13 replies to this topic

#1 FWerpers

FWerpers

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hello!

I have had Dwarf miniatures for quite a while, and after a long break I have started painting again. However, I have come up with a question which I hope someone can answer:

On my Dwarf battalion box it says that 12 warriors and 12 longbeards are included. However, the longbeards on the box look just like warriors "upgraded" with facemasks.

On the other hand, if one buys longbeards from Games Workshop, they will be a whole different miniature.
So, what do longbeards typically look like?

#2 The Low King

The Low King

Grundadum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

You can get the plastic 'longbeards' wich are the same of warriors with facemasks and stuff. They are what Gw sells as longbeards.

Then there are the old metal longbeards wich are the ones you can get on the GW website, but only on the website (or ebay).

#3 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

I use the plastics to represent both warriors and longbeards. I use the facemasks for the longbeards, paint their beards whites and greys, and paint the details in gold to make them stand out from the warriors. The easiest thing to make the plastics into longbeards would be to just paint the beards white and greys to show their age.

#4 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

These are mine. I filed off the symbols to freehand some runes, and made conversions to their helmets:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Grix

Grix

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

These are mine. I filed off the symbols to freehand some runes, and made conversions to their helmets:

Posted Image
Posted Image

TBO where is the unit filler from?

#6 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

The unit filler looks like a pillar from LOTR and a BFSP dwarf model with a 6th eddition plastic axe. Correct?

#7 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

Some quality models there, TBO.

I really like the diversity of the dwarf warrior box, you can make anything! Throw in the extras from the miners and a few artillery boxes and you can easily make hammerers and ironbreakers as well as longbeards. To make my longbeards stand out I saved just about all (apart from one or two for champions) the cloaked bodies and had all my Longbeards cloaked, painted all their beards grey or white and did all their emblems in gold rather than bronze or silver, also where possible I popped some gems onto their armour (thanks to my misses' high elf sprues). I tend to reserve most of the face plates for my ironbreakers though =)

Edited by The Bearded Baron, 19 August 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#8 Babel Goldweaver

Babel Goldweaver

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Personally I love the metal longbreads, only sad they only exist with GW, would be nice with the same model with HW/shield. I don't think the plastic ones show enough experience and age as those in metal.. but thats just my opinion!

#9 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

I use the old warrior models as longbeards, which look alright.

#10 Thorin Brightshield

Thorin Brightshield

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

I grabbed Long beard command long ago and use that as Command, the rest of my long bears have fancy beards and cloaks.

Edited by Thorin Brightshield, 19 August 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#11 Eskabar

Eskabar

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Personally I love the metal longbreads, only sad they only exist with GW, would be nice with the same model with HW/shield. I don't think the plastic ones show enough experience and age as those in metal.. but thats just my opinion!

Those old boys are often used as hw/shield longbeards; the shield is just placed on the hand not wielding the axe :)

#12 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

So, what do longbeards typically look like?

Dwarfs with very long beards, it's as easy as that :) They're obviously older and will have acquired far more wealth than their shorter bearded companions, so would have better armour and weapons.

If you're comfortable with green stuff, extending some of the plastic mini beards wouldn't be a bad start :)

#13 FWerpers

FWerpers

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies :)
Those miniatures are very cool, the bearded one!

I will ask my next question in a separate thread.

#14 Mabey

Mabey

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

If you're comfortable with green stuff, extending some of the plastic mini beards wouldn't be a bad start :)

I've been considering converting some warriors to longbeards myself, do you know of any good examples of expanding the beards that somebody's already done? I think it would make them a bit more distinct if they had them piling nicely around their feet...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: longbeards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users