9 replies to this topic

#1 Klairuhnz

Klairuhnz

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

Trying out this list tomorrow vs  DE, looking at a comp in September.

RL with GW and Anvil of Doom, Ro Spellbreaking, Ro Stone, MRo Disguise 381pts

MRo Disguise to confuse opponet's deployment

Joesf Bugman  @155pts

BSB MRo Gromril, MRo Challenge, Ro Brotherhood, and Ro Fire 165pts

20 LB Rangers FC, Throwing axes, Ro Battle and Ro Determination 370pts.  Support

39 LB Rangers FC, Throwing axes, MRo Grungni 660pts  The main boys

20 Miners FC with Steam Drill 270pts.

29 Miners FC Steam drill and blasting charges 399pts The backup boys

Want to use this list as a aggressive attacking and get into combat as soon as possible. With no units visible at all for deployment hope to be able to pick a flank to attack from and roll over the opponent, with miners coming in where needed. the smaller unit maybe used to protect Anvil if needed. JB will be with the bigger Ranger unit, BSB will go in the same unit they may place him in the larger miner unit to make a unit charge them and use the blasting charges. 

Unsure of what my opponent may have in his list, Would imagine at least a Hydra, so the Ro fire and blasting charges should see them off.

Figures aren't a problem as will be subbing a few as this is only a friendly came.

I like the idea of strength 5 throwing axes, even at the cost of another 4 rangers, think it's worth the shot

#2 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the anvil cannot take engineering runes, only cannons, stone throwers and bolt throwers can - check the 'engineering runes' section of the AB.

Otherwise I think you need more bodies and less toys. Units really want to be 35+ models. Blasting charges are a bad choice, as I feel are throwing axes. Determination is a useful rune in this list, but battle and grungni less so - use your positioning to ensure favourable combat match ups and get into combat quick. I'd downgrade 1 ranger unit to warrior rangers, and perhaps shrink the larger one to increase your unit sizes. You need to go into combats in horde formation, and have enough guys remaining after the first round of attacks to break/destroy a unit when you swing with your great weapons.

#3 Klairuhnz

Klairuhnz

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

But when the AB was written the Anvil was not count as a war machine, but does now. As the engineering rules say runes can not be placed on " The newfangled Organ gun, Gyro and Flame canon." The anvil is not a newfangled machine. So could argue that it is a older type of war machine, as such may be able to take the rune and possible the Ro Burning rather than Stone, as Stone does nothing to AS but flaming attacks would be awesome.  Still would agree with you about it's use. As such changes to list 

RL with GW and Anvil of Doom,  Ro Spellbreaking, MRo Balance or Spelleater rune (Lean towards Balance)396pts

Joesf Bugman  @155pts

BSB MRo Gromril, MRo Challenge, Ro Brotherhood,  160pts

35 Rangers FC,  344pts.  Support

36 LB Rangers FC, Throwing axes, Ro Determination 630pts  The main boys

20 Miners FC 245pts.

36 Miners FC Steam drill  446pts The backup

Edited by Klairuhnz, 31 August 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Looks like a solid list. I don't normally use the second ranger group till 3000 points but it looks like a lot of hurt. I could see dropping the 20 man miners for a cannon and a few more bodies on the blocks but your list looks fine just try it and make changes.

#5 Klairuhnz

Klairuhnz

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Tried the list out on Sunday. Has potential but luck wasn't with me. DE had first turn, made spear block with two mages charge, which was supported by a 24 block of witch elves. Combat fine won WE's rolled d1's to hold spear's fled less lvl 2 mage. My first turn killed of all but SB of WE's and again he rolled Double 1's. Left my flank open for a charge from Hydra and an other unit of WE's, Plus he got of two big hurt spells on the other unit of Rangers. And shooting did the rest on them. MRo Grungi needed I feel. Also a small block of troll slayers to stop scouts getting at Anvil in first turn.

Edited by Klairuhnz, 02 September 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#6 Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

if he charged his scouts in your anvil on turn 1 he's wrong because scouts cant do that, but yes enemy scouts can hurt your anvil. grape shot from the cannon and hitting the wrath and ruin rune can help if the group is small but large groups suck.Cant help the double 1's but if he would of ran it would of been a whole new game. keep trying it takes practice

#7 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

I agree. Keep trying. It takes practice. As Dolgrim says, Scouts cannot charge on the first turn, so that'll be something of which to be aware in the future. (They can charge on the second turn, i.e. if the controlling player goes second, they can charge during the controlling player's first turn, but that would be the second turn of the first round... hope that makes sense.) Once in a while, the dice will just be against you. It's clear that your game was a case in point.

Is there anything you would change for future games? Would you have done anything differently? Did you feel like your deployment of your Ranger units was solid?

Edited by Swordthain, 02 September 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#8 Klairuhnz

Klairuhnz

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

Forgot about the scout charging rule completely. The deployment was fine forgetting the scouts can't charge and the double double 1's hurt. Hoping to get a few games but not easy with my work. Thinking of splitting the smaller unit of miners into two smaller squads, to use as warmachine hunters and a little reflexability

#9 Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

two 5 to 6 man groups are great for that

#10 ryanabt

ryanabt

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

A big group and a small group of miners for use in ambush. Warmachine hunting for the small and flank/rear attack for the other.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ambush, 2400pts, disguise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users