4 replies to this topic

#1 Gidith Warcrusher

Gidith Warcrusher

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hello my fellow Dwarf Lords!

I was just reading the army book again last night, and ended up thinking about Thorek Ironbrow.

Has anyone used him? 

What are your thoughts?  is he just an over priced Runelord on an anvil?

I couldn't find a thread on here, so apologies if there is already one!

Any thoughts comments would be appreciated to help a Beardling out!

Cheers!

#2 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

I do sometimes when i'm allowed to. I use him for ancient power rolls to slow down and kill the opponent especially fliers.

d3 x 2d6 str 4 magical hits is awesome imo.

and getting multiple anvil charges works very well too and allows me to get flank charges using characters/miners/rangers.

character eg dragonslayer can leave unit in movement phase then both unit and character can often charge in shooting phase also.

when the skeggi reroll is gone, I normally go back to normal anvil striking.... unless I am desperate.

Edited by Grim1, 28 August 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#3 Gidith Warcrusher

Gidith Warcrusher

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

OK, Thanks,

I am going up agaisnt Lizardmen now, im thinking he would be quite useful against them for shutting down the magic and slowing them down?

#4 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

a regular runelord would be better anti magic-wise, cause of the balance and spellbreak runes, but he really is great for slowing them down.

lots of other armies hate him for the d3 2d6 str 4 magical and slow effect/anti-fly that isn't dispellable at all. add to that the 3 dice swing. powerful character but not overpowerful.

the drawback that some don't like is that he uses the mrune of gromril that lots of people want on their bsb.

#5 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

is he just an over priced Runelord on an anvil?

This. Yes, he was once revered as godly (and for some reason a few people - mainly players of other armies - still see him this way), but now he's been FAQ'd to 1 re-roll he's not all that. He doesn't come with the magic protection you need, is very expensive, still carries the risk of wiping himself out, and... 

the drawback that some don't like is that he uses the mrune of gromril that lots of people want on their bsb.

this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thorek, anvil, runelord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users