5 replies to this topic

#1 Monk

Monk

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

Here is a quick photo presentation of my Mantic Quarrellers being magnetised. It is photo heavy (worth a thousand words . . etc). Mantics are unique because of their 2 section basing system.

1. I use rare earth magnets on sheet metal trays. There are 2 sizes, smaller for plastics and larger for top heavy and metal minis. The key is to make sure the magnet ends up flush with the base and therefore able to touch the sheet metal. That is one on the end of my drill bit (same diameter).
Posted ImagePosted Image

2. Clean off the bases and ensure they rank well. Unfortunately there are only 2 poses and this front rank will not fit behind any other minis. :treaten:
Posted ImagePosted Image
3. Once ranked I score each base for easier allignment later on.
Posted Image
4. I pre-score with a file to ensure my drill doesn't jump and of course clean up the left over filings.
Posted ImagePosted Image

More to come if people like it.

Edited by Monk, 05 June 2012 - 03:22 AM.

#2 Monk

Monk

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

5. Place some superglue into the base and spread it carefully with the magnet on the end of drill bit. Then turn over the base and gently press magnet into the relatively snug hole. There should only be minimal glue (less mess).
Posted ImagePosted Image

6. Leave the magnet sticking out a small amount. Turn it over and press down onto a piece of scrap paper with a hard, flat surface underneath. This should force the magnet to sit flush with the bottom surface. Don't leave for more than 1 sec or glue starts to stick to the paper.
Posted ImagePosted Image

7. Flip over again and press your mini into the correctly alligned position.
Posted Image

All done, ready for basing, undercoat and painting!

Edited by Monk, 06 June 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#3 Monk

Monk

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

Part 3 - Magnetising home made great weapons.

I have found that I have many axe & hammer heads in my bits box and of course always a shortage of GW wielding minis. For quarrellers this has proven a simple conversion that will allow me to alternate between GW and non-GW's (depending on my list).
Quite simply a nail of appropriate length glued into the pre-drilled hammer/axe head. Metal shaft means easy to magnetise.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Monk, 05 June 2012 - 03:21 AM.

#4 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

I like the GW magnetization. Creative.

#5 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

Most excellent Monk. :dwarf:

I'll be getting my wee magnets tomorrow and seeing what I can do about removable shields. Are you planning on doing any of those?
Posting here, for collaberation: http://www.bugmansbr...m-with-wysiwyg/

#6 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thank you Monk, I am not a fan of the Mantic Dwarfs, they are nice but not for my personal taste. That doesn`t Change the fact that this a Great and helpfull Tutorial! Especially the Idea with the Great Weapons :-).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: basing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users