11 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Rune

Steel Rune

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

I recently started building a dwarf army and haven't had much luck so far. My warmachines do well against the Skaven and Ogres I play but then the Gutstars and the skaven mages reach my warriors and everything falls apart.

I know that I will need experience, but I can't help thinking that the Anvil would be a great boon for a new player. There is a guy in my group who will sell me one for $40 bucks, and I am seriously considering taking him up on the offer. I am still young so every cent I manage to set aside for my army is solid gold. 

Do all you Long-beards think that the Anvil is worth breaking my piggy-bank for?

#2 Grezz

Grezz

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

I may not be a longbeard but my thoughts are the anvil is a great edition but you really need to be using at least 2000 points, 2500 is better. Also a unit of miners with the anvil is a great combo. Be warned that it can blow up  and leave you crippled. I personally never understood how some ancient and powerful Rune weapon thats been around for a 1000 years has a 1 in 36 chance of exploding every time you use it be such is the dwarven burden:) I personally have had a lot of success with the anvil and even though it really only either lets you get a move/charge in shooting or lets you slow down and do some damage to an important enemy unit it. coupled with with a unit of miners popping up behind or beside a unit and then getting to charge can be great. Dont think I have ever found a reason to use the Rune of hearth and Home in 8th edition since fear and terror really are not what they used to be in 7th.Just my thoughts.

Grezz

Edited by Grezz, 04 February 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#3 Steel Rune

Steel Rune

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Gee, thanks for the quick reply!

Something I just realized, I could start saving up for a kit of Hammers (which I also don't have). 

What do you think? Anvil of Doom now or Hammers latter? 

#4 TheBeardlessDwarf

TheBeardlessDwarf

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

My advice: don't buy an anvil. Convert one. Anvils are centerpieces of dwarf armies. Would you really want your center piece to be identifiable as the same centerpiece a bajillion other dwarf players want? Do your own! I made a platform of stone for mine using a 40mm round base on a 60mm round base and carving runes into it using my sprue cutters, then constructed an anvil out of polystyrene (plasticard), mounted it on a 20mm square base, cut some runes out of the polystyrene to decorate it with, added the RL+anvil guard. I spend $8 on the bag of various-size round bases to have extra to practice carving into as well as the two I needed for the platform, and the plasticard was $2. I spent $10 for an anvil that actually looks nice and is totally unique to my army (even down to my RL's name inscribed around the anvil in runes). Why would you want to instead drop $40 on the same center piece half of dwarfdom has?

#5 Swordthain

Swordthain

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

As long as the base is the right size, building your own is an excellent idea at this point. I personally love the current GW model, so I was more than willing to shell out the cash. I'm actually considering purchasing one of the new finecasts. But I'm also going to make one of my own from scratch, just for the fun and imagination I anticipate in doing so.

#6 FullFatMayo

FullFatMayo

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

If u are not intending on playing in tournaments and are just playing with friends i would proxy one until you have enough money or make one. This may not suit you as i know people who would never in a million years proxy a model but if u don't mind then this is a good idea

#7 Grim Stoki

Grim Stoki

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

In general, I believe it's not a good idea to buy a model because you think it gives you and edge during a game. What happens when a new book comes out and the model is no good anymore? Buy models you like the look and feel off, that will give you more return on investment.

#8 Captn Morgrim

Captn Morgrim

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Buildin an anvil fer yerself is a time-'onoured Dwarven tradition, so indeed I support the suggestion that ye should build one of yer making, be it plasticard, polystyrene, or whate'er ye got at hand. A handy thing to use as an anvil is that mining cart from the Miners set. There's a lot things brilliant drunks, ahem, dwarves here at the brewery converted it into.

#9 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

I made my own, but recently picked up the Thorek set with prize support from a local tournament. Haven't unboxed it yet, but may well do so, soon. Which of course, will rekindle my sordid romance with the Anvil of Doom, inevitably leading to heartbreak and a stint in the Pit of Shades within my tortured soul. 

#10 Grim1

Grim1

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

i love the (new??) anvil, and it's even better with kraggi at the forge.

the older one was good... but shame about the wheels.

#11 Steel Rune

Steel Rune

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

My friend gave me a better deal on the anvil. I decided to take it as I have neither the time or the resources to covert one. Thanks for all the advice :)

Also that model is awesome!

#12 The Viking Stig

The Viking Stig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

I got an old anvil top from the previous version that was on wheels with the runelord who stands on top of it which l picked up for a song on ebay, and I'm going to mount it on a converted base using some chemical metal which you can get cheap from car shops, to make a unique centrepiece without spending lots of time of having to model the ornate top from scratch. I will go to town on the painting though with lots of OSL to make it look magical. I'm going to make it look like it's tapped into a magical lava flow. I just need some suitable anvil guards for it, but I have various old oop dwarves who will fit the bill though. On a related note I've just finished painting up a runesmith (the old one holding a staff in his right hand with an ancestor face on top) and l've painted the top of the staff to look like it's glowing red hot as it earths my opponent's unsporting magic and channels it safely into thexearth. I've done some OSL on that and it looks really sweet (considering it's my first ever attempt at OSL).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anvil, doom, cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users