5 replies to this topic

#1 Dron Zharr

Dron Zharr

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Firstly, I'd like to greet all of ya long and shortbeards, and say thank you for all of the wisdom and experience I have gained listening to your tales of might and valour by the Main Fireplace and in the Tawern. A round of ale on me laddies!

Also, since I'm done being a lurker for many a year, I'd like to inquire you about a matter of contention taht I have. This saturday there's goin' to be a tourney, and many foul beasts shall be slain before the sun sets. The throng is bound to be no more than 1200 points strong, consisting of 28 stout and harden long and white bearded dwarfs, along with a furious fighter - a Lord with runes of Kragg the Grimm, Fury, Snorri Spangelhelm, Stone and Spite. He is accompanied by a fellow Thane, carrying a Battle Standart.

Along with the lot, there is a Master Engineer taking with himself a canon and a grudge thrower.

Now my concern is as follows: should I rather take a noble runesmith in exchange for the Master Enginer? Both of 'em lads are fierce warriors, skilled engough to deal with any monstroucity that would like to ravage our machines, yet Master Engineer is better fit to handle the machnes, as well as armed with our famous handgun. Of course one can never deny the benefit of having a runesmith in a Throng, but is he necessary in that particular tourney? (The battles on the tourney are not going to have especially stong magic, for only 1 power dice generated above winds of magic roll is allowed).

I look forward to hear your words of advice and yet again, feel very glad to have an opportunity to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits dwarfs.  :drinks:

#2 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'd take a runesmith personally, but I'd also change your lord to a thane. at 1200pts your lord is close to 300pts, plus BSB and runesmith your close to another 200-300pts there (depending on runes) meaning only 600-700pts on troops, which I don't think is enough.

#3 Rayn Oathforge

Rayn Oathforge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

In that small points amount and with Leadership 10, do you really need a Thane BSB? It certaintly does not hurt, but if you took it out you could fit both the Runesmith and ME. A matter of personal preference, but food for thought.

Some have found luck using Dragonslayers to guard artillery. High WS and only 55 points.

#4 Dron Zharr

Dron Zharr

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'd take a runesmith personally, but I'd also change your lord to a thane. at 1200pts your lord is close to 300pts, plus BSB and runesmith your close to another 200-300pts there (depending on runes) meaning only 600-700pts on troops, which I don't think is enough.

I am taking the Lord for two reasons, because I can field a unit of longbeards without having to take warriors, and also because I often play with a foul vampires, which tend to have a nasty blender leading them and I need to counter the damn thing with an equal punch.

In that small points amount and with Leadership 10, do you really need a Thane BSB? It certaintly does not hurt, but if you took it out you could fit both the Runesmith and ME. A matter of personal preference, but food for thought.

Some have found luck using Dragonslayers to guard artillery. High WS and only 55 points.

Aye, the reason I took the Thane is because the VC player (a good lad who introduced me to WFB and sold me his Dawi so I could start this hobby), often took a spirit host to accept a challange issued by my lord, so I figured a Thane with a mere rune of speed could hack the abomination with ease. But perhaps it is unwise to form a Throng that is only fit for a specific player. 

The tourney is in Wrocław by the way, but I don't suppose there are that many players from here on the Brewery. Or mayhaps I am wrong?

#5 Griegsson

Griegsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Choosing between the two, and given the rest of your list, a runesmith will do more.  If you had two grudge throwers I might be tempted by the ME.

You might like to reconsider the runes on your Lord as well.  He will go down to a lot of the vampire builds that you are likely to face.  For Vampire killing I would take Shieldbearers, Shield, MRoSteel, RoResistance, RoPreservation, RoMight (with 10 points to spare if you want to use them e.g. RoStriking).

#6 The Viking Stig

The Viking Stig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Definately runesmith. The ME doesn't provide any benefit to your cannon, and getting his benefits for a single GT is likely to be less valuable than magic defense (especially vs undead). MRoBalance and 1 RoSpellbreaking would be my choice. If you've got time to paint the model l'd also give the lord shieldbearers- +2 AS and extra attacks for 25 points that don't come out of his runic allowance is huge. RoPreservation, Stone and Spite will see him survive any vampire, and still have points for a runic axe. Though at this level l'd still be tempted to go for a Thane instead, and add more bodies, hammerers for preference, followed by GW warriors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: runesmith, war machine, master engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users