• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

If anyone has read any of my topics you will know that I usually play ogres and have a hard time against them (Which is usually down to shocking dice roles as I rolled a 1 three times when I used my cannon last game inflicting no damage whatsoever!)

So here is another question about them what would be better to take against them?
QUARRELLERS OR THUNDERERS?

#2 Impy

Impy

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Neither are ideal against Ogres, but since they usually have relatively little armor and it's important to hit them as soon as possible, I'd go with Quarrelers. Quarrelers can also be given Great Weapons, which will make them useful in the combat stages of the game.

#3 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Well it depends what sort of Ogre army you are facing. If it's an Ogre army with a lot of shooting I'd take thunderers. Otherwise I'd take Quarrellers with Gws...personally I prefer quarrellers with GWs because they are a point cheaper and they can be used in CC or for shooting.

#4 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

So, i've never really understood whats the difference with Quarrellers apart from being cheaper points and being able to have Gws because Thunderers are armour piercing which would seem to make more sense against Ogres.

#5 Nagrin Quakinson

Nagrin Quakinson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'm not sure if that would make sense since normal Ogres (by which I mean Ironguts) have just 5+ save.
And ability to shoot Ogres faster (30 inches range) and actually wound them in combat is also worth noting.
If you think about mournafangs - well, OGs are your friend here.

#6 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

because Thunderers are armour piercing which would seem to make more sense against Ogres.

Ogres don't have much armor so armor piercing isn't neccessary...the real advantage of thunderers is the +1 to hit. if they didn't have that I'd always take quarrellers. So if you want the maximum amount of damage from shooting, I'd takt thunderers, but if you want a unit that can shoot and do well in CC take quarrellers with GWs.

#7 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

How come they have a +1 to hit because i know that they have dwarf handguns but why do they hit on a +1 because they would have to have weapon skill 6 to do this.

#8 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I don't know what you are talking about...they get a +1 modifer to hit modifier for shooting beause dwarf handguns are the most well made guns in the world..

#9 garetvarr

garetvarr

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Me thinks young un you need to read your AB a bit more closely. As Alaric says the +1 applies to the "to hit" modifier, because dwarf handguns are better made than umgi ones, rifling presumably.

#10 Nagrin Quakinson

Nagrin Quakinson

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

@Rurik: usually in WFB if something is written like +1, +2, that means modifiers eg. on "to hit" roll or to amount of attacks.
But if something is written in form of 4+, 5+, that means given value of eg. Armour or Ward Save or value you need to roll eg. to cast a spell (18+ for Mindrazor)

#11 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

AHh ok i didn't quite understand that cheers Nagrin.

#12 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

Here's my take on this. Quarrelers are great because of their greatweapons. If you are facing units of nine ogres vs twenty Qs you'll take a bunch of casualties but dish back the wounds- as I have learned our WS is our best defense against them. Combined with GTs smashing these smaller units, they will be beaten. :umnik2:

If artillery is not a major feature of your army, Thunderers are good as they are more accurate. I usually only take them in units of ten and most buildings are only two stories high. I played a game the other day where my friend pointed out that only half my Q's could shoot from the building. Thunderers would have been better placed there, and safe from impact hits. With their shields and cover and stubborn they would be hard to rout out. (3 Ogres to 10 Dawi per assault.)

Every unit you field should have a specific purpose. If I wanted to hold open terrain and a battle line with artillery backup I choose Quarrelers. If I want to harrass the enemy and get him to waste time having an expensive unit assault a building while my CC-Troops outmaneuver him, I choose Thunderers.

Now go forth and be golden Rurik. :yes:

#13 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Wendersnaven, thank you. I shall go fourth with new ideas in my mind.

all the best.

#14 theorox

theorox

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Neither are ideal against Ogres, but since they usually have relatively little armor and it's important to hit them as soon as possible, I'd go with Quarrelers. Quarrelers can also be given Great Weapons, which will make them useful in the combat stages of the game.

+1. :)

Theo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thunderers, Ogres, Tactics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users