Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

sml_gallery_13160_953_26648.jpg

Hello All,

In a nutshell, I collected miniatures when I was younger and stopped as soon as I hit my teenage years. I'm now back after a 20 year break and looking to collect an army of the old 80's/early 90's models - as per the 1993 Dwarf Armies book.

I've started the brush working with a Slayer Standard Bearer, bought off ebay, and looking forward to refining my skills as the months and army progresses.

med_gallery_13160_953_331398.jpg
med_gallery_13160_953_817613.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 16 December 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#2 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Great someone else to bump up the price of OOP dwarfs !!!

Welcome to Bugman's.

I think you'll find several members with the same story as your own (myself included). The question is did you manage to keep anything from first time round or is it a case of Ebay here I come ?

Oh and finally really liking the look of that slayer, doesn't look like there be much need of refining. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see more.

#3 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Dazza,

Thanks for the quick welcome message and feedback.  Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to be another one of those ebayers bidding for the nostalgic models and hiking the prices even further.  The cost of some individual figures on there is pretty eye watering so I'll start with the cheaper stuff and work my way up to the rarer sculpts (looking for some bargains on the way).  

In regards to miniatures purchased the first time around, I actually didn't collect any Dwarfs at all.  I started to collect an Empire army, with the intention of a Dwarf alliance, but never got that far.  I also had a ton of Space Marines, Squats and Space Orks but my heart lies with Warhammer Fantasy.  I think it's the total variance of models produced for the Dwarf line which has made me want to start collecting them and the fact The Empire is pretty much all plastic for their current range - which leads me onto my next post:

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 26 October 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#4 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Baldurs’ Dwarf Throng Begins!

Since painting my Slayer Standard last weekend, I have been on the Games Workshop website and obtained several boxes of Slayers, Ironbreakers, Hammerers and Lords/Heroes (before the metal lines sell out).  I’ve also had a little poke around on ebay and found an occasional OOP miniature which was going for a sensible price. 

The rather large brown box has arrived on my doorstep this morning and I will now attack a model over the weekend and post the finished results by Sunday evening/Monday morning (fingers crossed).

#5 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

Welcome! That slayer looks fantastic!

Don't give up on the old models you can still get deals if you are diligent...also watch the market place here.

I look forward to seeing more!

Blue

#6 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

@Blue - wow, thanks very much for the positive comments already, this is the sort of motivation which will keep this feed going.. 

I've just finished undercoating one of the new miniatures as we speak so more on the way very soon...

#7 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

That is a beautifully painted slayer model - many thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum.

And, I too seem to be in a similar situation - stopped gaming in my teens, picked up again a decade or so later. I just find it very relaxing, to be honest (I spend a lot more time painting than gaming, you see). And I too am a bit iffy about the new(ish) plastics (though I do have a load of them, I'm just not keen on them). The '90s metals are just splendid! You have great taste, it seems.

All best,

David.

#8 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Welcome to the vintage club and welcome to the brewery!

It's a great start indeed. Any thoughts on the bases yet?

#9 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

@ Lord Alisk - thanks for the comments and feedback.  I agree, I found painting this miniature so therapeutic and hours passed in a matter of minutes.  It's kind of like a form of meditation (although my wife thinks it's very sad)

@ Darkblade - cheers.  I don't currently have the materials to do the bases yet but I was thinking that each dwarf could be placed on a grey rock, with mud floor and grass tufts.  Maybe a tad too generic/common?  Any tips or examples of other styles of bases which may look better would be greatly appreciated....

All - thank you for the welcome messages and positive remarks.  I'm hoping to keep this thread updated on a weekly basis, in the run up to Christmas, so it should make for a regular bit of reading.  I'll check out some of your blogs/threads tonight as a bit of light reading and see what you have all been up to.

As a quick update, I've spent the majority of the day painting and have just finished a final wash of the model before hanging up my brushes for the evening.  Highlights scheduled for tomorrow and hopefully some pictures by lunchtime.

#10 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

I think my wife kind of likes me painting models, or rather, she sees it as a bit like knitting or embroidery (which she really enjoys), but for boys. At present, she's got me painting santons for Christmas, which she strongly approves of - maybe if you dabbled in making nice Christmas decorations she'd approve more?

Mind you, I think my wife is (pleasantly!) biased - her father was really into fishing, and just vanished down to the carp lake every weekend - at least a gamer husband is in most of the time.

#11 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

Welcome Baldur!

Join the "old dwarf club."  I've collected dwarf minis for years, but just discovered the game recently.  Lot of oop and other brands (Grenadier for example.)

Those of us who started in metal, prefer metal it seems.  Love the slayer!  Great detail.  Planning on adding tattoos?

#12 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

Yes same here  I love your work and colours - really a very good job- I love my 'Antiques' - matches my age - started late and do love the old faces a lot, have a 'uge collection but mine are for painting like all the others posting here. Have over 1200 painted at present about 2/3 metal.

I use my plastics for visiting games as they get less scratches.

Currently working on the finish of my orc and goblin army ( need something for my dwarves to eadbut

also working in 28mm historics and doing 48 Montrose scots and a unit of ecw dwarves

Edited by Fanai Glimmerclaw, 27 October 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#13 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

@ Lord Alisk - I never thought about trying to transfer my skills to practical uses in the home.  Thanks for the tip, I'll bear the Christmas decorations in mind.  I also agree with you, I could be out of the house for hours with other hobbies but, atleast by painting, I'm only about 20 feet away from the good wife..

@ Oridur - thanks for the comments.  I've never actually played the game properly but hoping to learn once I have enough troops to form an army.  I think I will be sticking to the Ciatdel/Marauder lines for the time being.  Tattoos for Slayers?  Is this the norm?  I need to look further into this but will probably add them at the end once I've decided on a theme.

@ Fanni Glimmerclaw - thanks.  It appears there's alot of us here who started and have returned to the hobby with metal preferences.  I would probably do the same and try to play with the plastic models as I already feel a bit reluctant to want to handle the miniatures too much incase of wear to the paintwork..

I haven't given a thought to how many miniatures I will collect but I was hoping to gain all individual models and have atleast 20 troops per unit.  Your army sounds incredibly impressive and kudos for being able to paint as many as you have, I dread to think how long that must have taken you?!  I know I've only just started to collect Dwarfs but I would also like to collect an opposition army in the form of Skaven.  I have an old White Dwarf magazine (137) with a huge Skaven army fighting the Bretonnians and I really like how this army looks - with a completely different palette to the Dwarfs, so this may be in the agenda further down the line...

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 27 October 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#14 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Dwarf Ironbreaker

So, here we have my second Dwarf mini in the form of an Ironbreaker.  I initially thought this model would only take a couple of hours, as he was covered in 90% armour, but how wrong could I be?!  Trying to get a balance of wet brushing, wash, and then progressive highlights took ages.  I appreciate this isn't the hardest of models to paint but I’m quite happy with the overall finish.  I'm not going to say how early I was up this morning to get this chap finished but family commitments are calling today.

N.B.  Just to stay fresh, I think I’ll vary my painting across different troop choices so it doesn’t become too repetitive with the same palette/painting style constantly in use. 

med_gallery_13160_953_1918241.jpg

med_gallery_13160_953_484030.jpg

med_gallery_13160_953_994480.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 07 November 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#15 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

Very nice!

#16 Grimwald the Surly

Grimwald the Surly

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Very clean and neat painting style. Great start!

#17 AndyM

AndyM

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Nice work Baldur - the slayer and Iron Breaker are excellent. Your comment on the armour made me laugh. I think you may have over thought the process when painting the armour! It looks good, but would you want to do the same another 19+ times!!?

Simple but effective would be - base coat the armour with chainmail and then gold / copper / brass for the runes / details. Wash the whole model in earth shade. When the first wash is dry; wash some of the deeper recesses and chainmail parts with nuln oil. This gives you the basic tones which you then highlight once with the original colours and then add an additional lighter highlight to the most exposed edges. This is effective and really quick and easy for a mostly armoured model.

Keep up the great work though. These are looking good!!

#18 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

@ Oridur - thank you 

@ Grimwald The Surly - thanks.  Just looking at your profile image, I've bought that shieldbearer boxset from GW and really didn't like the King model supplied.  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one and will most likely do the same with a Lord or OOP model.  It's good to see what it looks like in practice.

@ AndyM - cheers and thanks for the painting tips.  Having only painted two models, I would like to think I could continue at the same rate/painting standard, but I agree that it will take forever to get an army completed at this rate.  I may just stick to an undercoat, basecoat and wash to start rolling these models out quicker, and then play around with highlights once the unit is painted to a basic tabletop standard.  I think you've convinced me. :thumbup:   

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 29 October 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#19 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Dwarf King Alrik and Shieldbearers

A couple of late nights spent painting but I'm determined to post a new model every week!  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not a fan of the main model supplied with this kit, but the shieldbearers are great, so I have just done a straight forward copy of the colour scheme GW use on the website and then look to add the shield once the models are properly based.  In all honesty, I actually made a bit of a mess of the shield and over did the washes.  It ended up looking very thick and muddy in all the recesses and didn't achieve the look I was after.  I've since read Dettol and one of the Fairy cleaning sprays are effective for stripping.  Anyone with first-hand knowledge of using these? 

In terms of the models themselves, a lot was learnt the hard way with these two.  I think I got the paint a bit thick when doing the highlights on the right shieldbearer, and I struggled like mad to get his eyes looking vaguely realistic.  Painting the eyes is so difficult, I need a lot more practice at this!  In my opinion, his right eye is still a bit big but I’ll end up causing more harm than good if I try to redo it, so best to leave well alone at this stage.

The shieldbearer on the left still needs a few highlights to finish him off bit I’ll complete the entire model properly once the shield has been rectified from its’ current state.  I've lost a bit of love with this kit and will return to it once the shield is right and I'm in a better frame of mind...

med_gallery_13160_953_1017533.jpg
med_gallery_13160_953_972520.jpg

Edited by Baldur son of Ægir, 24 November 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#20 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

I really like these (I'm painting the same thing at present, with a the forgeworld dwarf lord on top - hopefully finished soon!). I think you've done a really great job on them, they are beautifully painted (and the eyes are great!). 

One thing - I found with my shield bearers that the right one needed to be glued as far right as possible on his base, and the left one as far left as possible on his so that when the shield is glued on the two bases can be glued together neatly (and so rank up neatly with the unit). Maybe your bases are a millimetre different to mine, so maybe they'll all come together neatly at the end. It's just if they need to be moved on the base, it would be easier to do it now. 

Anyway, these are really great, and I'm quite envious of them. Great work, and thanks for sharing once again,

All best,

David.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oop, metal, dwarf ironbreaker, dwarf slayer, dwarf longbeard, dwarf thunderer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users