9 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Rune

Steel Rune

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I am going to play in my first tournament next month. Its 1500 points and I haven't made a list yet. but I do know what I want to do for a general.

I was hoping to use a Thane general with Rune of Stone, Master rune of Gromiril,and Rune of Resistance. If this is allowed I'm getting a thane with a 2+ rerolable armor save.I think this would be a great strategy as a big part of he tournament rules is keeping the general alive. Plus, I still have a few points left over for offensive runes.

However my pdf is a bit vague on whether or not Rune of stone combines with Master Runeof Gromiril. In the rule book it says that the armor saves "can't be improved in any way". Can I use this combination, or am I being a little thick?

#2 Come2MeCaroline

Come2MeCaroline

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Master Rune of Gromril
Rune of Preservation
Rune of Resistance

In my opinion at least, beefy as HELL. A 1+ rerollable save and immunity to killing blow and poison is pretty dorf-mazing.

Rune of Stone wo'nt Improve Gromril, since the save cannot be improved in any way. But it's already a 1+ so I don't get where your 2+ comes from.

#3 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

MRGromril gives you a 1+ save.  Stone does not add to it (and even if it did would not make it 2+).

Also, do you not have a legitimate copy of the army book? You certainly should, especially if you are entering tournaments.

Edited by Ok Okri, 15 February 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#4 Gudrik Ironhand

Gudrik Ironhand

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

The Master Rune of Gromril is 1+ armour save that cannot be improved as Ok Okri said. I believe you thought it gives +1 to armour save as Rune of Stone.

#5 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

or am I being a little thick?

Honestly..? Yeah, a little :P

The master rune of gromril puts you at 1+ straight away, regardless of what else the character has (gromril, runes of stone, shield, shieldbearers), and as the description says; It cannot be improved in any way.

Actually, the rune of stone next to the master rune of gromril is allowed. It's a legal combination: but the rune of stone just doesn't do anything in this case.

Edited by the bearded one, 15 February 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#6 Steel Rune

Steel Rune

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

Alright, it looks like I was misreading some of the rules. Thanks for setting me striaght  :)

#7 FullFatMayo

FullFatMayo

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

The only way this could be vaguely useful is some spells that nullify magical items.

The chances of coming up against these is almost none from my experience

#8 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

those magical affects would nullify the magic armour, and therefore all of the runes on the armour.

if anyone has heard of a warhammer affect that nullify single runes, i'd love to hear about it.

there would be no reason to make the build including a rune of stone imo, but i don't think that was the point being made above by TBO.

Mrune of gromril, res. and rune of stone is allowed, but still is a waste of 5 points.

#9 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

The only way this could be vaguely useful is some spells that nullify magical items.

The chances of coming up against these is almost none from my experience

How would that help, nullifying magic item would take out all the runes on the armour so gromril and stone would be useless.

@Steel Rune: Do you have a proper army book? If not go and get one, esp if you are planning to go to a torniment as you wil need an army book to back up any army rules that are questioned as well as an upto date FAQ from the GW website.

#10 Steel Rune

Steel Rune

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have a army book, but its in pretty bad condition so I ordered a new one. I've never read the FAQ from GW so I guess I'll get on that. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thane, runes, rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users