3750 replies to this topic

#3241 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Picture doesn't work for me. It syas the pic has eother been moved or deleted.

Any one able to repost it?

#3242 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

It looks very convincing. I agree that the artwork choice isn't the best, but the details appear genuine.

1. The Warhammer Armies red box is slightly transparent

2. The slayer's mane goes overtop the red box, like elements of other Army Book covers

3. The glare along the lower right of the cover, due to the binding and the (presumably) glossy cover

It might be the least amount of detail for a cover, when compared to the others, as a group (http://www.games-wor...GameStyle=books)

But, it looks like the slayer is in a snowstorm, so maybe lack of detail is a given.

#3243 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, that slayer cover is awful! I'd have expected it to be the first one in the video, if it is any of the ones we've seen. Personally I'd like to stick to the action-packed covers of past books, but it seems the current vogue is for the depiction of single heroes with vague background scenery.

Tell me about it. I still love and cherish the older stuff. Remember the Space Marine book cover showing a last stand of Crimson Fist marines? Classic. Each book after got progessively worse.

Heck, I like the old Dawi book with Thorgun and his boys carrying his throne fighting gobbos. The 'current' book (about to be old) is pretty lousy in comparison. Messy art, not clean. It's like bad modern art.

Well, if that's the biggest complaint I have about the new book I'll still be pretty happy overall!

#3244 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

gallery_13785_976_291869.jpg

NOTE: I replaced the screen capture type image with the real JPG, downloaded from here:

http://s324.photobuc...c52429.jpg.html

Edited by evanger, 04 February 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#3245 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Anyone with photoshop detection skills able to chime in on the veracity of the cover art?

Hmmm... Look at the corners of the book. It looks worn. Not sure if my own hopes that this is not the cover are basing me, but that doesn't look like a new army book...

Edited by Montegue, 04 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#3246 thormon

thormon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

Anyone with photoshop detection skills able to chime in on the veracity of the cover art?

EXIF data doesn't say camera type at all. Mentions the name of the 'author' of that picture though.

#3247 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

If this is the new cover I can live with it.

#3248 Thyphs

Thyphs

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hmmm... Look at the corners of the book. It looks worn. Not sure if my own hopes that this is not the cover are basing me, but that doesn't look like a new army book...

The condition also raised an eyebrow....but what makes me think it is real, is where would he get the artwork from?

I mean it looks like the same vein as has currently been released (empire springs to mind) if its a hoax, its very elaborate and not worth the trouble tbh

#3249 Kal

Kal

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 30 posts

the axes look weird

#3250 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Here's something suspicious:

under the "origin" info for the original jpeg it says:

Date Taken: 2/4/2014 4:40 PM (based on this being posted to Warseer at 8:07 AM CST, this suggests the person is in the same time zone as Moscow)

more compelling:

Program name: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)

#3251 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

I'd expect more regular letter spacing than that. It would also be helpful to compare the overlap of the W and A with that on the warriors book for consistency, but I can't find a good enough picture. One thing to note is that all titles so far have been fully justified in the red box, and ours will have the shortest title, so may result in some slightly odd formatting to make it look right. All in all, it's difficult to tell!

#3252 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Another thing to keep in mind concerning the cover: if this is real, then it is likely that the main character in the image has a gloss coating over just him (the rest of the cover is more matte). This could cause the colors to look washed out if there is glare in the lighting scheme.

Finally, I have to say this cover is growing on me.

It's at least a very good fake!

Edited by evanger, 04 February 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#3253 thormon

thormon

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

XMP data of the picture has 4 document ancestors. Those denote cope and paste operations.

Anyway, for those interested in doing the whole photoforensics: http://www.hackerfac...2013/05/23.html

#3254 BLOOD AXE

BLOOD AXE

Dwarf Of Legend

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Id be surprised if a Slayer is on the front cover. Id expect a heavily armored dwarf, a Clansman or Lord.

Why show only the cover? Why not the index or something?

#3255 evanger

evanger

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

XMP data of the picture has 4 document ancestors. Those denote cope and paste operations.
Anyway, for those interested in doing the whole photoforensics: http://www.hackerfac...2013/05/23.html

Nice! Must be a good quality fake, then.

Well done, thorman, and nice try, fraudster!

#3256 Stymie Jackson

Stymie Jackson

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Busted.

And Dawi everywhere breath a sigh of relief.

#3257 Karak Asaheim

Karak Asaheim

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Yeah i'm with most people on this, odd that it's a slayer, but that's so much work to put into doing a fake. The lighting and shading lends towards it seeming real, but anyone with enough skill to put together a picture like that could probably manage to fake those features. I'll still buy it regardless, though if the limited edition one is amazing by comparison I might have my hand forced.

#3258 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Mhm, that's not as bad as I was hearing everyone say :P Not that it matters if it's a fake. Maybe he used photoshop to touch up the picture (glares or whatever), but the book looks too worn for it to be new.

#3259 Helgar Phoenix Slayer

Helgar Phoenix Slayer

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

I like it myself. I think the leaked release schedule said it could only be ordered on Saturday, so this image must come from a fairly early review copy. Going to save it quickly before gw has it removed.

#3260 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Apparently there was another version of this picture (the one in the link that was deleted), where you could still see "orcs and goblins" faded in the background of the titlebox. That one was no doubt deleted to replace it with one that fixed that mistake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users