• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I have recently fielded my gyrocopter an against an army of ogres and it has come in extremely usefull as I have been able to harass most of the units and get them into uncomfortable situations. But if anyone has any tips on how to use a gyro more effectively then please post because I am still having trouble beating the ogres.

#2 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

The trouble with Ogres is that they are all T4 or better, so the steam gun doesn't help as much as it might against weedier targets. However, it can still do a number of things well. I tend to use it to get to the flank of a line of Mournfangs and force leadership tests on them if they want to march. It can also help as a rear charge once combat begins with your main line. It's T5 and has two S4 attacks, so it can help against the Sabertusks as well. It's not much good against the Ironblaster/Scraplauncher.

I also like to use it to force fleeing units to flee even further. For example, if I panic a unit, declaring a long charge from the Gyro can force it to flee again if that unit doesn't rally.

#3 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Ok, cheers ill try some of these tactics out.

#4 okaman

okaman

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

Im about to get my first two gyros (will end up withe more) but can only see them being good at frying weaker troops like goblins and clanrats?

#5 Lord Alrik

Lord Alrik

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

In my current list i play with four gyrocoptors much to the annoyance of my fellow dicers. I usually set up two on each flank. People have realized that they have to deal with them which gives my hammer/anvil a chance to get closer. If they dont the gyros get good flank or rear charges also cleans up archer or warmschines. Remember to use your dive bomb runs also which can help soften up r/f units without actually engaging them.

#6 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

... a definite guide to "death from above" a very high on the to-do list of this forum ... 

:respect: for any dawi who gives this a go ..

EDIT PS it is only just that one of the most useful unit in our throng, if not THE most usefull unit, get it's own guide ......

Edited by Pellegrim, 31 May 2015 - 03:19 PM.

#7 Grumpgrim

Grumpgrim

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

I have recently fielded my gyrocopter an against an army of ogres and it has come in extremely usefull as I have been able to harass most of the units and get them into uncomfortable situations. But if anyone has any tips on how to use a gyro more effectively then please post because I am still having trouble beating the ogres.

So only one? I'd say you want 2-3, a solo one tends to just get focused down and not do much.

For ogres it's damage output is abysmal, so the basic duty would be to kill his redirector cats. Then split his blocks from each other and gang up on one half of his army. Thats most there is to it.

#8 Ok Okri

Ok Okri

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

As a first port of call, I always suggest people check out the excellent high elf eagle tactica:
http://www.ulthuan.n...hp?f=66&t=33028

Gyros can do a lot of what the eagles can, and a bit more, but getting to grips with the movement/blocking abilities is something that I think is particularly important as dwarphs.

#9 Lord Alrik

Lord Alrik

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

Dawi learning tactics from elves? ? You sir may shave off your beard

#10 Ozariig

Ozariig

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

Haha, I've linked that Great Eagle tactica here more times than I can count. I guess I'm in the same boat as Ok Okri then  :thumbup:

#11 Granitbeard

Granitbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:47 AM

The best tactic for my Gyros is to leave them on the shelf at home. But that is me, and I apparently do get to do the same things most other players do. I guess it is just the meta...

#12 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:04 AM

The best tactic for my Gyros is to leave them on the shelf at home. But that is me, and I apparently do get to do the same things most other players do. I guess it is just the meta...

Once again, be have similar luck. First turn my gyros can't really move because my opponents will kill them in the next. It's half way through the game before they start shooting. I do have a lot of fun however, using them as kamikaze when I'm feeling fluffy or want to go wizard hunting.

#13 TheLostHold

TheLostHold

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

I've seen people reform blocks of Chaos warriors because of the presence of a Gyrocopter or two.  

Rurik - if ogres continue to cause a problem, try taking a flame cannon.  

#14 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

They are a bit like Bishops in chess - they have excellent movement and can provide good field control, offensive power, and protection, but you really have to think ahead with them and keep them safe (terrain, grungni radius, etc) until they can give up their points in a meaningful way or pick up points from war machines and what not. 

They are so very versatile. I'm getting better with mine. I need to figure out a tactica at some point. 

#15 kgkid

kgkid

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

Montegue hit the point.

Look for last year's (2014) Danish list for ETC. 

It was the best scoring Dwarf list.

Mine was the worst, but it was me, not the list. ;)

#16 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

I was thinking about maybe trying to do a video on the use of the Gyrocopter, but we have less than a month of 8th left, and I have no idea if it will still be applicable at that time. 

#17 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

Montegue hit the point.

Look for last year's (2014) Danish list for ETC. 

It was the best scoring Dwarf list.

Mine was the worst, but it was me, not the list. ;)

woooow

Just looked it up ...

Very special list ... nothing that doesn't shoot

Not fun to play imo

#18 kelvenmore

kelvenmore

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

I was thinking about maybe trying to do a video on the use of the Gyrocopter, but we have less than a month of 8th left, and I have no idea if it will still be applicable at that time.

Do it! That video would be legendary!

#19 Strongbeard_Liam

Strongbeard_Liam

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

agreed!!! I know I'd use it, always looking to learn from the masters

#20 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Do it! That video would be legendary!

Not just legendary, but a useful tool for new players as well, I say do it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gyrocopter, Tactics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users