102 replies to this topic

#1 ardyer

ardyer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hello all! There didn't seem to be a place for introductions so I thought I would introduce myself here, with photos of some of my dwarfs. I've been collecting dwarfs since the very end of third edition, where I ordered a special from the back of White Dwarf. That would form the basis of my first dwarf army. My second dwarf army army was based around the original multi-part plastics. Both of those armies are not pretty, although I am slowly stripping my first army for repainting. I've actually been lurking at the Brewery for a long, long time. Since back when non-members were allowed to use the Player's Society forums where Bugman also posted. Anyways, here are some photos of my third dwarf army:

And just for fun, here is a sneak peak at a unit of converted Hammerers I'm almost done with:

Enjoy!

Edited by ardyer, 29 March 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Bayard

Bayard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Very nice, especially warriors and Longbeards. I dont't like new plastics, but yours looks good ;)

#3 Gladeflower

Gladeflower

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

They are great. You clearly know how to paint.

#4 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Very nice! and welcome to the Brewery. This army looks great; would love to see more. LOVE that 1st unit with the Lord on the rock in particular. No more lurking; gotta post again soon. 

cheers

#5 mattradius

mattradius

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Wow, there are some very nice bits of paintowrk in there, the blending on the Runesmith's weaponry being a very noticable piece of high-quality paintwork, I'm impressed.

#6 Skinny

Skinny

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

What a great first post! I really like your white beards, the one on the Rune Lord looks amazing.

#7 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Great first post!!

I must admit I really don't feel much love for the new plastics but you've made them look good, very nice metallics and the blonde beards on the Longbeards looks top notch. Nice to see some old thunderers there to.

Thanks for sharing.

#8 thenick18

thenick18

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

I love the color combo + snow base, they absolutely look like they are in a colder environment in the mountains.

#9 ardyer

ardyer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

@Bayard I felt the same way when they were first released, but they've grown on me. The HW/S combo is really nice to paint too. I do wish their faces were a bit more “rotund,” but otherwise I'm quite happy with them now.

@rednorseman Ha! Yea, although I don't get any time to actually game anymore so I'll probably mostly be around the painting area and the marketplace. Speaking of which, S.O.F., if you read this, check your PM inbox ;)

@Darkblade Thanks, the mettallics are my attempts at using Joseph Wiltshere's method, which mixes black and/or codex grey into each step of the painting process. It's very time consuming unfortunately, but its to late to switch now!

@thenick18 That is what I was going for. Kind of my idea is that these are the dwarfs stuck in Karak-Eight-Peaks. Stuck in a deep mountain environment without lots of extravagances like expensive dyes and such. Except for the odd adventurer or two who have come to the hold in search of riches. I'm even working on a night goblin army to accompany it, led by the original Snarsnik model.

#10 Grimwald the Surly

Grimwald the Surly

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Very nice units. Quite taken with the hero in the first pick. And as already mentioned quite like the blonde beards on the Longbeards, how did you achieve that?

#11 ardyer

ardyer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

Very nice units. Quite taken with the hero in the first pick. And as already mentioned quite like the blonde beards on the Longbeards, how did you achieve that?

I did the longbeards a couple of years ago, so I don't remember what exactly I used in the third step, but I painted them bleached bone, layered white on top making sure to try to hit the top of the stands, then I applied several glazes of something (maybe bubonic brown?) to the deepest recesses of the braids, and then touched up the white.

#12 ardyer

ardyer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

I did the longbeards a couple of years ago, so I don't remember what exactly I used in the third step, but I painted them bleached bone, layered white on top making sure to try to hit the top of the stands, then I applied several glazes of something (maybe bubonic brown?) to the deepest recesses of the braids, and then touched up the white.

#13 Oridur

Oridur

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

Wow, very nicely done!  I too esprcially love the old longbeards!

#14 thenick18

thenick18

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm even working on a night goblin army to accompany it, led by the original Snarsnik model.

BLASPHEMY!

#15 Craze_b0i

Craze_b0i

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Nice work, I must say I especially like the first unit.

#16 Lord Bear

Lord Bear

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nice work love the skin tone

#17 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Those are some sexy Dwarfs! Damn nice painting, hat off to you!

#18 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Looking good. Keep up the excellent work and post more pictures as your throng grows!

#19 The Viking Stig

The Viking Stig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Very nice! The thunderers, runelord and longbeards particularly look great! I especially like the blonde on the runelord!

#20 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I really like them. The warriors in particular look outstanding!

Any fluff concerning your army?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users