Photo

Grumpy Old Man's Grumpy Old Dwarfs (Side Projects 21.10.2013)

army project oop dwarfs

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 Gorrin

Gorrin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Brother,

Thanks for your post in my thread. Glad we have a similar story (as well as a lot of the same models!).

Keep up the good work.

All the best.

#22 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hello,

my project proceeds slowly, but unsurely. So far I've managed to finish 24 dwarf warriors + general. That's not a lot, but luckily a group of 22 warriors and two unit fillers is on the works. I hope I'll manage to finish these two 30-strong units by the end of the summer... this one has shields, the other will have great weapons.

Here's the last batch:

Posted Image

I'm not totally satisfied with the base blue colour of the flag and I'll probably get back to it later. Otherwise these are pretty similar to the ones I've already finished. Maybe may painting has improved a bit. At least I hope so and I'm getting a sort of routine back. The unit fillers are going to be a Bugman's Cart (6 bases) and an old Adventurer's Cart (8 bases). I'll add some civilian figures to those, of course.

Picture of the whole unit so far:

Posted Image

#23 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

These are looking great :) Love the wolf pelt banner and the freehand work.

#24 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the compliments, mr. Alebelly!

I intend to do similar "a simple semi-heraldic shield on a round shield" banner for at least all my core units to give them uniform look. It's also relatively fast to paint... I'll probably use different colours for different units. The special units might get individual banners.

#25 Fanai Glimmerclaw

Fanai Glimmerclaw

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

that is a marvelous banner - the unit works very well and like the hoods etc
some great ideas there

#26 cros13

cros13

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

wow cant believe i missed this until now! that banner is insanely good!! as is the NMM on the swords, and also i like the blue's and how you have done them, especially the shields.

#27 Drakkol

Drakkol

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I love dwarfs...i love wolves...this is the best summary of them i'veever seen. :buba: Chapeau! :hi:

#28 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

A great sight for the eye, your painting is great and the army sheme lovely, more of this please.

Edited by Theatralic, 30 May 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#29 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Absolutely perfect! :i-m_so_happy:

#30 Anvilborn

Anvilborn

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

A great sight for teh eyes, your painting is great and the army scheme lovely, more of this please.

yes we demand more of ur awesome work! :D

#31 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Welcome to the brewery. I love the work you've done so far -especially the dwarf lord & the banners. I friggin love the wolf banner especially. Is that the standard banner you did the image on or a crafted one from cardstock or something? Been toying around with creating my own banner from scratch but not sure how I would mount /secure it once it's painted up.
great work so far
cheers

#32 Vidpui

Vidpui

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

WOW!!! nicely painted dwarfs and awesome banner. thanks for sharing

#33 Rinn Zylra

Rinn Zylra

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Very nice indeed.... Makes me wish that SK and I could find more of those fine old figures... So far we have two units of the old Thunders, and of course two units of WK's figures as well. We will keep looking...

#34 hoegaarden

hoegaarden

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

one of the nicest themed units I've seen! How did you come up with the wolf freehand idea?

#35 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

Hello all, and thanks for the compliments again. I've enjoyed painting these and it's nice someone else likes my work. I think that, in addition to the blue issue, the "wolf pelt" edge might require a little lighter tone to distinguish it better from the grey NMM used in the unit, but maybe I'm just self-critical... oh dear.

Is that the standard banner you did the image on or a crafted one from cardstock or something? Been toying around with creating my own banner from scratch but not sure how I would mount /secure it once it's painted up.

The banner is a piece of relatively thick paper (120g/m2 or something) that I attached in place with greenstuff. I first draw a sketch with a pencil and then lined the picture's edges with a marker. I painted the banner's pictures and most of the background before cutting it to final shape and attaching it (I recommend painting it all before attaching, but sometimes it's better to see how it works on the figure before completing it).

Here's a picture of the WIP banner:
http://i1161.photobu...te/Blog/WIP.jpg

I think I could have cut the paper so that it had included straps for attachment. Like this: http://www.brassmonk...arf-banners.jpg

Other option is to make a two-sided banner that wraps aroud the pole (perhaps not suitable here, but usable on vertical banner poles). Also, the paper is strong enough when painted/glued, but I recall someone using beer can metal among other materials. Greenstuff is also an option if one wants detailed & varied surface effects. But here I just used greenstuff for the edge - I first made a thin trim aroud the paper's edges and after it dried I attached it to the banner pole. After that I sculpted the detail with additional layer of green stuff. You could also use thin metal wire etc. for attaching the banner.

Some sketches for the banners are here (the picture includes the spot where the wolf banner was, a BSB and GW unit standard bearer): http://i1161.photobu...31052012511.jpg

How did you come up with the wolf freehand idea?

My old army standard had a picture of a dragon and so I thought I'd paint a dragon standard this time too. As a few of the old dwarf standard bearer figures have animals on top of their banner poles (I have one with a boar, one with an eagle and one with a gryphon), I thought that an overall animal theme would be appropriate for the unit standards. Also, animal heraldry was common in the old days (both real and Warhammer).

I decided to use this same basic design for all core units: a semi-heraldic shield. By semi-heraldic I mean that the design is not done according to the established heraldic rules, but includes some stylistically heraldic elements (shield, albeit a wrong shaped, the picture of the wolf is "flat" and not realistic etc.). Round shield design is also relatively easy to duplicate and hopefully gives an uniform feel to the army, even if different colours and borders are used. I also tried took account the various lenghts of the miniatures banner poles as I don't want to convert the original figures too much - I made an educated guess (e.g. some measuring...) that the round shape of this size is both big enough to be distinguishable and small enough to fit into various banner poles.

For the imagery I wanted to use animals that have some kind of connotation to the unit using them, and I also wanted to use normal animals native to Northern/Central Europe (corresponding to areas where most dwarfs live in Warhammer world) for core units. I looked at old heraldry a bit and then draw some sketches. So... this unit gets a wolf and the GW unit gets a bear (meat-eaters to symbolize aggression/strenght). Quarrellers will get a boar and an eagle (and corresponding standard bearers), Thunderers will get either an ox or an elk (I'm not sure yet). I thought about lynxes and stoats, but I think these are a bit timid/obscure etc. (who fears a wolverine when one does not recognize it?).

Special units might get traditional fantasy animals or individual banners (Hammerers get a gryphon standard, Miners get a badger or a tunnel map, Slayers get a troll and Iron Breakers... Gorgon? Basilisk? Rust Monster!?!). I' m not sure yet... mumbo-jumbo... You did ask.. :P

But I sure hope I had more time to paint. Now back to work...

#36 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hello,

a small update this time. I got a little tired of painting rank and file and decided to try my hand/brush on classic(?) runesmith model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The light was bad (it's rainy), but I think this gives a general idea about the paintjob. The result looks reasonable, but i
I'm not totally satisfied: perhaps it is a little flat and I could have done better job with the beard: the colour is perhaps little too close to NMM gold and the runestones. The latter I painted with roughly the the same colours I use for rocks on my bases.

Looking at other people's painting I also get the feeling that my painting is little old school/conservative, but maybe that suits me. The thing is that the model was really hard to paint. It has lots of small, hard-to-reach details and I also tried to do it well. So... I'm happy I managed to finish it. And this time I put a little more effort to the base!

#37 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

You'll see from my avatar that I love thi model, great choice and the paint job looks great to me :)

#38 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thanks, mr. Alebelly. I'll take a better picture next time I'll update - the ones I posted make some colours disappear.

But but... I have to say I don't love the model :D It really is not a great pleasure to paint and it is also rather small, even for a dwarf miniature. The size was one reason I put it on a stone slab. The other reason was that in it's original height it was hard to fit it sensibly in a unit... anyways, I do think that the miniature (both as a scult and when painted - the stages in between excluded) has certain charm.

#39 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

I can only mirror the comments of the members above, a very well done. I'm glad you took on the comment and changed your basing, it certainly improved the look.

I'll be following this thread with interest and am particularly interested in the up and coming banners.

Good luck.

#40 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the comment, Darkblade. I think the advice about the bases was sound - I'm also open to other ideas.

I promise to make a new banner for the next update post. Meanwhile, here's a little WIP unit filler (partly unpainted and with some colours needing work):

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: army, project, oop, dwarfs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users