156 replies to this topic

#1 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Ok, so anyone who has viewed my dwarf oop topic will know that some gobbo pictures have been slipping in (sneaky gits !!) So i've decided to start a seperate topic to show off my little goblin raiding force. To begin with i should probably say i love Kev Adams goblins, but only the early stuff circa85, so there's not a great deal of figures out there, so this force is never going to get anywhere near to the amount of dwarfs i've got. The main reason i started collecting/painting goblins was to give me a break from my dwarfs, goblins are so much easier to paint. Anyway on with the pictures, i should warn you i've been reading up on how to take photo's, so these actually look ok !!!

Chariot
gob200.jpg
gob202.jpggob201.jpg

Chariot (work in progress)
gob203.jpg
gob204.jpggob205.jpg

Edited by dazza36, 12 October 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#2 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Grobi-filth! Love the wolf chariot with the heads :)

#3 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Good going Dazza, how do you paint that skin? They look great, did you allready use the skythes you made yourself on them?
One thing, the pics are really good but the Blue Background has "Stripes" probably from printing, maybe I am going crazy but its hard to concentrate on the models.
Edit: Yeah, if I am the only one having probems please ignore me ;)

Keep it going! Still hate Greenskins ( I have about 2000 points of Goblins just that I can scream at them)

Edited by Theatralic, 03 July 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#4 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

love them - makes me want to finish off mine( My dawi keep pushing them back into their unpainted boxes)

#5 Lord Bear

Lord Bear

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

They look great,love the wood on the wheels

#6 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

@Alebelly: Yeah i really like that head as well, not sure but i think its meant to be a dwarf :treaten:

@Theatralic: Its not your eyes, running out of ink when i printed the background.The 2nd chariot that i'm painting at the moment has some of my scythes on it. The skin is very easy, all paints are Vallejo.

Base : VMC Reflective Green
Wash : VMC Reflective Green + VMC Black Grey watered down
1st Highlight : VMC Reflective Green
2nd Highlight : VMC Reflective Green + VGC Dead Flesh
Wash : VGC Royal Purple + water
Then final highlight of VMC Reflective Green + VGC Dead Flesh. Obviously you can take longer with the highlighting adding smaller amounts of Dead flesh to the base colour but thats the basic idea.

@Fanai : Thanks, like i said i stared to paint them as a break from my dwarfs.

@Lord Bear: Thanks, the wood was one of the first times i've used GW washes, infact the goblins have all been painted with them which is a first for me.

#7 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

Here's some pictures of the wolfriders i painted a while ago which you may have seen in my oop dwarf topic, but again much better photo's than the originals.

Posted Image

The Boss
Posted Image

The rest
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

In these photos i think you can clearly see my issue with GW snow, as its made up of small strands of white flock (just like grass flock) you just don't get that natural look when its dry. Thats why i've not put any snow on the chariot base, i'm looking at other companies products so might end up putting snow down or might re-do these wolfriders to look like the chariot. Anyway hope you like and back to painting !!!

#8 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

The GW snow doesn't look too bad, but the older tutorials they had on their website looked like a very different "rounder" grain. This stuff would look great for saled mountain ranges for epic scale games, but I agre, the gras strands under close scrutiny look a little off.

Getting some great natural fur fades though, nice. At some time in the distant furture I'll have 10 wolf riders to paint up and have no idea how I'll tackle it yet, lol :)

#9 BloodyBeast.com

BloodyBeast.com

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Very nice OOP models. Great paintjob.
I make snow by adding white paint to PVA (white glue for wood). This works really good.

#10 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I make snow by adding white paint to PVA (white glue for wood). This works really good.

Interesting tip, may give that a go - 50/50 mix?

#11 Lord Kael

Lord Kael

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I love the basing on your models! Good basing is a skill that is still in development for me! :buba:

#12 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Interesting tip, may give that a go - 50/50 mix?

yes very interesting, i too would like to know the ratio and would love to see any pictures you've got.

@Lord Kael: Trust me my base's are very easy, you can see on the second chariot, its just simple Filler that i've spread out on a flat surface then when dried just broken up into pieces.

#13 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've did snow bases for my Dark Elves....

Posted Image

...and found that if you applied flock directly to the bases with pva you needed to do about 3 applications for it to become opaque. Then you aproached the realms of the snow appearing to be too deep.

So you either need to add your snow mix of pva, flock and white paint on to the base and maybe re-apply a second time when the first layer dries out or even better, paint a white patch where you intend the snow to go and then apply the mix. I find painting the area first gives a more pleasing result.

It's easy to play about with the ingredients, pour out your pva add a little white paint then you can judge how much flock to add for a workable consistency.

For a fresh snow appearance, once the bases have dried, water down some pva so that it can be brushed onto the existing snow and sprinkle on some snow flock and tap off the excess.

#14 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

@Darkblade: Thanks for the suggestion, can i ask what snow flock you use as the look you've achieved with your DE is just what i'm going for.

#15 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

@Darkblade: Thanks for the suggestion, can i ask what snow flock you use as the look you've achieved with your DE is just what i'm going for.

It's GW snow, glad it helped.

#16 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

So got my snow spray today, couldn't stop myself from using it straight away !! I'm happy with the end result and i'm sure with more practice i'll get more control over it. The good thing for me is that it doesn't go hard just sticky, so i was able to brush off areas that i wanted less coverage. This would mean it probably wouldn't be good for gamers unless you could seal it somehow. Anyway pictures.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Will need to do some touching up from having to de-tab the wolfs, but its a good start. Now i'll just have to re-do the wolfriders :P

#17 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Very nice. Interested to know if it dries out with time, so that it could be used by gamers with a bit of care...

EDIT:

You able to s"I Swear too much"e lines in it, to look like cart tracks behind the wheels? That would look epic!

Edited by Alebelly_Cragfist, 17 July 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#18 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

That's looking pretty good, I'm defo interested. When you say you were able to brush off the snow, I take it that would include any you got on the chariot of wolves in the spraying process?

@Alebelly were you attempting to spell 'scra pe'? If so yeah it's a great idea especially if the snow is that 'workable'

Thanks for the update Dazza! :drinks:

#19 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

@DB, yeah, filter ftl :/

#20 the bearded one

the bearded one