• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buckled

Buckled

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

**Disclaimer** This is only my 2nd match of Warhammer Fantasy so all tips and suggestions are welcome.

2000pts VS Empire

First off what I know of my opponent is that he does use at least 1 cannon, 2 mages, 1 empire organ gun, blocks of rifle men, as well as blocks of swordmen and halberds.

My list:

-RuneLord w/ Anvil of Doom, Ro Balance =365

-Thane w/ ABS =90

-25 warriors w/ gw, shield, Full Command =300

-10 Quarrelers w/ Shields =120

-10 Quarrelers w/ Shields =120

-Grudge Thrower =80

-Grudge Thrower =80

-Cannon =90

-Organ Gun =120

Total: 1995

Was thinking of placing maybe a 5 points rune on either a gun or the RuneLord or Thane.

My plan is basically to castle up, out range his gunners with quarrelers. Hit his huge blocks with the GrudgeThrowers, use the cannon to take out any big targets or his cannon, and use the organ gun if he gets to close or brings knights. The Anvil will prevent most of his casting as well as being able to slow down any fast units or units that get too close.

Edited by Buckled, 28 August 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

if your going gunline drop all the warriors and make GW Quallerers. it will give you more shots and will be able to fight as good as a GW warrior. Naked GT are ok but runed up ones are the best! since he has large infantry blocks use 2 gt one with 2x penn 1x accuracy and the other with 1x penn 1x accuracy and put a master engineer in the middle. That will ruin his day.Cannon can use rune of forging it pays for itself in saved points and saved tears.He has two mages and you have no spell breakers you need at least one. here is an example of what Im saying

1 Lord: 443 Pts.   22.1%
2 Heroes: 219 Pts.   10.9%
2 Core Units: 804 Pts.   40.2%
3 Elite Units: 410 Pts.   20.5%
1 Rare Unit: 120 Pts.   6.0%

Runelord, Shield, Anvil of Doom, 1 x Rune of Shielding, 1 x Rune of Resistance, 1 x Master Rune of Balance, 1 x Rune of Spellbreaking - 443 Pts.

Master Engineer, GW, 1 x Rune of Shielding - 99 Pts.
Thane, 1 x Master Rune of Gromril, 1 x Rune of the Furnace, BSB - 120 Pts.

29 Quarrellers, GW, M, S, C - 402 Pts.
29 Quarrellers, GW, M, S, C - 402 Pts.

Grudge Thrower, 1 x Rune of Accuracy, 2 x Rune of Penetrating - 155 Pts.
Grudge Thrower, 1 x Rune of Accuracy, 1 x Rune of Penetrating - 130 Pts.
Cannon, 1 x Rune of Forging - 125 Pts.

Organ Gun - 120 Pts.

Total: 1996

This is just a template you can make 3 20 man quallerer groups or keep them 29 strong and 15x2 then reform to deep ranks when close combat comes knocking. you could also drop the thane all together also and add another organ gun. Happy shooting!

#3 Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

You should also read the handbook it will help you as a new player! It changed my thinking and saved me alot of heart ache.

#4 Buckled

Buckled

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

So I played a match against him with the list I posted and he brought a much different list than I had anticipated. He brought a block of 15 knights, 6 demigryph knights, 2 blocks of spearmen, 20 handgunners, 1 mage, 2 priests, a cannon, and a Hurricanum.

I quickly learned the importance of an engineer as my 2 GTs both misfired turn 1, knocking 1 out for 2 turns. My Anvil then also miscast knocking it out for 2 turns allowing his cavalry to move up quickly. I did manage to stop every spell except 1 which missed. Despite getting heavily flanked by the cavalry and demigryphs I only lost 1000 to 730.

Thanks for the advise, I'll certainly use most of it for the next match.

#5 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Seems like a good close game, despite your poor luck - well done. When artillery conspires to mess you up, there isn't much you can do about it really. It is always annoying when your opponent brings something completely different - a lot of people in my group have several small armies rather than one big one, and it sometimes happens that they change their mind and bring one other than the one planned for (meaning last minute points shifting etc). Anyway...

I agree that engineers are really handy; I personally always take them where I can - if nothing else they add to the resilience of the added wound really useful, especially for counter battery fire and the like. 

Best of luck,

David.

#6 ryanabt

ryanabt

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for letting us know how it went.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: empire, new, castle, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic