Photo

Grumpy Old Man's Grumpy Old Dwarfs (Side Projects 21.10.2013)

army project oop dwarfs

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 Drakkol

Drakkol

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

:paint3: Love them. Simply.

#102 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Now I try to transform that love to energy and channel it to my project :P

#103 cros13

cros13

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

hey buddy, i must say that your army is fast becoming one of my favorites on the whole brewery. your banners are truley a work of art, and your bases are fine to me, mainly because i do mine the same way haha!

Rudolf.

#104 Jaeckel

Jaeckel

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Excellent army, full of great ideas (the banners, the conversion for the general): keep on painting!

#105 Hitmonkey

Hitmonkey

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

I just found this thread. OMG, this army makes me so inspired. Pahvivalmiste, you are a master!

#106 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I would again like to thank all Brewery members posting in this thread for encouragement and compliments. It's very nice to get some positive feedback, but negative feedback is also taken into account! I'll try my best with the painting, whereas with writing...

Here's a small piece of tongue-in-cheek fluff I wrote for the army while I was bored writing work-related stuff. If you read it, feel free point out any grammatical etc. errors.

Karak Barazund

Relatively young dwarf hold of Karak Barazund, also known as Karak eighty-eight peaks, lies in a small glen located near the Black Mountains. Two streams, that bring fertility to crops and dwarfs alike, run to the valley through slopes covered by rocks and ever-pervading green grass.

The hold resembles a small castle from the outside but, as usual for dwarf holds, extends deep in to the mountains. Here the dwarfs mine ores and smite civil and military paraphernalia for themselves and for trade. These products are mostly exchanged for wood, wool and food with humans residing in and around the glen and beyond. Barazund’s wealth is not great, but it is growing.

Wood use dates back to the early days of the hold, when coal was not yet available in sufficient quantities. It caused some controversy among traditionalist dwarf colonists, but as it was found to be cost-efficient and sometimes better material compared to stone and other options, most grumbling vanished. Ogre dung remains a popular alternative to firewood in the upper echelons of the holds society.

Speaking of upper echelons, Karak Barazund is ruled by King Ufdi Baraz. Ufdi is known both for his curly beard and calling the hold “Karak eighty-eight peaks” as a marketing ploy a century ago. The latter attracted many hopeful dwarf colonists to the area. The effects of his other claim to fame remain unknown, although there exists a story about a triangle drama involving local human prince Tafkap and a rinn falling asleep after biting an apple.

Other notable personalities in the hold include King’s twin brother Tromm Baraz, a brave and capable warrior with conservative mindset, and Krink Rutz, an erratic Runesmith struggling on the border between venerability and senility. There are a few more, like Master Engineer Krutong, but their tales are to be told elsewhere. Tromm usually leads the hold’s army to battle while King Ufdi concentrates on profan… protecting the ladies at home.

Karak Barazund maintains a small permanent garrison, which protects the trade around the hold and performs internal security duties. The army is mustered only when there is an external threat to the hold or the nearby human settlements. These threats can vary from rampaging orcs or undead to the peasant mobs offended by the prices demanded by hold’s merchants. And then there are rumours about once slain dragon’s young lurking nearby…

Sources: mainly this blog and WHFB 4th & 6th ed. Dwarf army books

Edit: headline & some tautology

Edited by Pahvivalmiste, 20 October 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#107 Vidpui

Vidpui

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Great stuff, both painting and the fluff.

#108 Grimwald the Surly

Grimwald the Surly

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Awesome painting. Really like how the old models rank up and look unique.

#109 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hello,

long time no see… I’ve been busy with my Dark Elf army (side) project but I decided to finally complete the warmachine base tutorial I promised to do (for Theatralic). Only one of the warmachines (without crew) is finished so far, but I guess it’s enough for this purpose. Pictures follow. The DE are here in case you’re interested: http://bloodforum.tr...c.php?f=8&t=355

Warmachine Base Tutorial

Ingredients:

2 mm Plasticard (+ some leftover 0,5 mm pieces)

Milliput (Standard)

Green Stuff

Cocktail Sticks

Sand

Modeling Grass (light/dark shade)

Cork rubble

Paints (mostly brown and green)

Warmachines

Sandpaper/file

Modeling knife

Saw

I’ve taken pictures of the different stages I made the bases and warmachines. I’ll try to explain what I did stage-by stage.

Picture 1

1: I first used a saw to get suitable sized pieces of plasticard for warmachines I was working on – a Cannon and two Goblobbers. I planned the positions of the machines and the crew at this stage. This helped in finding reasonable base sizes. Cannon base is 3” x 3” and Goblobber bases were 3” x 4,5”. Edges of the Cannon base are rounded and sanded in the picture.

2: The positions of the crew are on the making here. I made the slots with Milliput. I’d recommend using Milliput/greenstuff mixture, though, as it is easier to cut and shape afterwards. Other option would be 3 mm wood/plasticard, both of which would probably give a neater edge than putty.

3: The positions of the crews are ready and shown in the picture. I’ve glued pieces of plasticard to bases to help with shaping the surface and to reduce the use of putty.

4: This is the final shape of bases before texture work. The surface shapes are made with putty. White lines on the lower (Goblobber) base mark the position of wheels. The plan was to put the machine little off from the center. This is due to it’s size – I did not want to make a very big base. On the right are some accessories I made from Greenstuff/Milliput mixture: stones, barrel, WIP front plate for the second goblobber, cannon accessory and cannonballs. The front plate was made ‘cause I thought it would be nice to differentiate the Goblobbers. I planned to put the stones on the converted Goblobber’s base and the Goblobber ammunition that comes with the original set to the standard Goblobber’s base.

1_zpsc5ceb911.jpg

Picture 2

1: The start of base surfaces: I’ve glued cork pieces (which simulate rocks) and some accessories to the bases and painted the crew spots earth brown.

2: The bases with sand added. The sand on the rightmost base has not been painted, but on the other bases there is a layer of flat earth brown. War machine accessories are also mostly in place (Goblobber Goblin ammunition and Cannon accessory are to be added later). I used synthetic glue, but I think PVA would be ok too.

3: Here the sand, cork stones and accessories are painted – sand & cork were drybrushed with light yellow & white, then washed with sepia ink. Afterwards I added a few highlights with gentle dry brushes of white. Accessories are painted too. Finally I painted the areas of grass green. War machine wheel spots were left unpainted – they’re supposed to be finished when the machines are ready.

4: Here I have glued two different colours of static grass to bases. The only thing to do is to attach the machines…

5_zpsc694734a.jpg

Here are the machines in various stages of completion. The one in the middle is (almost) ready. I painted most of the wheels and carriage parts before assembling the models and attaching them to bases. I paint NMM effects and detailing after attachment (NMM on the lobber on the right is WIP and I the cannon is still at a very early stage).

Goblobber_zpse1fc75b1.jpg

Almost finished Goblobber (wheel spots are still without grass, ammunition & crew are not ready).

Warmachines_zpse1472aee.jpg

Edited by Pahvivalmiste, 13 March 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#110 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I agree with all of the above...really stunning figures! They look stupendous en mass! And your banners are some of the best I've seen.

The WM look great and I will certainly be stealing some ideas from this description of you basing.

Can't wait to see more!

Cheers,

Blue

Edited by Blue in VT, 13 March 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#111 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Nice work.

In reference to your bases have you ever tried foamboard? that way you could simply cut out the places for the crew bases and probably save yourself alot of time and effort having to build up the base with milliput.

Heres a few of my cannon bases i did a while ago.

dwarf196.jpgdwarf197.jpg

And the finished piece

dwarf210.jpg

#112 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Excellent tutorial, thanks Pahvivalmiste. :)

#113 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Blue: I'm not sure if my basing ideas are that original, but it's good if sharing them gives ideas. After your comments I'm beginning to feel that banners might be my strongest aspect... :P Ps. Thanks for the deal.

Dazza: Your bases look as fabulous as ever. I've used foamboard in the past but here I felt that it's not sturdy enough. Using putty gives the bases a little thinner look than foam and some crew spots are really very tight (too thin lines to cut on foam). Using putty was time-consuming, though, as you pointed out. Looking back I could (should) probably have used foamboard, at least on some places. Maybe I should add foam as an alternative to the tutorial.

When I made the bases I thought about the possibility to add some depression/wheel markings (to emphasize where the machine had been pushed/moved) to sand or grass, but thought it would have required a different approach. Static grass and hard milliput are not very good for this purpose; sand and foam are better. Somebody labeled this army as "candyish", which I find is a fitting expression - I think these war machine bases reflect it too.

Dourin: thanks :)

#114 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Nice work as always. My only critique would be to mix up some different colours of static grasses for a bit of variety.

Otherwise the bases look great... and 2 rocklobbers... marvellous!

#115 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Many thanks Pahvivalmiste, glad that you didn`t forget about my "request", love it!

#116 Bayard

Bayard

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

I see many cool models here ;) Ad I really love your banners, especially your BSB. Motto is very accurate ;) And the Dragon... My dwarfs are from Kraka Drak, so Dragon theme is familiar to me ;)

#117 The Viking Stig

The Viking Stig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Fabulous looking army, I'm particularly sold on the WM bases, they look stunning!

#118 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Darkblade: I appreciate your critique, but in this project I'm adamantly sticking with the mono-coloured static grass approach :P

Theatralic: I painted the WM stuff before Christmas but I didn't complete the tutorial for various reasons 'till now. Better late than ever...

Stig: I think there are tutorials for producing better looking bases than mine around, but this is the way I do them for this project. I'm glad if it provides ideas, of course. From the top of my head I can recommend Dazza36's and Darkblade's tutorials.

Reason I've been busy hobbywise (Darkblade and I have similar issues):

The whole army (Druchii): http://www.druchii.n...php?f=9&t=71869

#119 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hello!

I’ve decided to continue my speed-painting endeavours. First I had my Dark Elf army painted with the aid of dip (I might return to that as there’s a new army book available). This time I’ve painted a Beastmen army using mostly a really simple painting method: white undercoat, ink/wash layer and wash/floor polish wash. Only some minor details are picked afterwards (eyes, teeth, flags and such). Even the sand used in the bases is unpainted to increase the speed of production…

The army is usable in 8th edition WHFB (about 3000 points) and consist both old and new models. I put the pictures of old ones first as I suppose they are more interesting to readers of this forum (at least they are for me
). Anyways, here we go:

Minotaurs:

Minos2_zpse7e7f729.jpg

Giant:

okgiant_zps94ea8450.jpg

Harpies:

Harpies_zps5ea1e478.jpg

Gors:

Unit_zpsf0fd1f86.jpg

Other Stuff:

collash_zps75c553a7.jpg

The Whole Army:

Army_zps70f9a413.jpg

The completion of the army took about three months – I started in July and all the stuff was basecoated at the beginning of August. I consider this relatively fast as I didn’t really have much time to paint – some early mornings, some late evenings and a couple of free hours (even two days!) when wife and our ½ year old twins were somewhere.

After this project I have too armies available for playing – I’m planning to return to normal painting in my next and ongoing projects. Maybe I’ll return to Dwarfs, but I also have some historicals waiting. Anyways, I hope you enjoy (and don’t judge these too harshly
 :) ).

#120 Stewar

Stewar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I love the idea for those skirmisher's movement treads.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: army, project, oop, dwarfs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users