#1 cirrus

cirrus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hello Longbeards,
I'm absolutely new to this warhammer world of the dwarves and am still painting (and gluing) my army. I have no regards for the rules yet and just am "I swear too much"embling my army the way I want to paint it.

The games workshop where I buy my models is mostly focused on 40k, so I'm still painting.

I love dwarves, especially Gimli in the LOTR extended version (the dwarves are gone swimming with little hairy women!)

Do you have advice for a beardling? What to read?

I'm intending to make my own throng at home, with a mine and such so my little men can have fun. Karak Madraz.

I have at the moment: 1 box of Dwarf Warriors (4 painted), 1 box of quarrelers/hammerers (untouched), 1 organ gun (untouched), 1 thane (painting in progress), 1 High King (painting in progress).

What do you guys suggest to buy next. Also, I love slayers, although I don't have one yet, I'm reading the Gotrek and Felix anthology, thinking of buying the three omnibus and the dwarf omnibus that GW sells.

Greetings,
Cirrus

#2 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hello Longbeards,
Hello and welcome to the brewery!

I'm absolutely new to this warhammer world of the dwarves and am still painting (and gluing) my army. I have no regards for the rules yet and just am "I swear too much"embling my army the way I want to paint it.
If you don't know many things about the rules, you could start with the more simple Kings of War game.
Rules and army lists can be found here;
http://www.manticgam...bby/Gaming.html

I love dwarves, especially Gimli in the LOTR extended version
Who doesn't? :P

Do you have advice for a beardling? What to read?
You said you ain't really interested in the rules but hey!
I suggest this guide, on how to pick up your units, use them and make a good army list!
http://www.bugmansbr...dwarf-handbook/

I'm intending to make my own throng at home, with a mine and such so my little men can have fun. Karak Madraz.
Ooooh...Nice name! Good luck!

I have at the moment:
1 box of Dwarf Warriors (4 painted)
I suggest you arm them with Great weapons instead of shields (gamewise they work better)
1 box of quarrelers/hammerers (untouched)
Solid. Arm the quarrelers with great weapons too.
If you don't like the look of the axes strapped on their backs, the try to make a unit filler.
1 organ gun (untouched),
Solid.
1 thane (painting in progress)
What is he armed with?
In any case, when it comes to characters, BSB and runesmiths come first.
Depending on the model, you could easily count the thane as a runesmith.
1 High King (painting in progress).
You ain't gonna be using him very often (costs too much points for what he does).

What do you guys suggest to buy next.
Grudge Throwers, canons/organ guns.
For lists up to 1500p, I'd say you should have 1 Grudge Thrower, 2 canons and an organ gun in total.
Perhaps another box of warriors too.
I highly suggest you check out some alternative (and cheaper) miniature manufacturers to save some money!
Black Tree desigh, Battleforge miniatures and mantic miniatures sell some pretty good warmachines.
Also, I love slayers, although I don't have one yet.
Most people don't use them, but I say go for it. They are great fun to play!

Edited by Goldo, 20 July 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#3 Thunderforge

Thunderforge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hello and welcome! Sounds a good start to a solid army. As for reading I'd heartily recommend 'Dwarfs' a compendium of three stories (and some grudges too).
Thunderforge :D

#4 cirrus

cirrus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Here are my painted dwarves nicely packed in an album: http://www.bugmansbr...8-karak-madraz/

#5 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Luckily with dwarfs there are not a lot of units, warmachines or characters that ought to be instantly rejected from an armylist, so you're good with dwarfs when it comes to building an army out of models you simply like. There are only 2 things you really ought to stay away from: Daemonslayers, and flamecannons. Everything else is actually fair game, to be honest. Some stuff is more "optimal" of course, but there is little too bad to ever use. Anything from quarrelers with great weapons, to slayers to ironbreakers, it's all fine and will generally perform decent enough.

So in short: pick whatever you like the look of, it'll usually work on the field anyway (as long as the unit is a decent size, anyway. 5 ironbreakers aren't gonna do much in combat after all :P

As far as painting goes, you're on the right track. There's only one thing I'd advice really, and that is to use some shades (or "washes", as they used to be called) on the metals. A liberal dose of nuln oil or agrax earthshade, and watch that metal become awesome, with very little work. Just ask one of the staff at your local GW to show you how that works. You just pour the shade liberally over the metal, and then it dries and seeps into the deeper parts and creates an instant shade over the entire thing. The effect is really like you can't imagine, but it's a bit scary to try it for the first time, because it almost feels like you're messing up the model. I remember the first time I used shades when a staffer showed it to me in the local GW. At first it looked like you were ruining the model, pouring this stuff all over the skeleton I was painting, and then it dried and.. wow.

Edited by the bearded one, 20 July 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#6 cirrus

cirrus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

I have done a bit of the washes on the model. Nuln oil I have used on my very first painted dwarf.

#7 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Here's some of my own as example; these are some warrior models from the old starter set, which I used a regular basecoat of silver and gold, and then did a single shade of devlan mud (now replaced by agrax earthshade) over it. The key is to be really, very liberal with applying it. Pour quite a lot over it ;)

http://i26.photobuck...fs/DSC06808.jpg

Edited by the bearded one, 20 July 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#8 cirrus

cirrus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the picture. What can I do to advance my painting? (These are my first models after 2 40k models) these are much smaller.

Does somebody have some painting tips for this little beardling?

#9 kera foehunter

kera foehunter

The Pirate Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Slayer of cource . Only the great dwarf player use slayer. but yur beard is longer than mine

#10 cirrus

cirrus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

yes, but your hair is probably longer then mine, oh great dwarf maiden.

#11 Eskabar

Eskabar

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Just wanted to say, welcome!
It seems your questions have been addressed by the other beards far greater than myself ;)

Eskabar

#12 cirrus

cirrus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

I love this community of dwarf-lovers already. All are friendly.

#13 cheyne_m_hughes

cheyne_m_hughes

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

welcome to the hold

#14 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

I love this community of dwarf-lovers already. All are friendly.

And I apologize for not saying hello already. Welcome to the Brewery! Have a Pint on TBO's tab! :drinks:

#15 cirrus

cirrus

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Ok, send me a keg of Bugman's.

#16 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members