179 replies to this topic

#61 Thorrin

Thorrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Wow that lord is awesome I need the get him or maybe one of the new characters or lords in the new book

#62 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Wow that lord is awesome I need the get him or maybe one of the new characters or lords in the new book

Thanks Thorrin. The lord is from the Warhammer Forge dwarf command set. I cannot recommend them enough - wonderful sculpts, and also not expensive, all things considered. The only thing I'm worried about is that the new book stops generic lords from taking shield bearers. It would be a shame if he was invalidated in a fortnight, especially after just finishing him.

I just hope that Warhammer Forge keeps going and produces more wonderful fantasy models. They just seem to be tripping over themselves to make '80s retro marines, which though not without charm, just aren't my cup of tea.

Thanks for dropping by, and best wishes,

David.

#63 Thorrin

Thorrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Okay and one more thing how did you paint skag's beard

#64 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Okay and one more thing how did you paint skag's beard

Oh, gosh, that was a long time ago! I take it you mean Skag the Stealthy from page 1?

He was one of the very first dwarfs I painted, and I think my painting has come on since then. 

If I were to paint a blonde beard now, it would depend upon what final colour you wanted - either a more yellow blonde, or a paler blonde, or a creamy blonde.

For a yellowy blonde, I'd base coat with the new Balor Brown, and wash with seraphim sepia, maybe with a darker brown wash in the recesses (like agorax earthshade). Then I'd re-paint the raised areas with balor brown again, and then highlight with increasingly pale paint, using GW balor brown mixed with increasing amounts of vallejo ivory. I think vallejo ivory is really handy for painting beards (and skin) as it gives a much nicer highlight when mixed with yellows/pale brown and flesh tones than pure white would.

For a very pale blonde, I'd use a bone colour as a base, wash, and highlight up with bone/ivory. For a very pale blonde, I'd begin with a pale flesh tone as a base (Kislev flesh, I believe), and work up with that, using pure ivory on the highlights. There's a tutorial somewhere around on this site using flesh colours as a base coat for beards - I'd never have thought of it myself! But it does look really good (beards done that way are common amongst my long beards, and also the pilot of the gyrocopter).

The artillery crew I'm working on now have a wide range of beard styles, so maybe that will help. They'll be posted up in a day or two. Within a week anyway.

#65 Thorrin

Thorrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks

#66 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Lord looks great.

Is that a forgeworld lord?

#67 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Is that a forgeworld lord?

Many thanks! Yes, it is the forgeworld lord - though the normal GW King Alrik shield bearers. 

#68 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

Well, you wait months for an update, and 2 come along at once...

I've finally finished the gun crews for some artillery. The artillery pieces themselves have been painted for months - it is much easier to paint artillery in bits, but then you can't use them. I don't like using unpainted models in games, but I do want to game...Basically, you can play a game with a load of unpainted infantry stuck to their bases, but you can't drop down a pile of bits and use it as a cannon. Artillery tends to get shoved to the front of the painting queue because of this. 

Anyway, if I was painting these today I might do them differently, I'd probably paint the cannon bronze rather than silver, for instance (I've got into bronze coloured paint only relatively recently - one project will be re-painting lots of silver over the coming weeks - on helmets etc. especially).

Anyway, to the pictures!

I still don't treat these as fully finished, as I want to give them scenic bases (one of the many jobs I've been meaning to do for a while...). Still, I think they're pretty good on the whole. The cannon and bolt thrower have engineers, by the way.

Cannon:

77x8.jpg

bixb.jpg

2igf.jpg

g3b4.jpg

w4de.jpg

Organ gun:

lkdz.jpg

od4f.jpg

tm56.jpg

qfnj.jpg

lwlt.jpg

Bolt Thrower:

6omp.jpg

5gfy.jpg

92oo.jpg

b42z.jpg

unfv.jpg

vmu8.jpg

As always, comments and criticism welcome!

Cheers,

David.

#69 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

No criticism, these guys just look really nice :) I was particularly impressed at the clean way you did the blue and white stripes on the one guy's pants. At that scale, you must have a very steady hand.

#70 Sanza

Sanza

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

You.re missing the arrow on the ballista ?
Me too ;(

Very nice painting !

#71 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

Very nice, I agree, the stripped pants are excellent!  Try using some black pastel chalk to weather up the cannon & crew.  Black powder is DIRTY!  :yes

#72 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hello everybody, thanks for all the kind words.

Re. the missing bolt on the bolt thrower: I think the guy in the white shirt looks like he's loading a new one in (I think his pose implies there shouldn't be a bolt already in the machine), and I want to make a scenic base for these sooner or later, and use the bolt on that (as a spare in storage as it were). I'll paint it, place it on, and see what it looks like. 

Re. the dirty/sooty look - I agree they probably should look dirty. I should have a go at putting chalk on models a bit and have a practice. However, I fear it will look a bit too messy - kind of like putting red paint for blood on swords - after a few minutes in a battle there'd be lots and lots of blood everywhere, but you have to be very skilled to make blood on models look good (I've tried and failed many a time...). I'll experiment when I get the chance on a more expendable model. 

Unfortunately, my newly painted models have let me down rather. In the game I had last night, my entire artillery park managed to kill 3 zombies and a varghulf (and that was through a master rune of Immolation rather than shooting it). My bolt thrower missed with every shot, the cannon rolled 3 consecutive 1s to wound various large targets, and the fully runed grudge thrower got 2 1s to wound big targets the cannons missed and a series of bad scatters (though I guess it was the only machine to kill something normally). It was horrible. Poor old King Grettir got killed by a vampire lord. Thank goodness for the doughty fighting power of normal dwarfs though - I still managed to grind out a win - but watching 500+ points of artillery take the entire game to kill 3 zombies was horrible (and self destruct to kill a varghulf - I guess the suicide bolt thrower did at least pay for itself in that regard). 

Ho hum...

#73 Yorri Damminson

Yorri Damminson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

They were probably just looking at the their fresh painted cloathes instead of aiming at the enemy. ;)

Next battle they will do better! :)

#74 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

They were probably just looking at the their fresh painted cloathes instead of aiming at the enemy. ;)

I think you're probably right. I'm sure at least some of them were strutting their stuff in front of the lady dwarfs. I mean, the blonde fellow with the blue and white trousers and doing the heavy lifting is obviously just flexing for the passing ladies. And the bolt thrower loader, with his unbuttoned shirt and rakish red beret, well, I'm sure many a dwarf maiden has a woodcut print of his likeness on the inside of her wardrobe. 

#75 Migoo

Migoo

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Love the king 

#76 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

I am loving your army David, this is coming along great! Love the Slayers and the Lord especially, I need to get my hands on this Forge World Guys.

All the Best T

#77 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Bit more definition on the wood grain and those machines would look great.

#78 Foe-Hammer

Foe-Hammer

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

I'm speechless... Golden Demon quality work. Well done!

#79 BradleyKadrin

BradleyKadrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:30 AM

I am quite fond of the warmachine crews! Firstly these sculpts have such character and definition.

The way you've painted the skin-tone, hair+beard, and eyes are all factors which contribute to bringing them to life. The grey basing method you've used really complements the warm colour scheme of the miniatures. And the grass adds to the authenticity nicely also.

Thanks for sharing your art.

I am looking forward to more of these.

Edited by BradleyKadrin, 03 February 2014 - 01:36 AM.

#80 Double Misfire

Double Misfire

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:52 AM

Amazing warmachines and crew. The '96/Grudge of Drong era dwarfs are probably my favourite dwarfs of all time (with the possible exception of the hammerers...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users