#1 Ingund Of Brionne

Ingund Of Brionne

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hi all!

I know its been a while since I've been active but you know :) Hope some people still remember me :P

Anyway recently I've gotten hugely addicted to minecraft which I'm sure many of you know and love. Anyway I have started to make my version of a dwarven hold, its difficult to make it look specifically dwarven but I'm having a go!!

Here is what I have so far:

outside:

Main door (within the walls above):

Main hall, through the main door:

A few things, as I can't make huge gates in mincraft currently I dive underwater under the walls and come up through a trap door to enter my hold. But now to the root of my question. What does the inside of a hold look like! I started then got stumped. I know I want a bridge like Khazad-Dum and that will lead to a room like the treasure room in erebor, but thats all I know, I don't know how it all fits together any help would be brilliant!

Thanks

Ingund

#2 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Google "Mad Alfred + Karak Hirn" ;)

#3 Stonefur

Stonefur

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

I would imagine that the inside is built for dwarfs, as in low ceilings and lots of dumb waiter and elevator/carts.  I would think the layout would be one with layers, like an onion, so if they were invaded they can stage defenses and pull back slowly, making their enemies pay dearly for every foot of ground.  Dwarves/Dwarfs are traditional known for using drop tunnels and all kinds of tactical engineering to force enemies to fight on their terms. 

#4 The beardless dwarf

The beardless dwarf

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Make lava traps, arrow traps, secret doors, secret chambers, mine cart rides, dead ends, great hallways, luxsury chambers, smiths, storage rooms... and all this underground ;)

#5 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

If you can get a hold of any of the old WFRP books as they often have dwarfen holds in them, or least dwarfen made structures.

Stonefur: Generally the rooms don't have low ceilings, dwarfs like to show off prowess and skill so they have large halls to show off stone work, trophies, carved stories of the ancestors, statues. In the books they've had elves and humans visit without having to bend double to get through any of the doors. Perhaps down at the lower mines they are more confined but I think the main chambers would be large due to wanting air flow through without it getting hot and stuffy.

Generally dwarf holds started out as mines, so they may go in odd directions at times where ore seams have been followed.

#6 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Generally dwarf holds started out as mines, so they may go in odd directions at times where ore seams have been followed.

Moreso than anything else, this is why Dwarf Holds are cavernous - a mining clan will excavate all ore/gem seams within a mine. This can leave pretty huge holes! These caverns then need to be supported to avoid cave ins, etc, hence the huge carved columns and the like. Dwarfs being Dwarfs, anything they create has to be of the highest craftmanship and the Dwarf style applied (ancestor faces, stylised knot-work, famous heroes, battles, runework etc).

As Bonecrusher states, mining clans send expeditionary forces out to seek new seams to mine. When a larghe enough seam is discovered, the mining clan will build a temporary fort on that spot, to protect it from enemies, even other clans. A significantly rich seam (one that will take centuries to exhaust) will eventually become a Hold.

#7 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

That last part of your explanation got me thinking, Alebelly. We virtually never hear anything about dwarf vs dwarf in the fluff. Not including those that shall not be named I can't think of a single 'skirmish' between two dwarf clans in any of the literature I've read. Is there much written on this? I know that when dwarfs have mutual claims for things they enter pretty heated diplomacy but I find it hard to imagine dwarfs going to war against each other.

#8 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

If memory serves, isn't there an incident where a Dwarf Queen marched on a Thane? I thought it was called the Grudge of Drong (after my time), but having just looked, it seems that was not Dwarf on Dwarf. Wasn't there a Thane with a big hammer that battled a Rinn over some land dispute?

There is stuff, but scant little, typically at clan level where gold is involved. If I can jog my memory as to a reference, I'll try to dig one up for you...

#9 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Grudge of Drong was , Queen Helga Longplatts was claiming a throne when her husband died, but Drong claimed it, so one of them went to the elves for aid.....I think it was ment to be set before the war of vengence.

If you look in the book of grudges tehre is something about a rinn being ugly so considered an insult and a debt is against her.

WFRP is the best place you'll find an example in the 2nd of the doomstone campaign trilogy. Blood and Death?? there are two dwarf factions fighting over an abandoned hold.

#10 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Whilst bumbling around the Interwebz for stuff, I came across some concept art for The Hobbit:

#11 Ingund Of Brionne

Ingund Of Brionne

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

Well, I read the fluff, I thought about the limitations of minecraft and then I freestyled it a bit... :D I will post pics ASAP

#12 Vulcan

Vulcan

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Don't forget the ten-ton deadfall in the great hall. Ever since the fall of Eribor (did I spell that right?) you need to be prepared with something to kill a dragon who wants to take the treasury...

#13 Thunderer

Thunderer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

I should hook you up with my son... he has a gate he makes with redstone powered switches and other things that opens up a nice size portal. Another option you could do it make your own skin or mod pack so your door would be more "dwarfy"

#14 Reiko

Reiko

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hate to burst your bubble but this has been done before. You can certianly make your own.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uKrDHNqvcZ4

Also, if your looking for some awesome inspiration for minecraft I HIGHLY recommend the westeroscraft server.

Just you tube the timelapse of the westeroscraft-perhaps lannisport/casterly rock would be dwarvenish.  If nothing else it will get you some idea of micecraft building.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fluff, hold, dwarven, mountain, minecraft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users