Photo

Grumpy Old Man's Grumpy Old Dwarfs (Side Projects 21.10.2013)

army project oop dwarfs

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hello, dear reader!

I dug my boxes in the attic about a month ago and discovered my old dwarf army. I thought about selling them at first, but after some hassle I decided that I'll try to paint them myself.

Most of my dwarves were collected in early 1990's. In the boxes were two 25-sized warrior units, two 12-sized quarreller units, a 12-strong unit of each of thunderers, iron breakers, hammerers and slayers as well as three cannons, a grudge thrower, an organ gun and a bolt thrower. There were also some extra dwarfs. I made a few ebay purchases this month to make the army more playable under current rules, which means all units are now 30-20 strong.

I started the project by stripping the paint off from most of my old units. Some figures had not that great paint jobs and those that were better painted had the paint worn off after almost 20 years in storage. I also want to create somewhat uniform colour scheme, try some NMM etc. I hope this thread motivates me to paint my army as I never managed to finish it in my teens. I'm also happy about comments, tips etc.

A picture of my original collection (missing slayers and a couple of other figures, general has new paint job and khaki-coloured dudes have a new basecoat):

Armeija1.jpg

I started the project by converting and painting my army general, a lord with shield bearers. The figure is an old Norse dwarf that I had intented to use as the general already in the 1990's: I had cut the guy's puny hammer and shield boss away. I found an old Orc scimitar from my bitz box and pinned it to the figure's hand. I also removed the slottabase fitting and a small Orc head under the guy's boot. The shield is an old Dark elf shield from Marauder Miniatures. I think they could be trophies, or something. The shield bearer on the right had a spear that I cut off.

Mr. General:

General1.jpg

After the general I started working with the other big unit of dwarf warriors. Seven of them are now finished:

Seven3.jpg

Seven2.jpg

I intend to paint these one unit at a time. I found that painting NMM even reasonably well is rather tedious (I don't really have previous experience) and I probably should just have used metallic paints to save time. But choices are choices... I'll try to get nice-looking results without spending too much time.

Here's a picture of my old Iron Breakers for comparison. They were the unit with the best paint job in my old army - I'll strip the paint off them last, as they'll probably be painted last for tabletop reasons. I think you can see that their paint job has suffered during the storage years in the picture (e.g. the guy's axe on the left, musician's horn):

IB2.jpg

Apologies about the quality of pictures - I'll try to get a better camera some way along the road. I'll try to update this thread with new stuff from time to time, the next step is to finish the first warrior unit. Any comments etc. are welcome and I'll of course read and respond to them.

Thanks for reading, I hope you get something out of this!

Edited by Pahvivalmiste, 21 October 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#2 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Wow, excellent first post here! Welcome to the Biggest, Bestest, Baddest, Beardiest and Bieriest Brewery this side of the Undgrin Ankor!

Excellent job done on those mini's. Even the Ironbreakers that you're not that happy with anymore are still very well executed. A muted paintjob that serves to give the unit cohesion with an awesome banner to boot.

Excellent job once again, have a pint on ol' Daft's Tab!

Dourin

#3 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Wonderful!! another old Lead head! very nice to have you here and I'm very excited to see your classic army come together.

Cheers,

Blue

#4 theorox

theorox

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Man, those are awesome. Great paintjobs all around, particularly like the leathery skin. And the freehand on that banner is amazing... :guinesssmilie:

Theo

#5 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Welcome to the Brewery!

Those are some beautifully painted models! And the selection is great too. Really looking forward to seeing more work of yours! :)

:hi:

#6 Zak

Zak

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

nice :clapping:

#7 Captn Morgrim

Captn Morgrim

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

I can naught but second me Brewery Dwarves 'ere. Excellent miniatures indeed, nearly a shame that ye'll be stripping the Ironbreakers of their fine paintjob, but then I 'm looking forrard to see more of yer current work!

Oh, I must that the scimitar wielding Dwarf King stands out indeed, even tho I suspect that 'twas once an Orc Blade what he wields there.

#8 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the kind words and for the warm welcome. I'll try to participate in the forum discussions from time to time.

After above comments I'll reconsider saving the Iron Breakers - if I strip them, I'll do it after the rest of the army is finished. Maybe I'll look for extra models if the feeling of nostalgia is too overwhelming. I do like them in a way myself, but they're just different in style from what I want this army to look like. And I hope I have gotten a bit better during the years, even though I have painted miniatures only a little :)

So, thanks again - I'm looking forward to see other people's work and comments on the forum!

#9 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Absolutely fantastic work. Every time I start to get proud of my paint jobs, I come here and go "huh".

Edited by Montegue, 20 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#10 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Oh, by the way, I guess you're a fellow Finn! :D

:hi:

#11 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Welcome Pahvivalmiste. Thats a great looking army you've got yourself there, and you've done a lovely job on them. If i could give one small criticism it would be the bases, green trim is very retro and all that grass in my opinion just doesn't work, i would suggest looking for the great tutorial that Blue in VT did.

#12 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Welcome Pahvivalmiste. Thats a great looking army you've got yourself there, and you've done a lovely job on them. If i could give one small criticism it would be the bases, green trim is very retro and all that grass in my opinion just doesn't work, i would suggest looking for the great tutorial that Blue in VT did.

Thanks for the welcome, as well as small criticism. Although green retro base trim is the new black, I have to admit that I was a bit lazy with the bases. I used to have a grass battlefield and with these figures I just added a few areas of sand to create a little variation to texture, as I used to do in the past... perhaps the use of grass is a bit excessive and I could tone it down. I might add mushrooms, pieces of wood etc. on some figures' bases.

As the project has just started, there might be a chance to change the base theme altogether. I've considered bricks, masonry, stonework, rough and fine sand etc., but somehow the grass/sand variation just feels the easiest way. I took a look at your Dwarfs' bases and noticed that you'd used a lot of pebbles and sand and only a little grass - are you suggesting something similar for my dwarves? Perhaps you could give a link to that tutorial you mentioned?

Anyways, thanks for the thoughts about bases :)

#13 Drakkol

Drakkol

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Awsome. I like very much old minis...it's known:older is better. ^_^

Edited by Drakkol, 21 March 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#14 Ingway Ironfist

Ingway Ironfist

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

well sunshine i can't moan about those, they are bloody great!

#15 Alaric Saltzman

Alaric Saltzman

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

the painting is very well done, but the basing looks a bit amateurish. The green sides + green static grass could perhaps be varied to give the bases less of a neon lightbulb effect. I would suggest black or graveyard earth sides

#16 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Here's that LINK

#17 Lord Bear

Lord Bear

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

I have not seensomeofthose figs in years ,looking forward to seeing them painted

#18 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Oukie doukie, "Alaric Saltzman" and "dazza 36". Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll decrease the amount of grass and increase the amount of gravel/sand areas & other stuff in the next figures. And perhaps I should change the trim colour too - I'll switch the green to some earth colour.

#19 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for everyone about your comments/interest. I’ll post a little update as I managed to finish six more figures:
Posted Image
I considered the criticism about the bases and decided to put a little more effort to them. I reduced the amount of grass and increased the amount of sand, painted the sand with more attention than previously, added some colour variation and changed the colour of the trim. I might return to the bases later still, but these will suffice for now. I also constructed a movement tray:
Posted Image
So... after I’ve finished the unit, I’ll probably try my hand on a warmachine or an “unit filler” for a change.

#20 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

I think they are looking great! I like the new bases and your painting is very clean and smooth. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Blue

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: army, project, oop, dwarfs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users