Finish (undercoat, basecoat and initial wash).  Thanks to @AndyM for convincing me to speed things up a bit.  I think I will continue painting ALL my miniatures, form here-on, up to this level in order to progress at a much quicker rate in completing a unit and then undertake the painstaking task of re-applying basecoats, washes, and performing highlights to complete the model to a reasonable tabletop standard.

I particularly like these two models and the detail that has been included in the sculpts (bearing in mind they are just standard unit models).  I tried to see what a difference painting the metals would be between the wet brush technique/1:1:1 wash of black ink: brown ink: water which I used on my Ironbreaker (in evidence on the left slayer) and painting the whole blade silver and then using a black wash (right slayer).  I shouldn't have bothered as it doesn't give the same level of finish and didn't save any time.  Lesson learnt, so a tidy-up needed when this little chap is highlighted. 

If I employ the wetbrush/1:1:1 ink wash mix from here-on, this will give a more realistic look to the blades and general metal areas of all my models.

med_gallery_13160_953_2515631.jpg

med_gallery_13160_953_465649.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 06 November 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#27 Novgord V

Novgord V

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I really like your skintones. They look very natural!

Keep up the good work :)

#28 Lomack

Lomack

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

Yeah your skin especially on the first slayer in page 1 is amazing.
The shield bearers have amazing final tone too
And you haven't painted in 20years????

I need to develop my painting thread and embed pics in the thread the way you do :)

#29 Grimwald the Surly

Grimwald the Surly

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

These slayers are coming along nicely. If your still keen on Long Drongs Slayer pirates, then ebay has them aplenty. I myself count myself lucky that I got a bunch of them a while ago when Storm of Chaos was out. I will get round to painting them one day!

#30 AndyM

AndyM

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Looking great! Really good for the 3 stage process. Add a decent base and these guys will be great on the table top.The good thing with the 'stage 3' finish is that you can go back and add the extra detail if you want to. Maybe on the command figures or other leader types.

For really quick metal work - Black Ink wash the whole model (as the fist thing you do). Once dry just polish the metal parts with wire wool. It's a really good effect and is so quick and easy. Works really well on chaimail in particular as you get a good depth of shading. Of course only works on metal figures!! The trick is to brush / polish lightly with a small piece of the wire wool and build up the pressure on the areas you want to look most polished - like breast plates, helms and weapons.

#31 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

I really like your skintones. They look very natural!
Keep up the good work :)

Thanks! I'm just picking it up as I go along but the two slayers above were done by applying thin layers of Ratskin Flesh (so as not to lose the definition of the sculpt lines in the model) and then slightly watering-down Reikland Fleshshade so the inks held more at the edges and less on the raised areas.

Yeah your skin especially on the first slayer in page 1 is amazing.
The shield bearers have amazing final tone too
And you haven't painted in 20years????

I need to develop my painting thread and embed pics in the thread the way you do :)

Thanks for the compliments. I have no set method for highlighting skin at the moment, it was all done with a bit of trial and error on that model, but glad you like it.

I actually started painting for the first time back in January on a few 40K Blood Angels but these Dwarfs are my first attempt at painting something not wearing red armour! To try and keep it short and sweet, during the summer last year an old university friend mentioned he used to collect 40K and had recently got back into the hobby. He persuaded me to do the same and I decided to start 2013 delving back into Warhammer 40K (although I did buy the slayer standard at the same time!). I experimented on 4 or 5 space marine models to get used to painting and then finally managed to get the look I was after with model 6 (see below) (I promise there will be no more 40K on this thread!). My heart really lies with Warhmmer Fantasy so I have decided to collect an army for each game. Much to his dissatisfaction, I've started painting Dwarfs and neglected my time on the Blood Angels army (currently with one completed Space Marine) but my time will be split more evenly between the two as time goes on.

The Dwarfs are a completely different palette and painting style altogether so it's fun to try and broaden my skills. The colours and washes needed for the Dwarfs are very different to that of the marines so it was an immediate learning curve all over again when I started with my Dwarf army. I think I'm slowly starting to get there with the metals now and looking forward to trying new techniques on other units as my collection grows. As with all my current painted models, I need to get them properly based!!!

med_gallery_13160_953_37626.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 07 November 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#32 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

These slayers are coming along nicely. If your still keen on Long Drongs Slayer pirates, then ebay has them aplenty. I myself count myself lucky that I got a bunch of them a while ago when Storm of Chaos was out. I will get round to painting them one day!

Cheers! Yeah, I've been looking further into the Slayer Pirates and will aim to get hold of a few models before Christmas. I'm currently working on two more slayers this week and really enjoying painting them so I would like to try my hand at a pirate in the coming weeks. Watch this space....

Looking great! Really good for the 3 stage process. Add a decent base and these guys will be great on the table top.The good thing with the 'stage 3' finish is that you can go back and add the extra detail if you want to. Maybe on the command figures or other leader types.

For really quick metal work - Black Ink wash the whole model (as the fist thing you do). Once dry just polish the metal parts with wire wool. It's a really good effect and is so quick and easy. Works really well on chaimail in particular as you get a good depth of shading. Of course only works on metal figures!! The trick is to brush / polish lightly with a small piece of the wire wool and build up the pressure on the areas you want to look most polished - like breast plates, helms and weapons.

Thanks @AndyM. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and not a huge fan of posting WIP photos (as they're not completed to the best of my ability), but atleast this thread can stay updated with more regularity and it's psychologically better for me to watch my army become painted in a shorter space of time. As you say, I can return to the models and complete them further down the line to a reasonable tabletop standard. 2014 will be the start of scenic bases, I've asked Santa for some sand and grass tufts and currently trying to find some cork mats with the perfect thickness (the cork I have for my handful of Blood Angels is far too big and bulky compared to the size of the dwarf models).

Yeah, okay, I'll give that method a try and see how well it works. I'm not in a hurry to complete my army, apart from keeping this thread alive, but tip noted! Thanks for visiting and I'll post some more photos this weekend when I finish up the next batch

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 07 November 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#33 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ungrim Ironfist and a random Slayer model

I was really keen to get my teeth stuck into the Ungrim Ironfist model as I remember this miniature very well from my early days of reading the White Dwarf magazine and now I finally own the miniature in my collection.  Even though my Slayer unit will have green clothing, I decided to keep him in the same colour as the 1993 catalogue.  He will most likely be the main champion of the group so a different colour scheme will help to make him stand out (especially given I will be buying and using a load of slayer champions in the same unit).  I also decided to cut the pole off as it added very little to the model and would clash with the main army standard.

I'm not sure what the official Slayer number is for the other model but I don’t think much to these newer sculpts GW have in the current boxset.  I read that painting brown in the eye balls is a better base for adding white over the top for the eyes - I don’t know if this is true, or is a good method, but this is why he has a brown eye!

N.B Does anyone else find the fit of the dragon head/cape is truly awful on the Ungrim Ironfist model?!  I decided to paint it separately and place it on the model.  The idea of buying Green Stuff and trying to fill/mould the gap would just look worse in my opinion…

med_gallery_13160_953_2333528.jpg

med_gallery_13160_953_714747.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 09 November 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#34 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

Very nice (as always), and thanks for sharing. 

Great tip on the eye undercoat - I'd be curious to see how it works (I've read that a dark brown undercoat is the way to go, but I've never tried/seen it - it seems an excellent idea though).

I find with the current slayers that they are too muscle-bound really. One thing I really like with the Marauder/1993 slayers is that most of them look like 'normal' dwarfs who've suffered shame, and gone a bit mad. All of the current ones just look too dangerous really. I really liked that for the older ones the higher ranked slayers looked seriously dangerous killing machines, but the older ones like a normal dwarf with a death wish - it seemed much more narratively sensible, really.

I'm glad to see Ungrim as he was in 1993. Brings back memories!

Cheers,

David.

#35 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

David,

Thanks for the comments and regularly following / posting feedback on this thread.  I'm glad to see you're just as nostalgic as me with the old Dwarfs!  I'm trying to get hold of the 90s' Troll Slayer models but recently acquired a Dragon and Daemon slayer off ebay to satisfy my cravings in the meantime.  It may be a few days before they get here so I'll kill some time with the Ironbreakers I have fresh from GW - I think I'll try to prep and undercoat them this weekend and do a little bit each night to get them finished by this time next week.

I hope all goes well with your painting and those Santons don't hinder your progress too much (that sounds like a serious annual commitment you have got yourself into there!)

#36 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Ironbreaker Standard and Musician (WIP)

A pattern is starting to emerge here, painting miniatures in batches of two is just right to use the same palette and make the most of drying times between models.  I feel if I paint more than two at a time, the quality will start to slip, so here we have x2 members of the Ironbreakers’ command troop (undercoat, basecoat and wash).

Nothing great in terms of painting skills here as they're 90% armour miniatures, and only finished to a basic standard, but I found a pure Agrax Earthshade wash on the standards’ anvil was too heavy and the 1:1:1 black ink:brown ink:water mix I use on the normal metal areas looked more realistic on the musicians’ horn (it’s just a shame the light levels weren't great when taking the pictures to reflect this).

My OOP Daemon and Dragon Slayer miniatures have arrived this week so they’re next on the agenda…

med_gallery_13160_953_365936.jpg

med_gallery_13160_953_2254373.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 21 November 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#37 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

Great start!

#38 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Great start!

Thanks Oridur!  Just slowing learning the ropes as I go and can't believe how much I'm enjoying painting the models.  It's a shame I've left it this long to get back into the hobby.

Your female dwarf unit is coming along very nicely by the way, I'm really looking forward to seeing the unit finished and photographed for the monthly competition.  I hope you're on target for completion next week?

#39 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Dwarf Daemon Slayer 2 and Dwarf Lord with Pistol (WIP)

Over the last 2-3 weeks, I’ve managed to get hold of an OOP Daemon Slayer 2 miniature which I was very keen to get my hands on. I was going to leave him for a while, whilst I experimented on the more standard unit models, but he just seemed too good not to paint, so here is, together with a Dwarf Lord with Pistol. The guys at Games Workshop mentioned they’d only recently discontinued the Daemon Slayer and a few metal Warmachines which makes me wish I’d started collecting a few months earlier. D’oh!

In regards to undercoats, both were primed in black. The photograph doesn’t quite capture the colours as well as it could but I think I will always use white undercoats from now on as you require less paint for the basecoat colours to stand out (retaining more of the detail of the sculpt) and I personally feel the brighter colours will look better on the tabletop and make the individual units stand out more. I guess it depends on what finish you want to end up with but I’m looking more for a 50:50 balance of cartoon to realism and feel the white undercoats give a better finish and life to the models. I used white undercoats on the two twin-axed Slayers and Ungrim Ironfist/random slayer models which I painted earlier in the month and feel these do look better when stood next to these miniatures. Another lesson learnt!

The Dwarf Lord is not exactly defined as a Slayer but I followed the colour scheme on the GW website and he looks like an honorary member of the team. I’m not looking forward to completing his cloak; I think I already have an aversion to them as they look very easy to mess-up when applying highlights…

med_gallery_13160_953_178559.jpg
med_gallery_13160_953_2138669.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 24 November 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#40 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Beautiful paintjobs! I must say, i like the black undercoated ones better, but it might be more due to photography than the actual painting...

I make a habit of messing up cloaks myself, so I can sympathise there :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oop, metal, dwarf ironbreaker, dwarf slayer, dwarf longbeard, dwarf thunderer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users