18 replies to this topic

#1 Stupot

Stupot

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Good Afternoon fellow Dwarf fans!

I've been a long time viewer of this forum, first post so hello to all!

The reason I've finally taken the plunge and decided to leave a post is because I have a bit of a dilema involving Dwarf hammerers, they are easilly one of the best melee units a Dwarf player can have but unfortunately the models from GW, in my opinion are not the best and also they are extreamly pricey, and as a new homeowner who is getting married in the near future can't afford such luxuries.

As I wanted Hammerers in my army quite badly I decided to convert GW Warrior plastics to hammerers in the usual way, snip off weapon heads and replace with hammerers, use face plates etc... but decided that an army almost completely made up of warriors was not only a bit boring to look at but extreamly tedius to paint well.

I came accross a few places that sell Dwarf models to replace Hammerers but they are all quite costly, for example Gamezone and the like. I also saw Mantic Shieldbreakers but I'm worried about the scale in comparison to GW minis.

I also noticed that Avatars of War are doing a full Dwaf army for their new wargame and noticed that a 2 handed hammer unit was on the roster to be designed thanks to the Kickstarter, which could be a posibility but it could be a long time until they are completed.

My question is, does anyone have any other leads as to where I could get some cheap Dwarf Hammerer replacements from? Or should I use the very affordable Mantic Shieldbreakers or possibly wait for the Avatars of war Doomcrushers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Stupot.

#2 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Nothing I know of will be cheaper than Mantic, at least nothing you'd want. eBay hammerers always retain a decent price as there's lots of people in your boat.

Most decent indie's cast in metal and go for similar priceas per mini as you'd pay for GW metals.

#3 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

If you're planning to use them in games in GW stores, you'll not be allowed to play non-GW figures. I'm not keen on the Mantic figures myself, but I'm eagerly awaiting the new Avatars of War stuff. The rumour mill tells us that one day GW will be making multi-part plastic Hammerers/Ironbreakers, but I think thats more a wistful hope and definately won't be happening this side of forever. :S

#4 Stupot

Stupot

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Nothing I know of will be cheaper than Mantic, at least nothing you'd want.

Yeah I thought this might be the case.

If you're planning to use them in games in GW stores, you'll not be allowed to play non-GW figures.

That's fine I don't really play in GW stores anyway, thank you both for the advice, I'll have a look on ebay and see what it brings up.

#5 Dorack

Dorack

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

This is how I'm doing mine, all with caped bodies:

http://www.bugmansbr...rer-conversion/

#6 cros13

cros13

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

eBay hammerers always retain a decent price as there's lots of people in your boat.

Most decent indie's cast in metal and go for similar priceas per mini as you'd pay for GW metals.

Lies! Lies! Lies! :P there are bargains to be had on flea bay, i mean heck, i got a block of 20 marauder hammeres for less than half the price it would cost to buy 20 current models from gamesfailshop!

but we are still talking around 70 to 100 bucks, which is still quite expensive.

Personally i hate the Mantic figurines, if i were you, keep trolling ebay looking for deals while you wait for avitars of war... but god knows how long they will take to be done!

Rudolf.

#7 Sturmbrow

Sturmbrow

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

West Wind Games figures make a range called Dwarf Wars that have some famtastic ranges

I've just got a load of their "Varans Iron Guard" to use as Hammerers and they look the business.

#8 neZna1ka

neZna1ka

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I know what to make out of plastic warriors something else (wait for my new post ;) ) - it is very difficult, replace hammerers will perhaps Avatars of War miniatures. –ěr buy OOP hammerers - it`s great miniatures =)
neZnaika.

#9 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yeah I agree that eBay is your best choice. I once saw 20 unpainted metallic Hammerers go for like 20 dollars. Too bad I didn't need them :P

Oh and welcome to the Brewery! I hope you stick around :)

:hi:

#10 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

I kindof like the GW hammerers. They have good detail when you actually look at them, but yes they are expensive. Still I reccomend getting a full unit now while you can, as they will probably go to finecast or something, or perhaps be redone in plastic. In case of plastic, the pewter ones are still valuable. It's all about skipping the occasional lunch, or curbing vices and rechanneling their resources- for example, I suggest my friends reallocate their beer-money into something more permanent than brain damage until they reach their goal.

In short, I advise just buying them now or waiting for plastic when a new edition rolls out. You can pose them dynamically:

Posted Image

#11 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

I really don't like mantic games figures, but that's just personal taste. Don't really like GW's hammerers either, so I use IBs instead.

If you really want hammerers in your army, I'd wait for AoW minis.

#12 Sturmbrow

Sturmbrow

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Seriously

West wind

Take a look

#13 Kegtapper

Kegtapper

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Personally, I like the metal hammerers, but it is very expensive to build a large unit of them, and their pose is a bit monotonous. You can try mixing an assortment of different models for variety. I have a large unit of hammerers that is a mix of metal hammerers and cloaked warrior bodies with converted hammers and face shields. The unit looks quite good and is more dynamic than just an homogeneous model type.

#14 kera foehunter

kera foehunter

The Pirate Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Do what i did .make them!!! then you be happy
No one can make the figure what i like ..Because there figure don't have love and the cool factor

Edited by kera foehunter, 11 November 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#15 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Seriously

West wind

Take a look

Had it not been for eBay, I'd have gone this route 2 years ago :)

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 11 November 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#16 Stupot

Stupot

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys!

West winds models look great! I'd never even heared of them before and one particular unit could cirtainly serve as Hammerers. How are West Winds scales to standard GW Dwarfs? I won't be mixing them in the same unit but I will most cirtainly keep my 2 GW dwarf warrior units.

#17 Piru

Piru

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I bought that bear rider from WestWind, they are quite nice, solid and heavy models. The style is slightly different from GW, a bit more "organic" and a more sculpted feel. Scale comparison is a bit hard, since I only have the bear rider. I converted King Kazador on it without any problems so I think they might fit right in.

#18 Stupot

Stupot

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Sounds promising! Thanks for the info.

I think I'll get the iron guard from west wind and convert them, affordable models that can be easilly converted, great!

#19 G2knee

G2knee

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Oh man, the 6th ed hammerers were hideous. Be thankful for what you have LOL.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dwarf, hammerer, mantic, conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users