#1 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hi,

I just started playing Warhammer in april, and it was pretty clear I wanted Dwarves for my first army. It's still very incomplete, and most units are stil WIP. The throng story is also a WIP I guess :).

So here it is, I'll start with the finished units:

IMG_1320_zpsc7e4857c.jpg

My friend who thaught me Warhammer also gave me the Dwarf half of his BfSP box, which boosted my army from 16 warriors to something almost significant.

So here are the thunderers. Yeah, they're purple. I wanted to kind of align them with handgun dwarfs from a comic I plan to make.

Sautwaeter.jpg

Apparently I didn't bother to look at the picture again before painting. There is actually very little purple about them :s.

On to the bigger gun:

IMG_1323_zps18455605.jpg

Also purple. In the setting of the comic, only one dwarf clan possesses the secret of making gunpowder. So all the firepower comes from the same grim region around a volcano, named Eldberg. All the dwarves there are pretty depressed. You don't care, so about the model: I just stuck some shields and runic stuff on the BFSP cannon, the book, dragon heads and the orc head are from an AoW Berserker box.

IMG_1325_zps39a584e9.jpg

I hate it when people just put random runes, so these runes have meaning. It's a fairly simple instruction manual in elder futhark.

For slayers I use AoW Berserkers, beautiful models, hope my painting does them honour.

IMG_1318_zpsc190c963.jpg

I thought giving them all orange hair would be boring, but this may have turned out a little too chaotic...

Banner is from GW Warriors.IMG_1319_zpse62fb915.jpg

And a little close-up:

IMG_1322_zps68edbfbf.jpg

Next unit is half finished: the BFSP models still need some highlighting, the others (with sand on their bases) are done.

IMG_1313_zpsda64f446.jpg

I guess the story will end up being something about how the anvil clan went to war and here and there some other Dwarves joined the fun...

The colors are not because I'm from Belgium, they just seem like a cool combination and good for a dwarf army.

My first warrior box, I made half with HW and shields, and half with GW. The shielded ones are the odd ducks in the above unit. The others are below, now reinforced by two unpainted warriors from my next box:

IMG_1315_zpsffad49bc.jpg

They are probably still gonna get shields.

The text on the cardboard trey says "there are many like it but". I guess you can figure out what it says around both corners. I prefer using futhark runes because it took me over a year to learn them, so I'm not going to get into the warhammer runes, except for the army logo: apparently my first name can be spelled with just two runes, so there.

Next up are the first seven members of what will become a 30 strong Longbeard Ranger horde, led by the Skull Pass Thane:

IMG_1304_zps60d6aaf2.jpg

Thought it'd be cool to give them masks for being longbeards, and shields for not getting shot, and backpacks (from the miners) for being rangers, and some of them got extra axes for throwing.

IMG_1306_zps94787278.jpg

Then: miners.

IMG_1331_zpsa8772356.jpg

8 from BFSP, 2 from a miner box. With steamdrill, because the first time I used them, they never came to the surface. Don't know what I'll do with the remaining 8 yet... Mainly bought the box to do what everybody seems to do: Mine Cart Anvil of Doom!

IMG_1308_zpsc0652905.jpg

The runes are carved in a movement tray and should be more visible when painted (I marked them first in black ink, then changed my mind, wrote the new runes with red ink, then stupidly carved the black ones anyway, it now says: "with one blow my magic will grant victory", then I ran out of room...

Some shields and other stuff to cover up the rough areas.

IMG_1310_zps2c680e84.jpg

Anvil guard are pretty straight forward warriors, they will get tiny thunderer shields when my battalion box finally arrives, also, three mini-shields will serve as runes to strike upon the anvil.

IMG_1312_zpsa3095076.jpg

The runesmith has the body of a miner, head of a warrior champ, miner arms with the detonation device as hammer (srsly, when I opened the box I first thought it was a very intricate hammer). Some runes are stuck on his shoulders, and the braid is from the AoW Berserker box.

There, that's what I have so far. Will update when I make some progress.

Further plans:

-when my battalion box finally arrives (trouble with payment means I'm waiting for over a month by now), I will complete the LB horde, 16 thunderers will be fun, I'll have an extra cannon and build an organ gun with a mine cart.

-I plan to get 20 CD Infernal Guards + 3 command, and use them as ironbreakers, because the actual models are really expensive and not all that cool imo. Two leftover models (I want a unit of 20) might get converted to shieldbearers.

-Gonna get me 20 pathfinders from AoW and convert one to Josef Bugman.

-I was thinking about scratch building a bolt thrower, but I'm not sure that's realistic.

-I'm doubting if Hammerers are better than Ironbreakers. They seem less tough, but I haven't played with them yet...

I'm curious what you guys think :)

Edited by Helblindi, 15 January 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#2 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

Interesting color scheme, really like the banner w/ the great weapon warriors.

#3 Novgord V

Novgord V

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

You have made a very nice start! I really like the Slayers and different hare colors.

And some nice conversions to I must admit :flower:

#4 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thank you! :) I really love converting. Don't think I'll be able to make any unit without at least some minor conversions.

I actually wanted to make some GW warriors swinging their axe over their head, but there's no way to fit the free left arm from the warriorsprue to the hand of the GW. Any ideas how I can do this without green stuff? (In time, Im gonna have to buy me some green stuff anyway)

#5 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hi again, just got my battalion box two days ago, so I've had some more fun putting stuff together. Also got a grudge thrower. Thought it'd be funny if it threw goblins around.

IMG_1343_zps90042d20.jpg

Next up: the boring (i.e. not or barely converted stuff):

Some more thunderers. I've been reading some stuff on dwarf tactics and I'm not sure atm if thunderers need a CG, but it looks more awesome this way, so I made them anyway.

IMG_1346_zps68815a64.jpg

The battalion box allows for 16 thunderers or quarrelers. I made ten of both with some warrior bodies I had left). Same story on the CG:

IMG_1347_zpsb09192f3.jpg

I was gonna take a pic of the unconverted organ gun (I saw pix of a conversion with the four barrels in a square formations just after I put this together :( ) but then a piece broke off and I didn't bother anymore.

With the leftover cannon barrel and the obligatory mine cart, I made a convertable cannon/flame cannon. First experiment with magnetised part.

What I've learned:

-however small the magnets are, and however hollow the parts may be where you put your magnets, it still sticks out a bit

-wait a really long time to let the glue dry before you assemble

-no matter how much you think about it, there will always be at least one magnet oriented the wrong way.

IMG_1334_zps844c7f32.jpg

For a cannon, I just put some shields over the magnets. The big shield in the first pic has an akward angle because the magnet below, on the mine cart, is oriented the wrong way, will need to fix that.

IMG_1335_zpscc3cdacf.jpg

IMG_1337_zpsbd8e8e15.jpg

For the flame cannon, there are barrels and dragon heads: (again akward position of the barrel)

IMG_1339_zps8320e043.jpg

IMG_1342_zpsa1b78331.jpg

As you can see, I also have some fixing to do on the dragon heads. But all in all, the magnet experiment turned out slightly better than expected.

Next up, a gyrocopter stand-in.  I saw some pics of a dwarf thane with a Thor-hammer that allowed him to fly and shoot lightning, from wonkobaggins. Thread is here: http://warhammer.org...php?f=4&t=64060

I was thinking about something similar, when I saw the bullet-trolley in the cannon-sprue, and thought it looked way too much like a jet pack to not use it (strangely, noone seems to have done this before?). So here's my gyro stand-in. For fire-power I gave him some miner drills with the tips cut off:

IMG_1332_zps65e81f8b.jpg

IMG_1333_zps6098e542.jpg

Still very much WIP obviously. I'm thinking of making tubes from the cannons to the jet-pack. And the face is all messy because his mask came off. It will be put back. Thinking about how to base this guy...

And lastly: got the tiny shields so I finished up the anvil and guards:

IMG_1344_zps01270c54.jpg

Next up: finish my ranger horde and paint everything...

#6 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'm totally swiping your cannon conversion. Way to be creative with your resources. I love the gyro counts as.

#7 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:56 AM

I'm honoured :D thank you

#8 Craze_b0i

Craze_b0i

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

Nice ideas with the cannons and anvil. Always good to see this type of creativity. :)

#9 ardyer

ardyer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Where is that caged gobilin/snotling from? Awesome idea.

#10 Brodir Redhand

Brodir Redhand

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Where is that caged gobilin/snotling from? Awesome idea.

Think he is a miner's  "canary" , bad gas detector, from the BfSP box.

BR

#11 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Thank you for the kind comments :)

Yes, the goblin is from the miner box, although I hadn't realised he'd be used as gas detector. You just made my day, Brodir :D

#12 Brodir Redhand

Brodir Redhand

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

Thank you for the kind comments :)

Yes, the goblin is from the miner box, although I hadn't realised he'd be used as gas detector. You just made my day, Brodir :D

Yeah...Makes me smile.

BR

#13 Novgord V

Novgord V

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Again some nice conversions :)

Have you thought about adding Pavise's to you thunderers?

#14 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Might be a good idea. I would give them shields anyway, maybe I'll look into the pavises. Thx for the idea :)

#15 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Another small update:

First off, these guys got highlighted and got some sand on their bases. For now, I consider them finished. Some day I'll add bits of grass and put some sand and grass on the tray as well, but can't be bothered right now when I have rangers to paint :)

IMG_1374_zps0f293257.jpg

Then I painted one ranger as a test model. I wanted to paint some more leadbelcher on the shield, to show more of the damage it has taken on the many journeys, but only thought of it after I'd already sealed the model, so next time, I guess.

This was also a first experiment with painting over sand, and I guess it looks better. Also, it won't leave sand everywhere after a battle.

IMG_1353_zpse6331c79.jpg

IMG_1356_zps74f1817d.jpg

IMG_1354_zpsd1a33d27.jpg

Next up is the jetpack dorf, still looking for a good name for him. I'm building some scaffolding to hold him up. After he's painted, I'll glue some cotton onto the scaffolding so it's basically a column of smoke. (hope it will work out...)

IMG_1359_zpsa812ab59.jpg

IMG_1361_zps9f194261.jpg

Here, have a rediculous BSB :D

IMG_1362_zps5a5d8a37.jpg

Backside:

IMG_1364_zpsa796712a.jpg

I put some wheels under my grudgethrower, because how else will he get to the battlefield? Even dwarfs wouldn't carry something like that for miles and miles on a campaign.

IMG_1367_zpsb5cc70b4.jpg

IMG_1368_zps42337288.jpg

Unfortunately, after doing this and being pretty pleased with myself, I noticed one of the crewmen is pulling a lever that would've fit perfectly if I hadn't put any wheels under the machine :s So I'm gonna have to build a platform or something for the little dude.

IMG_1370_zpsf6a40d7d.jpg

And lastly, I put some tubes on the flame cannon barrels (notice that the jetpack dwarf also got tubes)

IMG_1371_zpsb8c86ef6.jpg

#16 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

That stonethrower on wheels is just brilliant. Awesome work there.

#17 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

I really like all your conversions. Strong Work.

#18 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for the nice comments :) though I have some sad news: the magnets kept on failing, so I just gave up on them and made it a permanent flame cannon.

I got some inspiration from this pic I found on the webs:

flamecannon_zps1d804347.jpg

I'd like to give proper credit, but I forgot where I found it, and can't find it back. So if anyone knows who made this, pls let me know.

So this is my take on it:

IMG_1471_zps708bc378.jpg

Meanwhile, I've been to Crisis in Antwerp, and bought another cannon +  the whole dwarf set from the BFSP-box again, so I'll not be wanting for cannons :)

Next up, this guy got painted and the cotton worked surprisingly well, I think.

IMG_1465_zps65e0ac57.jpg

The paintjob itself was a bit rushed, and it shows. So next time he breaks of his column of smoke, he gets some retouches.

Then, I also painted the anvil and the runesmith. In the back, you can see the foot of the smoke column:

IMG_1466_zpsa3baeb6d.jpg

Anvil guards are stil WIP.

The LB Rangers just keep finding more recruits. I made a unit filler which takes 8 bases, so I added two soldiers to make either a unit of 40 strong, or two units of 20. 8 guys have meanwhile received some paint.

IMG_1461_zps9d834581.jpg

And to conclude, a helldigger:

IMG_1468_zpsed00826a.jpg

IMG_1469_zps9a27d46d.jpg

I simply cannot resist the coolness of Chaos Dwarves, so I'm working on a fluff where some Dwarf outcasts reconcile with a group of CDs and start a hold together. I still plan on fitting everything into the regular dwarf rules. Not much a fan of magic. So this is my first GS project: a CD miner.

Future plans:

I still need to paint:

-20 quareller rangers (AoW pathfinders, they are very beautiful models, but the plastic is different from GW models, and glueing them is not so easy, I ended up using superglue

-10 quarellers

-2x 10 thunderers

-the grudgethrower

-2 cannons

-flame cannon

-10 miners

-AoW Dwarf Lord

-I've ordered 20 CD Infernal Guards + command, I'm curious when (and if) they will get here, and what the quality will be like

Going to convert:

-10 BFSP miners into helldiggers

-12 BFSP warriors to CD warriors, same for the BFSP thane

-1 warrior to Santa ('t is the season, after all)

-2 warriors to shieldbearers to carry a beautiful CD Lord from AoW

This is going to take me many a year :)

Edited by Helblindi, 20 January 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#19 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

all I can say is . . . WOW.

#20 Baldur son of Ægir

Baldur son of Ægir

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

Helbindi,

I love some of your conversion ideas, very unique!  That Dwarf with the rocket/steam pack is inspired, love it!  Not a fan of the plastic dwarf line but it does leave much more scope for some great conversions and individual models.  Great to see you've already managed to get some units finished and based as well.  I seriously need to look into getting some scenic bases done for my models...

Looking forward to seeing what you roll out next with your conversions, especially this Santa Dwarf you've mentioned!  I've also been looking at the possibility of acquiring a couple of CD models, just for a bit of fun, and would be interested to see your take on converting the current Dwarf line into their evil relatives....

Keep it going!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users