13 replies to this topic

#1 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Tromm!! I love the Dawi and my army though small is very important to me. I am a huge fan of the books and anything dwarf related From Warhammer to LOTR and even Forgotten Realms (( Long live Bruenor)). Finally i am starting to build my own army. My mane theme is a Slayer army with Ungrim Ironfist as the leader. I have several questions in regards to my growing army like what units i should add what works well with my slayers. Here is a listing of my small but growing army.
i have a decent amount of the older dwarven warriors too.
30 dwarf warriors single handed weapon and shield with champions
10 thunderers with champion
15 miners with champion
10 quarlers
15 slayers
3 giant slayers
1 white dwarf
1 long drong
1 gotrek and felix
1 garagrim ironfist
1 ungrim ironfist
1 goblin hewer
3 battle for skull pass cannons
1 battle for skull pass given to me for free from a friend completely untouched.

I wish to find a unit of Long Drong's Slayer pirates but can they even be used now? As they were a Dog of war unit as well as my gotrek and felix?
I plan on getting a unit with command of hammerers and ironbreakers as well as a flame cannon.

Another huge thing is finding Dwarven themed scenery. I would really like to get a decent looking keep i have a few dwarven statues and even what looks like a small mine but my Dawi need some good strong walls! How well does Bugman and his rangers do as a unit?

It will take me a bit but i will get some pics up of my army and scenery.

Edited by gortock grimblade, 27 March 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#2 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Awhile back i had three doomseekers sadly they are gone can they still be used? if so and even if not i still would love to get a few where is a good place other than ebay to get them?

#3 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Firstly welcome to the Brewery. I'll try and answer some of your questionsbut its late so some things maybe wrong.

Yes you can use long drong's slayers but only unofficially, and with your opponents permission, or you can just proxy them as normal slayers. Same go for doom seekers, if your looking for them, when you reach 50 posts you can ask in the market place. Do not spam to get to 50posts though or you will be punished possibly banned. Other warhammer based forums will have trade areas too.

Hammerers and Ironbreakers are a good choice, I'd personally hold back on the flame cannon though because the current rules aren't so good, as they are no they rules for flame guns in the rule book and not in the current dwarf army book. If you haven't seen it already go onto the GW website and download the dwarf FAQ/Errata to go with your army book, which will help bring it up to 8th edd.

Not knowing what your injury is I can't comment, but I will say that one of the old 'Eavy metal team (one of the Perry twins if memory serves) lost a hand and was still able to paint to a top standard with practise. This forum doesn't support comissioned painters and threads asking for them will be closed, if you talk to someone through personal messages then thats your choice, personally I'd just keep trying and practising your painting rather than giving up on it.

It sounds like you have a good start on dwarfen terrain, I wish my dwarfs were so lucky, atm I have neither time or space to paint my dwarf models never mind making terrain for them, but that is the life of a new parent, everything has to be out of reach for little ones, and so my paints are stored away in a box and my dwarfs on a high shelf.

Rangers are a unit that as a dwarf take some skill to use as they start out away from the support of the other units. If you want to use them then go for it, but an anvil in the army would give them a supportive edge. I would advise you to look around the forum for the various tactics and list threads to help you designing your army to understand the units full potential.

Once again I welcome you to the Brewery, and offer a pint on my tab.

#4 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the advice bonecrusher!! and ill edit the painting part out sorry i missed that. I am very excited for my Dwarven army in all honesty and cant wait to someday ahev a large Throng of Dawi warriors. Does Thunderers have a advantage over crossbows?? or vise versa?

#5 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Well it depends on the situation. quarrellers have longer range, a cheaper points wise and can be upgraded to have GWs which makes them a moderate combat unit in addition to being a good shooting unit...thunderers are better against heavily armored troops as they have armor peircing and have +1 to hit so are more accurate...I myself prefer quarrellers because they can be a shooting and close combat unit.

#6 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

as far as ranged weapons are concerned any personal favorites? i have the goblin hewer and the black fire pass canons... i love my hewer! and the slayer engineers too! they look awesome. be nice if they made a snorri nosebiter figure. then i could have gotrek, Maleki and snorri on the field together! but back to that cannons,organ guns,grudge throwers ballista,gyrocopters,hewers, a preference to any? Also could the crew from the hewrs be used as the crew for other siege weapons?? it be great to be able to incorporate the slayer look into my army that way. And any thing that you customize is not tournament legal?

#7 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Cannons, GTs and ogran guns are deffinetly the best current warmachines we have (unfortunetly the goblin hewer is no longer in our army book, and I never had a model because that was OOP before I got into the hobby). Cannons are best for taking down monsters and other big targets, GTs or elite troops (or any troops for that matter, just best to take out elites 1st), and organ guns are good against heavily armoured targets due to -3 to AS and don't need to roll to hit.

Agreed they should make a Snorri Nosebitter character, Gotrek and Felix as well...deffinetly one of the most popular warhammer novels so models would be very popular.

#8 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

Bah they took away Mah Hewer!!!! Damn i guess i could use the crew for a cannon? Kind of in shock i cant use my goblin hewer need to sit here a bit lol. First my Long dorng then my doom seekers now my hewer making it hard to find variation in a slayer army.

#9 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

Ya can't really make a slayer army these days with our current list..using the goblin hewer crew for a cannon would work though, or any warmachine for that matter.

#10 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

well that atleast is good to know!

#11 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

They did make a snorri model (he's the one with nails in his head isn't he?), but they were for collectors so I'm not sure if they are available now outside of trading/ebay. They were more dynamic than gaming models but were slightly larger scale.
Unfortunatly the slayer army as well as Gotrek, Ungrim, Garagrim, the goblin hewer and doomseekers are no longer officially recognised by GW, but there is nothing stopping you from using them in friendly games with your opponents permission or proxying them for something else.........for example you could use doomseekers as unit filleres, and the goblin hewer as an organ gun, and Ungrim as a dwarf lord which would all help you keep with a slayer theme army.

As for torniment legal that would depend on the torniment, the best way to determine what you can use is to call up and talk to the organisers directly. I will warn you though if its a GW torniment non-GW models won't be allowed.

As for preferance for warmachines, I'd have at least one of each of a cannon, stone thrower and organ gun in a 2k list.

#12 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

First of all, welcome to the brewery! Have one on Crusher's tab!

Secondly, it is indeed true that Gotrek, Felix, Ungrimm, Garagrim, Long Drong 'n Unit, Doomseekers, Brothers of Grimnir and the Goblin Hewer cannot be used anymore. But for friendly games it should be fine (ask and aware your opponent though). Goblin Hewers are also great ' count as' Organ Guns.

For a real-real slayer army I advice you seek out one of the unofficial lists for the 8th ed. (you can find mine in the fields beyond) or the Storm of Chaos book. Avatars of War have epic slayers made by GW's best ex-employed-dwarf-sculptor. I would really check them out.

In my sig. you'll also find a link to The Slayer Brotherhood, a forum dedicated to slayers.

#13 gortock grimblade

gortock grimblade

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thank you ThaneWill i will have to check it out as i am a hge fan of slayers, i have a questiong i have looked at the GW site do they not sell any dwarven scenery? seems mostly Empire and a few chaos themed ones. Which all look great dont get me wrong but my Dawi need a decent Hold!

#14 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

GW indeed does not sell dwarf scenery, but the castle-thing could be transformed to dawi work I think, and the house into a brewhouse. Or you just make fully your own.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, question, advice needed, long drong bugman, slayer, scenery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users