23 replies to this topic

#21 Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dolgrim Brassbottom

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

I can see starting a thread on ambush lists once I get in a few more fights and make some battlereports. I see your point on the anvil but its needed in the ambush list. I've had my anvil blow up turn one with a gunline so i know the pain lol. I just got my battle choronicler up and running and I plan on making a battle report on my next fight. Swordthain already has some battle reports up so if I get in gear and add some more a thread should be really easy.

#22 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

Ok Okri again makes some good points. I disagree that ambush lists would be better off without the Anvil of Doom, but I haven't actually had any experience with ambush lists that do not include it. It might be worth looking at. I'm not sure how well the ambush list would perform with one's opponent having the opportunity to react to your Miners' initial deployments... It might work. If it does, I would drop the Anvil of Doom altogether, since it is so unreliable.

#23 Cuthbo

Cuthbo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

As long as you use it on normal power, isn't the Anvil pretty reliable? I have only used it once before and it didn't blow up (although it got tied up in combat for 3 turns...).

But basically in all the battles where I took Miners (without Anvil) they were really useless. They have become a bit of a joke in our little circle because every time I have fielded them (in units of about 20 usually) they show up late and spend a couple of turns waddling after the (usually twice as fast) enemy. 

I guess if I show up with loads of Miners, it'll lull the guys into a false sense of security!

#24 Ivalde

Ivalde

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

As long as you use it on normal power, isn't the Anvil pretty reliable? I have only used it once before and it didn't blow up (although it got tied up in combat for 3 turns...).

But basically in all the battles where I took Miners (without Anvil) they were really useless. They have become a bit of a joke in our little circle because every time I have fielded them (in units of about 20 usually) they show up late and spend a couple of turns waddling after the (usually twice as fast) enemy. 

I guess if I show up with loads of Miners, it'll lull the guys into a false sense of security!

In general, the anvil should mishap once per game. Math? 6 turns a game, and 1/6 chance of rolling a 1 on the dice. Even then it is not really likely to explode in the mishap table. But as we all know, math is more or less useless in dicegames. Those 1 + 1 rolls always seem to happen when you don't need it.

Regarding late Miners, thats why you give them a steamdrill to give them that little extra reliability of coming on to the table fast enough. But as you said.. most enemies is able to just run away from that block anyways. It can be done, but it just need really good timing and placement. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bugman, strollaz, anvil, 2500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users