7 replies to this topic

#1 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Well met, my friends. I have barely wiped my feet before I've shot straight into asking questions! My beard may be nowhere near as long as some here so bear with me when it comes to understanding the lingo. My question is; i've seen many a dwarf player boast about or post pictures of their sunken movement trays, usually for artillery pieces. The movement trays where you essentially fill in the gaps between model bases with some sort of packing material and then scenery the top of it making the whole thing look like a single base but with removable models. I am still brushing up on the rules of play here but I realise this is because the cannon crew must stand up front and away from their cannon. So, I realise this may seem like a small detail for some but I would really appreciate some insight by my elders in the form of a guide to making this style of base. I think I have a fair grasp on the materials and concept of it (despite not knowing the exact name for this technique nor finding much of anything via google!)

To make explaining this simple feat to me all the easier here is what I have to work with:

Battle for Skull Pass Cannon and Crew
Engineer
Every movement base in GW's selection (>.<)

Now I am looking to mount the cannon and crew on their own separate small bases (circular for the cannon, square for the crew and engineer) but for them all to fit into a larger scenery piece.

A fresh cask for the first dawi to help me out here!

#2 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

There are two ways to do it.

1) Fill a movement tray with millyput putty (you can order it here) leaving gaps for the miniatures bases.

2) Make a base out of thick cardboard/plasticard and cut gaps for the miniatures bases.
To prevent them from falling through, add a thin cardboard/plasticard bottom

#3 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

You will need FOAMBOARD if you want to cut out room for bases, it comes in various thicknesses just place the different bases on where you want them to be trace them on to the foamboard and cut out , then base as you normally would. Here's one of mine with all the basing done just needing to be painted.

Posted Image

the best thing with using foamboard is tha fact its foam sandwiched between two pieces of card so very easy to cut out base shapes.

#4 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

And remember that your last crewman doesn't need to be removable as the whole model is removed when the last 'wound' is. This is obviously more useful information for the new grudge and bolt throwers, as they each have a Dawi holding a winch that attaches to the machine.

#5 Thane Morgran

Thane Morgran

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

I do mine just the same as dazza, except I mount the piece of foamboard inside one of the GW modular movement trays. Here's how it looks:
Posted ImagePosted Image

A couple of points worth noting; firstly, cut the sections out for the bases to stand in before you glue it to the bottom of the tray; secondly, make sure to cover the exposed bits of foam with a coat of PVA if you're going to spray undercoat it, otherwise the solvent in the spray can eat away the foam...

#6 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Well consider me schooled! Thanks a lot for all the detailed information guys, greatly appreciate it! Not being a natural at modelling I would have never thought of some of these (what you guys might consider rather basic!) tips. Thanks again and remind me; I owe y'all a round!

Edited by The Bearded Baron, 16 April 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#7 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

great ideas and suggestion - all you guys rock

#8 Xandar

Xandar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

I have almost the same base. I made 4 holes (I made them before the "last servant, machine gone" rule), one is in case I add an engineer. I fill it with a small filler (a rock, a bucket, etc) and I can remove it if needed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannon, bases, diorama, movement tray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users