• 345 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

Posted Image

The flamboyant deeds of Kadri the Ironclad

Karak Vlag's resettlement war

And the deeds of other less notorious yet awesome dwarfs

Stewar's hold fluff master thread

*art by me http://stewanmaleno.deviantart.com/

Notice: I'm not 100% confident of my english speaking (and writing) skills, and theres a reason for that. So don't hesitate correct me when needed.

Posted Image

Chapter I BOLD BUSSINESS

2 years before the battle

The stranger walked the great halls of Karaz-a-Karak’s underground citadel with steady pace as he followed two sturdy looking gatekeepers to the throne room of the high king. Barely able to hide his amazement, he looked around while smoking his gromril pipe. He had never been there before, but often heard tales about the gigantic columns holding majestic stone vaults. Two lines of stone braziers adorned with fine carvings and encrusted with gold led the way through the vast hall. At the end of it, a m"I swear too much"ive threshold welcomed the visitor to the end of the vault. There laid the glorious throne of power and upon it, the high king Thorgrim Grudgebearer. The four thronebearers stood proud beside the throne. As the gatekeepers stood at the threshold one of them announced. “Kadri Snorrison has been granted audience”
Thorgrim was younger than Kadri had expected, but he displayed a thick and magnificent gray beard. Fit into his throne was a small table for him to have supper. “He may come closer”
Kadri went on and kneeled before the throne, leaning on his bulky hammer he spoke.
“I’m afraid I come to talk about a rather unpleasant matter. I will ask you my king to bear with it, for it is of great importance to our kin.
The king gulped some ale to help swallow the wild hog meat. “Well speak then, it’s getting late”
Kadri looked him in the eye and uttered the two words which seemed to resonate all over the throne room. “Karak Vlag”
The thronebearers’s glance of surprise didn’t go unnoticed by the King, nor unexpected by Snorrison.
A cold silence followed, until broken by Kadri again. “I have taken account of every consideration to be made about this issue, so I would wish to cut to the point and discuss my intensions right now”
Thorgrim gazed severely at his visitor while drinking the rest of his ale. “Well haste your mouth then. You seem to know well how serious your words are”
Kadri continued. “I know indeed my king, and I gave it the proper amount of consideration before standing here. The truth is that this is a topic which has been neglected long enough. For not only was this a critical location to stop the advance of northern raids, but its also an insult to all of us that remains unpaid”
“So is ever lost hold” Interrupted Thorgrim vigorously. “What business do we have with this one in particular? Which lies far from our reach now”
Snorrison went on unnerved. “I have come around the resources necessary to raise an army and ensure the location to settle and rebuild Karak Vlag”
The king leaned back with a sigh, his stare was fixed on his stubborn visitor. For several minutes his thoughts wandered. In the meanwhile Kadri remained still, until the king broke the silence. “Why do you seek my approval? You could do this as a private enterprise”
Kadri remained grim and answered. “Although my deepest motives are personal, I do not pursue my goal only for myself. Our former glory can be regained, and vengeance is ought to be achieved.
“Very well then” Answered the king immediately “Prove your worth and you shall have my support. Show me that your words do not lead to certain death and I will help you” Snorrison bowed as the king kept talking. “These words come with no threat, for upon failure only lies your doom. You may go now”
Kadri stood and left with whatever torment his eyes kept. He lit his pipe again and followed the gatekeepers back into the tunnels.

Chapter II THE DREAM

7 months before the battle

The snow was tainted with the dark blood of his foes and the wind carried screams of madness and flames. Faceless abominations trusted their nasty talons into his guts, reaping the links of his chainmail, tearing bloody wounds all over. Still he fought, his hammer swinging wide breaking the countless limbs coming at him, crushing deep into the deformed skulls, causing his foes to blow up in gory explosions of bones and blood and laughter.

From the mountain paths they came, from all four directions they swarmed the valley, pushing and piling all around him. But he was the eye of a storm of metal, still smashing the shapeless spawns and crazed beasts into the blood swamped ground forming a nasty black mud. He could see everyone else had fallen, the war machines had been overrun and scorched down to molten pieces of junk.

But he kept going, parting arms and heads from their twisted bodies, like the cold wind striking again and again without rest. His beard was burnt by the ever coming flames, and he felt countless maws of all sizes gnawing his entire body.

He fell to his knees, deep into the gooey mud. Overcome by enemies, shadow wrapped him and foul hands stole bits of his armor and flesh into the absolute darkness. He felt he was about to fall into the bottomless depths but instead he felt the ground, as solid as he could ever imagine the very foundations of the earth. High peaks rose around him in a feast of cracking stone and thunder. From the molten rock and black clouds the veins of fiery iron rose into the sky. Among the mountains the emerging iron flow reached the storm clouds, lightning bolts smiting it with fury.

His eyes filled with tears of awe, among the spire of clouds rose a colossal hammer, scorching iron red, higher than the tallest peaks. He felt a sudden surge of strength kick in, rising out of the darkness with an unbelievable feeling of might he screamed. His arms and legs and beard turned into dark iron. He wielded the hammer in his hand and his own iron body began to heat up. He glanced at his terrified foes and released his fury into the broken mass of demons. Each swing of the hammer projected thundering waves of fire that spread across the fleeing horde. In a final motion he lifted the hammer and struck the ground with all his strength, the clash caused the world to tremble.

Kadri woke up with a huge burp, after a few seconds he recognized the inn room. The rising sun could be seen out of the window, bringing light to the snowy fields around the city. He walked still heavy footed from the sleep (and ale) and opened the window to take a deep breath of cold air. He thought of his dream and smiled.

This might be a good day; the people of Praag would be familiar with his situation.

Edited by Stewar, 17 July 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#2 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

It will kind of hard to resettle Karak Vlag when according to the Dwarf scouts from Karaz-a-Karak who went to Karak Vlag in the year 2301 and reported back that there was no longer any trace what so ever that the Dwarf hold ever existed... No trace remained... It was as if the Chaos Gods absorbed the mountain itself into the Chaos Wastes...

Still your story is well received and I will wait for each installment to appear... Have a tankard of ale on my tab...

#3 Stewar

Stewar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Thank you.
Im well aware of the misterious cir"I swear too much"tances involving the dissapereance of the hold, and its acording to that that I have lot of stuff in mind for this thread.
Also I plan to make it an easy read, and besides a central storyline, it will be compound by many short stories surounding it

Which by the way makes me come up with a much better title.

Edited by Stewar, 17 July 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#4 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

In one of my many short stories of Kraka Draka I wrote about about a Kislev Winged Hussar regiment responding to the battle of horn of a lone Dwarf surrounded by Chaos warriors fighting to save the life of a wee dawi babe. They were the last of Karak Vlag...

#5 Stewar

Stewar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Well that sounds like something Id have to check on.
Itsa a bit overwhelming to arrive to a forum filled with extensive fluff threads.
So for now my homework is reading "Dwarfs" (the book) which a friend got for me (Bloody high elves they do know how to make a good gift)

#6 Snugg Thistlehammer

Snugg Thistlehammer

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yes, Stewar, please keep up with this thread. I like your writing style, especially the first paragraph of chapter 2.

#7 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

There's a few cases of paid fluff writers taking a thread and essentially running a parallel narrative to the "official" GW canon. Either way, there's enough mystery surrounding Karak Vlag that it should make for some interesting narrative, even acceptable narrative. No-one has said the reclamation of the Hold will be in the Old World ;) The stubborness of Dwarfs is legendary after all. They won't let a small matter of a Hold being taken into another plane of existence trouble them. There's a principle at stake!

#8 Rinn Zylra

Rinn Zylra

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

They won't let a small matter of a Hold being taken into another plane of existence trouble them. There's a principle at stake!

I agree with Alebelly.... Let not the Prime Directive get in the way of good fluff!!!

#9 Stewar

Stewar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thanks guys, I'll better keep motivated and keep writing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resettlement, vlag, karak, desolation, hold, fluff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users