179 replies to this topic

#121 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

A terrific unit! Wow great skills here. Well done indeed.The soft colors & tones are just perfect. The bases are really nice as well.

thanks for posting David-

red

#122 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for the kind words everybody - much appreciated. Sorry for the slowness of response - I've been away for a (very!) long weekend for the wedding of 2 university friends, and I had no internet for 5 days or so. 

David, some great work here.  You can really see that your standard is lifting as the pages progress :thumbup:   Any tips you'd like to share on painting the eyes - you appear to have a very steady hand....  I'm getting a bit of slack on my thread for being a wimp and not manning-up to tackle this particular area of expertise.  Cheers!

Firstly, Baldur - thanks for commenting that my painting has come on. It really has, that's for sure, but for much of that, I have the Bugmans community to thank. I've had loads of advice from far too many people to name, and had plenty of lovely dwarven units by people far more skilled than me to take inspiration from. 

Long story short - as far as I can see, the best way to improve your painting, beyond practising, is to ask for advice from the lovely people of Bugmans. My painting has come on so much in the last year or so, far more than in the few years of painting other figures before becoming a member here.

Regarding the eyes - actually, I think they're not too difficult. Yes, you need a steady hand, and a brush with a fine point, but the method I use is not too difficult.

Firstly, paint the eye socket with a very dark brown. I use GW rhinox brown (I think that's the new name - the old scorched brown, the darkest brown you can find).

Then I paint the eye, except for a very thin line around the edge, with Vallejo ivory. I prefer an ivory colour to white, because I think it looks slightly more natural, but white would be fine. Possibly vallejo glacier blue would be good - an extremely pale blue might be worth experimenting with, actually, I'd say the whites of my own eyes are a very, very pale blue rather than a 'white' (like my shirt or paper) or ivory - I'll have a go!

Then I paint the iris/pupil. I do this with the same very dark brown again. This is just simply a dot  where it looks most natural, but making sure to touch both the upper and lower eyelids. It's not uncommon that I put the dot in the wrong place (so it looks like the poor dwarf is looking in an odd direction), and have to re-do it by painting over it with the ivory (or whatever colour you use for the whites of the eyes). 

Anyway, I hope this helps. 

I'm afraid updates are going to be few and far between for a while now - I have to submit my thesis on or before 27 June, which I'm afraid doesn't leave much time for painting....

Anyway, thanks everybody for the kind words, and best wishes,

David.

Edited by Lord Alisk, 29 May 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#123 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hello all. Well, it's been a while...

First up, we have some iron drakes, which have been entered for the ongoing unit painting competition:

opv93G.jpg

bDb4HH.jpg

BCzE10.jpg

riWDVt.jpg

r9UCvg.jpg

MrM1ej.jpg

vewhJD.jpg

xR1ygT.jpg

I'm fairly happy with how these boys have turned out, though part of me thinks they look a bit like walking coal scuttles. The reason why they have a polished bronze-y look is part of a cunning plan; my hammerers have gold breastplates, and if I ever get any iron breakers, they'll all be in silver. So to make these guys look different, I thought bronze would be nice. Also, it made them look perhaps a bit more fire-y. Also, one advantage was that it allowed me to do the beards in silver (if everything was silver, it'd be too much), and the advantage of silver beards meant that they look a bit older, and thus more experienced.

I'm quite happy with the free-standing torpedo launcher, which is kind of inspired by a high powered harpooning gun used by whalers. I did this for a few reasons: mainly because I only occasionally want to take the trollhammer torpedo upgrade, so sticking the torpedo onto the champion model didn't appeal. Also, I think it just looks kind of cool, really. It was a really easy conversion using the drill from the miners kit.

I have to say I found the iron drakes a complete drag to paint, which is perhaps why I've had them sitting around for 6 months or so, and only forced myself to get them done in the last couple of weeks. Without the beards, shields, faces, and other additions which make 'normal' models more interesting to paint, these were just horrendously tedious. But they're done now!

Also, just to mention, we now have a new camera. I'm playing around with the various settings, but I still think that there is much to learn with it. I get the impression that though it can do all manner of fancy things, it'll take weeks of fiddling to get to the stage where it takes pictures as well as the 'obsolete' one it replaces, and it'll never be as easy to use. Some people like 'progress'. I think it's a horrible, horrible trap.

But anyway...

Also, we have a small update: I've finally got my Grimm Burlockson model painted. He's not actually Grimm Burlockson, he's Heimdall Sivaldisson, the extremely gifted head of Karak Zhufdrin's engineer's guild. The fact that he looks a lot like Grimm, and has exactly the same rules and points cost, is purely coincidental...

ZRZCrg.jpg

CUDMZu.jpg

dORtBM.jpg

LflMmJ.jpg

He was less boring to paint than the iron drakes, at least! Mind you, I'm not that fond of the model, actually. The old metal engineers from c. 1999/2000 are nicer... Grimm/Heimdall just seems too much, somehow - the steam powered back banner being a case in point - I mean, what is that?

Anyway...

Well, after a horrendously long hiatus, I hope to be back to more active painting now. I've very nearly finished a 2nd gyrocopter, but the next 'big thing' are lots of miners and more (MOARRR!) hammerers. You can never have enough hammerers. 

As always, comments and criticisms welcome, and best wishes,

David.

#124 Thorrin

Thorrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Just amazing. That's all I have to say

#125 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

Very nice work!  I really like the "darker"  (3rd photo) picture!  They really pop!  The harpoon gun is fantastic!  :thumbup:

Also really like the flowering plant on the engineer!  You make it?

#126 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. As I say, it's still (very) early days with the new camera, but hopefully I'll get better at it as time goes on.

Very nice work!  I really like the "darker"  (3rd photo) picture!  They really pop!  The harpoon gun is fantastic!  :thumbup:

Also really like the flowering plant on the engineer!  You make it?

Oridur, I'm afraid I didn't make the flowers, but bought them in, from here - http://store.warlord.../meadow-flowers

I've got a fair few other tufts and other scenic bits and pieces from Warlord. They're pretty good.

Thanks again,

David.

#127 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

The Irondrakes look terrific David. Great stuff. I like that master engineer too.

keep at it!

red

#128 Gotrong Gudmundsson

Gotrong Gudmundsson

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

They look fantastic, and I love the converted trollhammer torpedo there :)

#129 Hod Flagonpounder

Hod Flagonpounder

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:49 PM

Looks great. I really like the soft color you give them.

#130 Novgord V

Novgord V

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

I really like the Trollhammer torpedo, lovely work!

#131 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the kind words everybody - it's really appreciated. 

Well, it's now more hammerers (you can't have too many hammerers) on the painting bench. I'm trying to get more painting in, so I'm hoping there won't be as long between updates.

Many, many thanks once again.

#132 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Gonna steal those Hard David, I need to paint some Irondrakes as well and I love te Look you have going for them and the thinkink behind it. Still a Fan :).

#133 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Lovely drakes Alisk, that is the best colour scheme I've seen for them! If I was to get some drakes that would be the kind of scheme I'd like to adopt.

#134 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

Hello everybody. 

Well, it has been nearly a year (!) since an update. I have been painting stuff a fair bit, but never seeming to get much actually finished. 

However, I've finally  got around to finishing a range of things, so I thought I'd post them up. It has been a while....

Anyway, the first load of pictures are of my good old long beards. Now, these started as the first unit of dwarfs I ever painted (look all the way back onto p. 1 of this thread for these guys a la 2013). Since then, I've acquired a few more of them, as well as some anvil guards who do fit the OOP long beard aesthetic - and given the general uselessness of anvils, I thought that if I based them up they'd at least see regular use. That has made a pretty good sized unit of 37, anyway.

Of these 37, 20 were painted way-back-when, and the remaining 17 over the last 6-10 months or so. I then spent a bit of time bringing the old ones back up to something of the level of the newer ones - I've got better at painting eyes and gold in particular. and the unit standard deserved a 'proper' flag as well. I didn't want to totally obliterate the old style - it is nice that the unit has a obvious history to it, but I did think it worthwhile making them all a smidgen more uniform. 

I'm really happy with how these guys have come out, as a whole. To make them look a bit neater, I got some spare multi-bases to fill up the back of the movement tray - I probably should make them their own tray at some point, but a 5x10 tray is more multi-purpose (I also dabble in night goblins, and having a tray for big buses of troops is handy).

gallery_13812_1146_1330220.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_2065549.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_3587223.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_3835328.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_827347.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_1652035.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_3242004.jpg

Secondly, I've also got round to finishing up my flame cannon and crew. Like the long beards they've been almost done for ages - the cannon itself for at least 6 months now, but the last crewman wasn't finished until this morning.

Anyway, I am a bit of a flame cannon fan (of the model, anyway - I've only actually used it twice, I think), and I'm sorely tempted to get another one, not use all the gubbinz on the top, and treat it, in some way, as a normal cannon. It is an absolute beast of a war machine,I have to say, and the best looking dwarf artillery piece out there at the moment.

gallery_13812_1146_868171.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_687395.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_2353428.jpg

Thirdly, I have another gyrocopter - because one can never have enough gyrocopters (I've still only got two - it isn't enough...). It's the charming old '80s one, and I'm quite fond of it - it just looks so rickety! OK, stylistically it doesn't fit in with the rest of the range too well (there's this whole WWI dogfighter thing going on, rather than the more viking-y thing of the newer models), but I find him kind of charming in his way!

gallery_13812_1146_61014.jpg

gallery_13812_1146_2932130.jpg

In the future, well, I'm hoping to do some more heroes (I've just got all the really rather great Black Chapel dwarfs, and they're being cleaned up and undercoated now), and more steady old rank and file - because I'm not that keen on plastic models, the 'normal' dwarfs have fallen behind a lot (I've got over 40 hammerers painted, and nearly 40 long beards, but only 25 normal warriors, and 20 crossbows), so I should make an effort to bulk the normal guys up a bit. We'll see how that pans out!

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestion. I do want to get better at painting, so any hints are eagerly sought. Furthermore, I'm sorry about the generally useless photos - that's another thing to work on too, I guess...

All best,

David.

Edited by Lord Alisk, 22 February 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#135 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

I like the look and feel of the Longbeards...

#136 Reka Dvegrsson

Reka Dvegrsson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

That is one beautiful unit Alisk, it's surprising how much the Anvil Guards add to the unit... wish I could get a hold of that many! I may paint my longbeard beards in a similar manner - just sticking to the light blonde and white. Nicely done!

#137 Gurnik Skufson

Gurnik Skufson

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:51 PM

Absolutely stunning. And some awesome pics as well.

#138 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

Everything looks fantastic! Oh to use such a big block of longbeards!

#139 WakefulAcorn

WakefulAcorn

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:05 AM

Love the look of your models, they look amazing

#140 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hi everybody. 

Many thanks indeed for the very kind comments - I am afraid the pictures are a bit poor (either too dark or too light, but never just right, it seems) - so Gurnik, thanks for the photo comment, but I fear you are too kind...!

That is one beautiful unit Alisk, it's surprising how much the Anvil Guards add to the unit... wish I could get a hold of that many! I may paint my longbeard beards in a similar manner - just sticking to the light blonde and white. Nicely done!

Thanks Reka - I'm a big fan of what I've seen of your dwarfs thus far - I think our holds must somehow be related!

Re. the anvil guards - yes, I agree they do make the unit look more interesting and diverse - they fit in really well, I have to say. Actually, the way ebay prices are these days (the OOP long beards are really sought after now), anvil guards aren't that expensive 2nd hand - I got hold of an anvil with guards for £5 last summer, which is often less than 2 OOP longbeards these days, so if you're patient it can actually be a relatively cheap, as well as very attractive, way of bulking up a long beard unit.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind remarks. I'm working on some Black Chapel dwarfs now, and I'll be sure to post them up when some are done.

All best, and thanks for dropping by,

David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users