#381 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

Looking great, excellent idea of using those geodes.

Are you going to leave them as they are or would you consider painting them in the future?

#382 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Thanks! They would not take paint well, since their tranparancy is the key to their sparkle. I'm not 100% satisfied with the spaces between some of the chunks, especially on the floor, so I might put some really fine white sand down to fill some gaps.

#383 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:28 AM

Here's another view of the finished products. A few seams visible.

IMG_3101_zpslplxxy70.jpg

#384 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

Alright fellows, I've been hard at work on fiddly bits in the mines. I've completed the rooms in the front of the mines, which I'm now calling the "break room". I gave the whole thing new highlighting, which brought out the reliefs and details of the stone, and gave the stone a little color as well. I then got to work making furniture. The center piece is a chair and desk which is taken from this forum's Gladeflower, our main inspiration. I've always loved his desk and chair, so I made a slightly slimmed down version. Also a table and bureau:

IMG_3107_zpsirjyts4k.jpg

As this place is a safe resting place in the frontier of the mines, it needs a bit of protection. There are sturdy doors and even a portcullis. The medium-sized room attached to the breakroom is like a mud room, and has a wash basin, hanging clothes, and tool rack.

IMG_3108_zpsxztxpxbh.jpg

In this last view you can see a tub in a closet off the break room for cleaning up after a long day mining. What is supposed to be a white towel hangs nearby. Also visible is the wood stove in the breakroom for brewing up a pot of tea.

IMG_3109_zpsjwducjy6.jpg

I still have several more stations in the mines to complete, but things are coming together! These rooms were fun, because they called back to the dorm level and gave me a bit of a break from painting rocks.

#385 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Those rooms look so cool! Nice details!

#386 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Very impressive, especially when remembering how hard it is to do all this stuff. 

#387 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

I've finished the elevator! I've had this piece planned for a long time- it's an elevator that connects the mines with the forge, so ore can be smelted and such. It passes through the dorm level in one continuous shaft, taking up parts of each level that were set aside long ago for this purpose.

Here is the elevator carriage and upper section under construction:
IMG_3129_zpsus1n6pqn.jpg

Here is the finished product. There are chains connecting the four corners of the carriage to the ceiling, and two more chains going down the back of the shaft (one to the gears and one to the counter weight). The carriage is big enough to hold four dudes or one mining cart.
IMG_3150_zpsoshkfkyn.jpg

Here is lower landing. The gears which power the elevator (it doesn't actually move) pull a chain that looks like it connects all the way up to the top of the shaft. A stone counter weight takes up the back of the shaft:
IMG_3151_zpsecrqtf14.jpg

Here is the finished product with the whole fort. The elevator is built in sections, each belonging to the level of the fort is passes through. This way the elevator comes apart as the fort comes apart, and I don't need to worry about it sticking above or below a level I remove. Two chains hang down from the upper part all the way to the lower part, but I wasn't worried about these breaking.
IMG_3145_zps14vwdtkr.jpg

I'm getting much closer to finishing the mines! My twin has started making me some fiddly bits that I'm excited for, and the whole level might be finished up in a week or two.

(Also, I set about a million traps and killed a second mouse which had chewed up the dorm level. I patched a hole in the garage, and I've had no more trouble with mice since then.)

Edited by Steven, 04 April 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#388 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:25 PM

Simply amazing! Elevators and mines are one of the most exciting things about underground dwellers of any sort. That's +100 to the atmosphere of your stronghold! And as for mice, that's normal - what dwarves are dwarves without fighting all the kind of things keeping all the treasures? ;)

#389 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:21 AM

Thank Thor!

I've almost got another update ready; we've been doing lots of work on the mines lately. This weekend, however, my wife and I went out of town, and I found a little hobby store in one of the small towns we drove through. I stopped in of course, and was very pleased to see a gaggle of old dwarf models for sale. I was even happier when I saw the price! I got this whole load of dudes and artillery for $20!

IMG_3185_zpsdfi9dehu.jpg

The guys running the store didn't know what they had, and I about cleared them out. Looks like I'll have some more minis to paint.

#390 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

Aye, good addition to your defences! And they seem to be of good quality too!

#391 Dethos

Dethos

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Pure awesomeness  :o

#392 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

I've finished the mines! After a little over a month of retexturing the walls, reshaping rooms and shafts, and adding all sorts of details, the mines are done.

Here is an overview of the whole level:
IMG_3201_zpsvxqng6yv.jpg

The breakroom, with a few more fun details, like paperwork and a kettle:
IMG_3202_zpssyd02czt.jpg

Right in the center of the level is a staircase leading down from the dorm above. In the large chamber there I carved through the floor and added a well. You can also see lanterns hanging on the wall. My twin made these in Seattle on a 3D printer and mailed them to me. I've sit up about ten of them in the mine:
IMG_3203_zpsswhsroho.jpg

A sifting box ("rocker box") in the gravel room. There is a signpost in the background, pointing to "quarry", "underpass", and "side track":
IMG_3204_zpshb6gwckb.jpg

Here is the quarry where blocks are cut out of the mountain. The rail tracks start here. A pony and cart carry some towards the elevator:
IMG_3205_zpszrcrihex.jpg

The tracks lead over a ravine (part of the lowest level, below the mines) held up by supports:
IMG_3212_zpseediksyf.jpg

The end of the tracks, up near the elevator:
IMG_3209_zpsg4kz3jue.jpg

This room is the gen-cutting room, with a grindstone and a tool rack made by my twin:
IMG_3206_zpsqvjtcvnq.jpg

Some more pictures:
IMG_3211_zpsix9dudjg.jpg

IMG_3207_zpsnkzahkq2.jpg

Here is the store room in the corner of the mines, with some sides of beef hanging on hooks. This room is directly below the dorm's store room, and the two are connected by a staircase. The bricked up wall in the background is partially collapsed, possibly allowing things snooping around the mines to infiltrate the dorm:
IMG_3210_zpsm7wqhcdv.jpg

IMG_3214_zps2x6geb11.jpg

While I was enlarging the store rooms I fixed up the adjoining kitchen in the dorm:
IMG_3215_zpsxb5aeelo.jpg

IMG_3216_zps0h8nbsnp.jpg

Ive now completed the gatehouse, the great hall, the forge, the dorm, and the mines. All the levels I began in the past are now finished! It feels like I'm all caught up, and I'm very pleased.

Edited by Steven, 18 April 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#393 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Amazing, simply amazing, this is a titanic amount of work. Such details! Will you add additional rooms in the future, like libraries and stores?

#394 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Thanks Thor! Back on page 12 we finished the dorm level, and that has a library, dining hall, bunks, and a bunch of other cool rooms in it. The library is just about my favorite part of the fort (once again we have to thank Gladeflower, from whom we lifted a great deal of inspiration).

#395 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Oh, apologies then, I've forgotten about that (but not the dorm level!). Then the fortress is complete actually?

#396 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

After five long years of work, the five levels of the dwarf fort are complete!

However, the dwarf fort sits atop a sixth level, which is untouched to this day. The only thing on this bottom-most level is the short section of the mines that underpass the rail tracks, the rest of it is just unadorned foam and the wooden board that serves as a foundation for the mountain. I've always had intentions for these depths, and now that I've finished the half-done parts above I can begin work on them. For the first time in four years I'll be starting a whole level of the fort from a blank canvas.

#397 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

Good news! but what do you plan? more mines? some deep levels with... maybe goblins?

#398 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

The Caves, the bottom level, will be a wild and haunted place. Limestone caverns formed long before the dwarfs will twist around underground lakes and be home to forests of stalagmites. The crypt of the dwarfs, on an island in the subterranean lake, will be the only sign of civilization. It will not be a place for the meek to wander.

Mechanically, I'm aiming for a level wherein the floor is partitioned not with walls, but mesas of sorts, 1 and 2 inch raised ground that are also playable terrain. This way the whole of the mines level is a labyrinth of upper and lower elevations, broken by water features, walls of stalagmites, and spotted with natural bridges connecting upper areas. As much of the Caves as possible will be be playable, making it more like a 3x3 foot game board than a cut-away of underground passages.

That's my hope anyway. I'll be starting in the next week on that or some painting. Either way, I'll have some updates in the next month.

#399 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

Interesting thoughts! You can then also make a dock at the lakes from which the ships sail across the underground rivers up the surface!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: terrain, project, wip, mine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users